Delphi is slow!

Post by Derek A. Benne » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> So, if any of you have any suggestion on improving the speed of the
> TreeView
> please let me know!

Well, first thing I would do is check to see if I'm efficiently
allocating new nodes/child nodes.  If I remember correctly, Delphi
defaults to allocating enough room for one node and must allocate more
memory for each node added.  There are published articles/code samples
to eliminate this AND, from what I remember reading, it VASTLY improves
tree construction times!

> Thank you!

> P.S.: So far I'm not very impressed by Delphi... prefer VC++ and VB!

Then go back to VB!

Delphi is slow!

Post by Kári Poulse » Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:00:00

 > Well, first thing I would do is check to see if I'm efficiently
 > allocating new nodes/child nodes.  If I remember correctly, Delphi
 > defaults to allocating enough room for one node and must allocate more
 > memory for each node added.  There are published articles/code samples
 > to eliminate this AND, from what I remember reading, it VASTLY improves
 > tree construction times!

Could you please say where to find these articles and samples..

regards
 kri Poulsen
 Faroese Broadcasting

Delphi is slow!

Post by Matt (ISD, In » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>|> P.S.: So far I'm not very impressed by Delphi... prefer VC++ and VB!
>|
>|Then go back to VB!
>Nah... don't tell him that.  His statement, I believe, was just written out of
>frustration.  Give him a little time to see just what he can do with Delphi
>and what Delphi can do for him, and he will change his tune.  :-)

Must agree wholeheartedly.  Delphi has one of the best optimizers
around.

Delphi is slow!

Post by Derek A. Benne » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> |> P.S.: So far I'm not very impressed by Delphi... prefer VC++ and VB!
> |
> |Then go back to VB!

> Nah... don't tell him that.  His statement, I believe, was just written out of
> frustration.  Give him a little time to see just what he can do with Delphi
> and what Delphi can do for him, and he will change his tune.  :-)

> -----
> Kerry Sanders

Well, yes, you are right.  The knee-jerk response was more of a case of
rough day at work (Have you ever REALLY tried to make QuickReports do a
complex master/detail report?), increasing frustration at the DELUGE of
Optima++ posts in the Delphi newsgroups by the *three* Optima++ true
believers actually using it on a regular basis (So, when are they going
to set up their own newsgroup--Oh, wait!  That wouldn't work as they'd
run out of things to say in about two days!), and finally hitting the
postee's crack about going back to VB (You'd think I'd've learned by now
to not let my knee control my brain!  Well, it'll make a good thing to
get control of this year! <G>).

Anyway, when I pondered what he'd posted, I came to the same conclusion.
Just didn't get back to respond right away.

Derek

Delphi is slow!

Post by Jason Perr » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> |> P.S.: So far I'm not very impressed by Delphi... prefer VC++ and VB!
> |
> |Then go back to VB!

> Nah... don't tell him that.  His statement, I believe, was just written out of
> frustration.  Give him a little time to see just what he can do with Delphi
> and what Delphi can do for him, and he will change his tune.  :-)

> -----
> Kerry Sanders
> http://www.mindspring.com/~ksanders/

What's a VB?  New disease?
Wedge.

Delphi is slow!

Post by Danny Clark » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

One word answer is "bollocks".

But in truth I have what foe me is real comparison for standalone app.

I took a market leading product (written in VB).
Wrote the same thing in Delphi -with more functions & improvements,

Run both on my system (220Mhz Win'95) and the Delphi version leaves the VB
standing.

VB has:
Slow compute times.
Slow screen re-fresh.
Slow graphics.

Yuk!  I'll never touch VB or VBX's if there is a native Delphi alternative.

Cherrs!

> > On Tue, 31 Dec 1996 23:29:17 -0800, "Derek A. Benner"

> > |Then go back to VB!

> > Nah... don't tell him that.  His statement, I believe, was just written
out of
> > frustration.  Give him a little time to see just what he can do with
Delphi
> > and what Delphi can do for him, and he will change his tune.  :-)

> > -----
> > Kerry Sanders
> > http://www.mindspring.com/~ksanders/

> What's a VB?  New disease?
> Wedge.

Delphi is slow!

Post by Ruvan Fernand » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I don't mean to be rude, but don't you guys think that your
discussion belong in some other news group?

Ruvan

> One word answer is "bollocks".

> But in truth I have what foe me is real comparison for standalone app.

> I took a market leading product (written in VB).
> Wrote the same thing in Delphi -with more functions & improvements,

> Run both on my system (220Mhz Win'95) and the Delphi version leaves the
VB
> standing.

> VB has:
> Slow compute times.
> Slow screen re-fresh.
> Slow graphics.

> Yuk!  I'll never touch VB or VBX's if there is a native Delphi
alternative.

> Cherrs!

> > > On Tue, 31 Dec 1996 23:29:17 -0800, "Derek A. Benner"

VB!

> > > Nah... don't tell him that.  His statement, I believe, was just
written
> out of
> > > frustration.  Give him a little time to see just what he can do with
> Delphi
> > > and what Delphi can do for him, and he will change his tune.  :-)

> > > -----
> > > Kerry Sanders
> > > http://www.mindspring.com/~ksanders/

> > What's a VB?  New disease?
> > Wedge.

Delphi is slow!

Post by Erik Grunsche » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http:///nsmailS0.TMP

The following error was encountered:

   * DNS name lookup failure

This means that:

    The named host probably does not exist.

1. Delphi 2 slower than Delphi 1 !?

Hello,

On my PC I have installed Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 (both C/S). I have
created a master/detail form and I compiled it with both Delphi 1 and 2.
I use MS SQL server as Database BackEnd. If I know browse through the
16-bit DBGrid it reacts a lot faster then the 32-bit equivalent.

What could be the problem? I don't think it is Delphi itself, but I
suspect the BDE or SQL Links. Both program use their own BDE version and
all settings are the same. The backend and the data is the same.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Does anyone know more about
this problem?

Please mail me,

Bert Hardeman

2. CASE package for the PC

3. Delphi 2.01 slow compared to Delphi 1.0???

4. Horizontal Portals

5. Why am I so Slow

6. speed of query - help

7. Delphi...Delphi....Delphi - New Delphi Site

8. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

9. Slow, slow, slow DDEs

10. Slow slow slow from an ASP

11. PDOXWIN5 Slow (slower than slow)

12. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using