problems with ODBC drivers and BDE alias: I need explanation

problems with ODBC drivers and BDE alias: I need explanation

Post by Giovanni B., Stefano » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I use windows 95 and Delphi 2.0.
I'm trying to use MS-Access data through ODBC driver.
While configuring ODBC driver from the control panel, in ODBC's help
page is said that if no specific data  source filename is selected or
created for the specific driver, it will be requested when the
connecting to the source. So it is supposed that letting this entry
blank, the driver (and so the BDE alias) can be used like a
not-specific source to any access mdb file.
But when  I use the BDE alias (automatic) with DD no request for a
database source is advanced to me and an error is returned if
connection is confirmed.

So, it is correct saying that I MUST entry the specific source
filename within the control panel before using a BDE alias to an ODBC
driver?

If not, where I fails?

(sorry for my bumpy english :)

Ciao.
Giovanni B., Stefanoni

problems with ODBC drivers and BDE alias: I need explanation

Post by Jani J?rvin » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I use windows 95 and Delphi 2.0.
>I'm trying to use MS-Access data through ODBC driver.
>While configuring ODBC driver from the control panel, in ODBC's help
>page is said that if no specific data  source filename is selected or
>created for the specific driver, it will be requested when the
>connecting to the source. So it is supposed that letting this entry
>blank, the driver (and so the BDE alias) can be used like a
>not-specific source to any access mdb file.
>But when  I use the BDE alias (automatic) with DD no request for a
>database source is advanced to me and an error is returned if
>connection is confirmed.
>So, it is correct saying that I MUST entry the specific source
>filename within the control panel before using a BDE alias to an ODBC
>driver?

You do. But you could edit directly the ODBC INI files/the registry so
that you don't need to use the control panel app everytime you need to
change the table.

>If not, where I fails?
>(sorry for my bumpy english :)
>Ciao.
>Giovanni B., Stefanoni

Regards,

Jani J?rvinen
Helsinki Finland

1. Installing ODBC drivers, & setting up BDE aliases

Does anyone have any advice on how to set up ODBC drivers from
a program?  I would like to install the ODBC FoxPro driver,
and set up the BDE and alias to this driver, from my installer,
and am curious if anyone else has done this and has advice
or instruction for me.  If it matters, the platform I'm installing
to is NT workstation.  TNX in advance...
                                                Jim

2. Oracle Database Administrator (Job #4965)

3. Help needed with MS ODBC - Text driver and BDE

4. Conversion from Access97 to Visual FoxPro

5. Problem with the BDE and Client Access ODBC driver

6. 22854-IN-Indianapolis-MS ACCESS-Visual Basic-ORACLE-Developer / Access. V.B.

7. BDE-New ODBC Driver Problem

8. Right Join / Hash Joins / Nested Joins

9. telling the difference between BDE drivers and ODBC drivers

10. BDE alias really needed??

11. BDE Alias's and new installs of the BDE

12. bde alias problem with application