Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Post by Elliot Johnso » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 23:26:48

Greetings to all Newsgroup readers,

I've just picked up the Visual Basic 6 Working Model with much ambition to
eventually write a program which requests a user for a poduct code via a
dialogue box, then searches a database (.csv file, excel worksheet, Access
database etc?)
for the product and returns that product's cost, description etc.

I suppose I am new to programming, but have extensive experience with VBA
for Microsoft Excel and have been developing PROGRESS 4GL programs for three
years.

I imagine that what I'm trying to do is relatively common and so am hoping
that there might be some examples I can learn from on the net, which some
kind person could direct me too?

Additionally, I'd also very much appreciate any links to the best VB
resource sites for examples/samples and guides for newbies.

Hope I'm not being too cheeky!

Much thanks in advance.

Elliot

Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Post by Srinivas Chund » Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:23:27

There are several sites.
I usually visit http://www.planet-source-code.com/. It has several examples
for programmers of all
levels of skill.
Good luck!!
-- Manohar

Quote:> Greetings to all Newsgroup readers,

> I've just picked up the Visual Basic 6 Working Model with much ambition to
> eventually write a program which requests a user for a poduct code via a
> dialogue box, then searches a database (.csv file, excel worksheet, Access
> database etc?)
> for the product and returns that product's cost, description etc.

> I suppose I am new to programming, but have extensive experience with VBA
> for Microsoft Excel and have been developing PROGRESS 4GL programs for
three
> years.

> I imagine that what I'm trying to do is relatively common and so am hoping
> that there might be some examples I can learn from on the net, which some
> kind person could direct me too?

> Additionally, I'd also very much appreciate any links to the best VB
> resource sites for examples/samples and guides for newbies.

> Hope I'm not being too cheeky!

> Much thanks in advance.

> Elliot

Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Post by Tim For » Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:39:57

Check out www.planetsourcecode.com,

pretty good for examples and code. Covers SQL, ASP, VB, VBScript, ASP and
lots of other things

Tim

Quote:> Greetings to all Newsgroup readers,

> I've just picked up the Visual Basic 6 Working Model with much ambition to
> eventually write a program which requests a user for a poduct code via a
> dialogue box, then searches a database (.csv file, excel worksheet, Access
> database etc?)
> for the product and returns that product's cost, description etc.

> I suppose I am new to programming, but have extensive experience with VBA
> for Microsoft Excel and have been developing PROGRESS 4GL programs for
three
> years.

> I imagine that what I'm trying to do is relatively common and so am hoping
> that there might be some examples I can learn from on the net, which some
> kind person could direct me too?

> Additionally, I'd also very much appreciate any links to the best VB
> resource sites for examples/samples and guides for newbies.

> Hope I'm not being too cheeky!

> Much thanks in advance.

> Elliot

Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Post by Dave Keigha » Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:46:40

Here's a few of the ones I hit the most. There's a lot of them out there.

Carl & Gary's Visual Basic Home Page
http://www.cgvb.com/

Karl E. Peterson's One-Stop Source Shop
http://www.mvps.org/vb/

DevX Source Code Library
http://www.devx.com/free/codelib/

VB2 The Max
http://www.vb2themax.com/default.asp?PageID=Welcome

Programmingtutorials.com - Visual Basic Tutorials
http://www.programmingtutorials.com/tutorial.asp?id=vb

FreeVBCode
http://freevbcode.com/

Welcome to VB
 --
Dave

Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Post by Dave Keigha » Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:54:09

Elliot

I should also add an excellent source for help is the news groups (which you
know/are finding out) add news.devx.com to your list - excellent place to
get help!

VB-Zone at DevX is also a popular place:
http://www.vb-zone.com/default1.asp?Area=Visual+Basic
you can access their newsgroups here as well.

--
Dave

Newbie Guidance Kindly Requested (simple database connection)

Post by Bill Warre » Sun, 30 Sep 2001 04:09:31

You'll find a lot of (logic) similarities between Progress and VB - I've
been working with Progress since 7.3....  I don't know any article numbers,
but you can search the KB for howto articles on ADO - that should get you
some pretty good, and simple snippets.

--
Bill Warren
DBA/Programmer

Quote:> Greetings to all Newsgroup readers,

> I've just picked up the Visual Basic 6 Working Model with much ambition to
> eventually write a program which requests a user for a poduct code via a
> dialogue box, then searches a database (.csv file, excel worksheet, Access
> database etc?)
> for the product and returns that product's cost, description etc.

> I suppose I am new to programming, but have extensive experience with VBA
> for Microsoft Excel and have been developing PROGRESS 4GL programs for
three
> years.

> I imagine that what I'm trying to do is relatively common and so am hoping
> that there might be some examples I can learn from on the net, which some
> kind person could direct me too?

> Additionally, I'd also very much appreciate any links to the best VB
> resource sites for examples/samples and guides for newbies.

> Hope I'm not being too cheeky!

> Much thanks in advance.

> Elliot

1. Complete newbie -- requests guidance

I am trying to start out with VB and ADO/DAO programming.  Does anyone have
simple paste and run examples that highlight key concepts and best
practices, if so I would be much obliged.  I also would appreciate guidance
to good online information for beginners in this area.

I have access to Sybase 11-12, Oracle 7-8.1.5, MS SQL Server 6.5 and 7, and
UDB 7 to program against, so just about anyone's example I can use.

TIA,
George Saylor

ps- I am ok with SQL, my question is mostly about database programming.

2. adding db2inst1

3. Kindly requesting Book Recommendation

4. Information on V$SYSSTAT

5. Request guidance

6. case insensitive unique index

7. Guidance request = Tree

8. Resources for Info on Objects Option

9. DTS design guidance requested

10. Request guidance for receiving data to SQL

11. newbie : simple connection to an SQL sever7 Dbase using jdbc

12. simple newbie question - writing a connection string

13. Request for advice - simple databases