DAO 3.6 can't read Access2000's mdb

Post by Dave Li » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I try to create a database file with Access2000 but I can't read it with VB6
(DAO3.6 Library installed). Why ? Pls help?

Thanks
Johnny

DAO 3.6 can't read Access2000's mdb

Post by Ken Case » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have the same problem. I am running Win98, VB6 SP3 - upgrade from VB5 SP3,
Office Premium 2000 - upgrade from Office 97 Pro SR1.

Before I made a test project in VB, I ran the mdac_typ.exe to get the latest
jet files. And I after I made my test project, I ran into the same problem
you have. I went to MSDN on-line and searched for Unrecognized Database
Format. It gave me a page of info that seems like a work-around to a known
bug with VB6 and Access 2000. The title is "Intrinsic Data Control Is Usable
with Access 2000 Databases (Joke). They give you the standard code to put on
the open form event which establishes a database connection and a recordset.
I followed the instructions and can access my database OK, but I have many,
many third party data aware controls that rely on a data aware datacontrol.

I am researching this further. If I come up with anything I will let you
know.

Larry Houston
Viking Software Group

DAO 3.6 can't read Access2000's mdb

Post by Alice » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Because Access 2000 uses ADO not DAO any more...... it's their Y2K upgrade

> I try to create a database file with Access2000 but I can't read it with VB6
> (DAO3.6 Library installed). Why ? Pls help?

> Thanks
> Johnny

DAO 3.6 can't read Access2000's mdb

Post by Manish Gupt » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hunh?  Where did you get that?  DAO 3.6 is precisely what you use to access
Access 2000 databases.  ADO is an alternative and, in my opinion (flawed as
it may be), not a terribly good one at this point...

Manish

> Because Access 2000 uses ADO not DAO any more...... it's their Y2K upgrade

> > I try to create a database file with Access2000 but I can't read it with
VB6
> > (DAO3.6 Library installed). Why ? Pls help?

> > Thanks
> > Johnny

DAO 3.6 can't read Access2000's mdb

Post by Mike Bancrof » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You can access the Access 2000 database with DAO3.6  you just can't drop a data
control on a form and get it to work.

> Because Access 2000 uses ADO not DAO any more...... it's their Y2K upgrade

> > I try to create a database file with Access2000 but I can't read it with VB6
> > (DAO3.6 Library installed). Why ? Pls help?

> > Thanks
> > Johnny

DAO 3.6 can't read Access2000's mdb

Post by Mark Lewi » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> You can access the Access 2000 database with DAO3.6  you just can't drop a
data
> control on a form and get it to work.

Actually, yes you can use a data control with Access 2000. You just have to
hard code everything (drop down properties related to the database don't
work).

The following is an excerpt from an MS web page. I found I had to tweak it a
little, primarily to accommodate passwords.

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim daoDB36 As Database
Dim rs As Recordset
Dim sPath As String

sPath = _
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.mdb"
Set daoDB36 = DBEngine.OpenDatabase(sPath)
Set rs = daoDB36.OpenRecordset("Customers")
Set Data1.Recordset = rs
End Sub

--
Mark Lewis
Corporate Consultants

1. dao 3.6 can't refresh dao datacontrol

hi,

i've just installed VB SP3, so now i can open my newly converted
access97-access2000 database.but now it wont let me refresh a data control
at runtime. here is the code. qdfName is a string which is a stored query in
access

frmSearchResults.datSearchResults.RecordSource = qdfName
frmSearchResults.datSearchResults.Refresh

it comes up with same message. "Unrecognized database format"

microsoft DAO 3.6 object library is referenced in the project.

i'm stumped. i was nearing completion of my project before i upgraded to
vb6.acces 2000 now i don't know whats going on

thanks in advance

Chris
Tweed Heads
Australia

2. Informix learning tools

3. DAO 3.6 data control on '98

4. Joining Problem - a 1 to many rel., but I only want 1 record back

5. Can't retrieve text data from Sybase using DAO 3.6

6. Extract records to a new DBF Table

7. I can't distributed vb6 whith DAO 3.6

8. Access2000 vs Dao 3.6

9. Access 97 MDB with DAO 3.6?

10. Dao 3.6 Problem Versus Dao 3.51

11. upgrade from DAO 3.51 to DAO 3.6??

12. Error 3146 with DAO 3.6 (ok with DAO 3.5)