VB4 RDO Performance: SQL Server 6.0 vs 6.5

VB4 RDO Performance: SQL Server 6.0 vs 6.5

Post by Keith Philli » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone noticed any difference in performance of RDO apps when
switched from SQL Server 6.0 to 6.5?  I ran an app on a 6.5 server,
and the performance was about half what it was on a 6.0 server.

Keith Phillips
Contract VB / SQL Server Developer
Madison, Georgia

VB4 RDO Performance: SQL Server 6.0 vs 6.5

Post by Mr. Dave S. Bhat » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

You may want to try ODBC code to access SQL SRVR 6.5 instead

Dave Bhatty

1. VB4, SQL Server 6.5, RDO and ODBC

I have a rather large VB4 application that accesses an Access database
using the Jet Engine. I now want to change the application to also access
an SQL Server database.

If I read the documents etc. I have available it seems to suggest that I
should use the RDO object in combination with the ODBC API to do this.

Is it best that I access the Access database in this manner also? ie. is it
faster ( alot or a little) than the Jet Engine for both types of database ?

Alternatively if I continue to use the Jet Engine, do I need to use the
ODBC API as well?

And, do I really need to use the ODBC API if I use the RDO object?

To change the application to using the RDO object will involve a LOT of
work but it is worth doing if it will speed up things considerably.

Hopefully there is someone out there that can help here!

Regards..........Deb Lethbridge

2. xa_start TMJOIN supported ?

3. Has anyone used VB4 Enterprise Edition RDO with SQL Server 6.5

4. odd SqlAgent behavior.

5. HELP: VB4 rdo & SQL Server 6.0

6. Design Strategy Question

7. VB4 RDO Won't detect an error in an SQL Server 6.0 stored procedure

8. SQL 7 Memory Usages Beyond Max, Memory Setting:

9. MS SQL SERVER 6.0 VS 6.5 QUESTION

10. SQL Server 6.0 vs 6.5

11. SQL 6.5 Performance vs SQL 7.0 Performance

12. SQL Server 6.5 - Client Upgrade from SQL 6.0 to 6.5