Register TLB and MSDAOPath???

Post by Jack » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I use VB-5 SP3.

I use a third-party installer (INF-Tool) to generate my installation package
and I use VB Setup Wizard to generate the setup.lst file to know which DLL
is needed and which one must be registered.

Question #1:

In the setup.lst I found 2 .tlb files (STDOLE2.TLB and DAO2535.TLB) with the
$(TLBRegister) key from setup wiz.  It seems to be some kind of registration
to do but how can I do it?  And I must be able to do it by code from my app
because INF-Tool has no option to register this kind of files.  Any idea?

Question #2:

My app needs DAO2535.TLB and DAO350.DLL to run and in the setup.lst these
files must be in the $(MSDAOPath) directory, which is C:\PROGRAM
FILES\COMMONS FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\DAO\... on an English Windows but it is
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FICHIERS COMMUNS\MICROSOFT SHARED\DAO\... on a French
Windows and so on for other languages.  And INF-Tool has no way to determine
this directory.  So I decided to install these 2 files in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM
directory and register them a this place, even if they exist or not in the
"MSDAOPath".  Am I going into trouble or conflict by doing that?  I did some
test on my PC and all works fine, these 2 files are at the 2 places and
registered at each place, but they are of the same version.  What will
happening on a user PC if one of these files didn't have the same version?

My package MUST be released Monday, so every fast answer will be very
appreciated!

Thanks!

Jack

Register TLB and MSDAOPath???

Post by John McCulloug » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

DAO is supposed to live in \PROGRAM FILES\COMMONS FILES\MICROSOFT
SHARED\DAO. You can put it anywhere you want as long as you register it from
that location. You will be opening yourself up to having multiple, versions
on the same machine, however.

The preferred location for shared components is stored in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools

This has the correct location independant of disk or language

JM

Register TLB and MSDAOPath???

Post by John McCulloug » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

DAO is supposed to live in \PROGRAM FILES\COMMONS FILES\MICROSOFT
SHARED\DAO. You can put it anywhere you want as long as you register it from
that location. You will be opening yourself up to having multiple, versions
on the same machine, however.

The preferred location for shared components is stored in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools

This has the correct location independent of disk or language

JM

1. Error while registering MSADO20.TLB

I have created a package through VB and create  its setup through Package
and deployment
while deployment on another machine it gives error "While registering a file
error occur c:\windows\system\msado20.tlb".

How can I get rid off at the time of installation or what wrong I am doing ?

2. Preview the MS-SQL server 7 cube's space

3. Error occuring when registering msado20.tlb file.

4. Sharing MDB file

5. msado21.tlb doesn't register

6. Multiple Connection failure -exceeding licenses

7. Error while registering MSAD)25.TLB

8. web-based contact management in ASP/SQL?

9. msado25.tlb register fails in setup program

10. Registering TLB and Windows files

11. Install of VB app using ADO fails - can't register msado21.tlb

12. Help! msado21.tlb failed to register

13. Error registering msado21.tlb during install