oracle thin driver

Post by Jeremy Smyt » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to do a simple select in Oracle using the oracle thin driver
and we are getting back the following error:

ORA-03115: unsupported network datatype or representation

The select works when we only use one field, but fails with multiple
fields (all fields are of type varchar).  If we use sqlPlus, everything
works fine.

Thanks

oracle thin driver

Post by Andree Gro? » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to do a simple select in Oracle using the oracle thin driver
> and we are getting back the following error:

> ORA-03115: unsupported network datatype or representation

> The select works when we only use one field, but fails with multiple
> fields (all fields are of type varchar).  If we use sqlPlus, everything
> works fine.

> Thanks

Could you post your part of source please ? Regards

oracle thin driver

Post by Jeremy Smyt » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Could you post your part of source please ? Regards

try
{
        Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver").newInstance();
        Connection conn =
demo.thinweb.com)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(sid=TSTDB)))","scott","tiger");

        ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery(selectStatement);

Quote:}

catch (Exception ex )
{
        ex.printStackTrace();
Quote:}

oracle thin driver

Post by Bob Withe » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.java.databases and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

Quote:> I am trying to do a simple select in Oracle using the oracle thin driver
> and we are getting back the following error:

> ORA-03115: unsupported network datatype or representation

> The select works when we only use one field, but fails with multiple
> fields (all fields are of type varchar).  If we use sqlPlus, everything
> works fine.

Be sure that the version of the thin driver you are using matches the
version of your data base. Check the Oracle web site if you need a
different thin driver.

Regards,
Bob

1. Oracle Thin Driver works - Oracle OCI Driver does not

I am using Oracle 8.0.5 on NT.
My CLASSPATH points to classes111.zip.

The Oracle Thin JDBC connection works fine.
The Oracle OCI JDBC connection does not.
Why?

/*
** Here is the Oracle Thin connection
** This works.
*/
import java.sql.*;

class OracleThin{
  public static void main (String[] args)
  throws SQLException, ClassNotFoundException{
  DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

  /* Here is the only difference between the two */
  Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection

  Statement stmt = conn.createStatement ();
  ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery ("SELECT Ename, Empno FROM Emp");
  while (rset.next ())
  System.out.println (rset.getString(1) + "\t" + rset.getInt(2));
 }

/*
** Here is Oracle OCI connection
** This does not work.
** Why not?
*/
import java.sql.*;

class OracleOCI{
  public static void main (String[] args)
  throws SQLException, ClassNotFoundException{
  DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

  /* Here is the only difference between the two */
  Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection

  Statement stmt = conn.createStatement ();
  ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery ("SELECT Ename, Empno FROM Emp");
  while (rset.next ())
  System.out.println (rset.getString(1) + "\t" + rset.getInt(2));
 }

/*
** Here is the error message
** from the Oracle OCI program

D:\Netscape\Server4\docs\dbtest>java OracleOCI
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no oci73jdbc in
java.
library.path
        at oracle.jdbc.oci7.OCIDBAccess.logon(OCIDBAccess.java:142)
        at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:103)

        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:148)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:457)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:159)
        at OracleOCI.main(OracleOCI.java, Compiled Code)
*/

/***
***  I can tnsping the Oracle service name "sukoi_tcp"

D:\Netscape\Server4\docs\dbtest>tnsping80 sukoi_tcp
TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on
08-JUN-00 11:54:02

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=sukoi)(PORT=1521))
OK (30 msec)
**/

What's my problem?

Thanks,

Rick Roberts

2. To obtain Mixed case column Title in SELECT (sql or isql)

3. bug in jdbc:oracle:thin driver

4. Niraj Sood testing, destroy this message

5. Oracle thin driver and JRun (timeouts)

6. New version of myschema

7. Oracle thin driver

8. Probleme de librairie cc D3 sur SCO

9. oracle thin driver

10. oracle thin driver question

11. Oracle Thin Driver / Memory leaks

12. Oracle thin driver works in NT, not in Unix

13. Oracle Thin Driver JDBC / JSP Example