Update using Execute running out of Buffer space???

Update using Execute running out of Buffer space???

Post by Joanne Jame » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi.  I am executing an 'database object.execute.SQLUpdateString' line.  I
am trying to update about 14 fields, most of which are not filled in.  The
update works fine until a certain 'amount' of data level is reached.  It
seems that if I exceed a certain number of characters that are to be
updated, VB5 bombs out, giving a page exception and overwriting a part of
the  operating system (kernel.dll).  It looks like a buffer area somewhere
might not be large enough to hold the data that's being processed by the
update.  I've tried looking around for where I might be able to tweak this
or that, but found nothing.  Any suggestions?  Until I get this resolved,
the user of this app. can only enter so much data and no more, for the
update to work successfully.  Thanks for any help!!

Update using Execute running out of Buffer space???

Post by David Ferrei » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> Hi.  I am executing an 'database object.execute.SQLUpdateString' line.  I
> am trying to update about 14 fields, most of which are not filled in.  The
> update works fine until a certain 'amount' of data level is reached.  It
> seems that if I exceed a certain number of characters that are to be
> updated, VB5 bombs out, giving a page exception and overwriting a part of
> the  operating system (kernel.dll).  It looks like a buffer area somewhere
> might not be large enough to hold the data that's being processed by the
> update.  I've tried looking around for where I might be able to tweak this
> or that, but found nothing.  Any suggestions?  Until I get this resolved,
> the user of this app. can only enter so much data and no more, for the
> update to work successfully.  Thanks for any help!!

Jet 3.5 has a MaxBufferSize setting.  The Jet DB Programming Guide says
that on machines with more than 32mg RAM changing the buffer size (to as
much as 8 mg) could boost performance.  Even so, it would seem to me that
even at the lowest setting -- 512k -- this should be plenty of room for
the stuff you send.

Update using Execute running out of Buffer space???

Post by Joanne Jame » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

I looked into this and agree - the 512K setting should be appropriate.
However, I didn't know how to determine if it had
been set lower ( I believe it can be set lower if desired).  I suppose I
can look at that... don't expect any surprises though.
I am wondering if the fact that I am linking to an external non-jet
database is affecting things adversely somehow...?

> says...
> > Hi.  I am executing an 'database object.execute.SQLUpdateString' line.
> > am trying to update about 14 fields, most of which are not filled in.
The

> Jet 3.5 has a MaxBufferSize setting.  The Jet DB Programming Guide says
> that on machines with more than 32mg RAM changing the buffer size (to as
> much as 8 mg) could boost performance.  Even so, it would seem to me that
> even at the lowest setting -- 512k -- this should be plenty of room for
> the stuff you send.

1. log buffer space vs. redo log space requests

I am a little confused as to the values I am getting from these two
statistics.

log buffer space in V$SYSTEM_EVENT shows a value for waits which leads me to
believe that the log buffer is not large enough however the redo log space
requests from V$SYSSTAT shows a value of zero.

Therefore one stat tells me there is not enough space while the other tells
me everything is ok.  I think I am misinterpreting these statistics.  Can
someone set me straight.

Oracle 8.1.6 running on solaris.

thanks,
Scott.

2. Checkpoint to Tape (for VAX/VMS)

3. Time Outs When running a query

4. US - TX - Houston - Senior Programmer

5. Update SQL On Buffer Mode Override = Optimistic Table Buffering

6. IIf Function in Sybase System 10 SQL?

7. Oracle Free Space or Space used - DBA (now index space usage)

8. Progress 386/286 Disks

9. Table Buffering Problem (using level 5 buffering)

10. doing an sql update using Connection.Execute causes IIS to hang

11. How go query Database Free Space or Used Space via T-SQL

12. Calculating used space and free space in a file

13. Free space and used space.