VB5 and Sybase System 11 (ODBC)

Post by Peter Conra » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I could use some expert advice.  I am a beginner with VB.

I have a Sybase database on a Unix machine, and I want to make
modifications to the database using Visual Basic.  Most of my tables
have about 50,000 records.

I have VB5, Enterprise edition.  It seems like I have 2 options:
1.  DAO/Data Control (Jet)
2.  RDO/RDC (bypass Jet)

Am I on the right track or way off base with this game plan?  Please
post to the newsgroup.  Thanks a lot.

VB5 and Sybase System 11 (ODBC)

Post by Lea Johnso » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have been using VB5 and Now VB6 to provide a front end to a Sybase System 11 database for over a year now. I was using RDO with the Sybase System 11 ODBC driver.

You can use DAO, but it means you will have to create an Access Database with the Tables you need from Sybase linked to it.

OR

RDO which I found to be quite easy.

OR

ADO, which I haven't used with Sybase. If you wish to use ADO, you can either use the OLEDB Provider for ODBC or you can try and find the OLEDB Provider for Sybase (if there is one).

--
Lea Johnson
IT Services Centre, ADFA

To reply via E-Mail, please remove 'nospam.' from the return E-Mail address