the need of scope

Post by Elhanan Maaya » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 05:28:56

hi..

I was wondering.. when I sent an SQL query to oracle via OLE DB it contained
a function written in oracle. VB sent a run time error saying that function
is an unrecognized column name. the same happened in delphi (same ora error
even). the solution was to place the owner name infront of the call to the
function (select [owner].[functionname)...), but i didn't need to do that in
SQL navigator, the query worked without the use of owner scope.

what's really interesting is that I've had similar problem not just with VB
but with  magic and it's connection with SQL server 7. simple query failed
when SQL server declared that the tables as unknown to it. it was solved by
prefixing the owner name to the tables. magic does not use OLE db(VB) or
ODBC(Delphi) but it's own gateway.

what's the commonality here?

the need of scope

Post by Mark Kirb » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:32:57

I would ask if the user your connection to with vb or delphi is the same one
you login with SQL Navigator?

Does SQL Navigator have a server side install?

The behavior of the Oracle call you described is exactly what happens if you
tried to use a package/function from a schema that wasn't the default or
yours.

Since I have no idea/interest in "magic", I don't have much to say regarding
that.  I would guess that the issues the same.  You have your default stuff,
stuff you own and stuff others owner.  If you want to talk to others stuff
then you need to use fully qualified name and have sufficient privileges.

    Regards

Quote:> hi..

> I was wondering.. when I sent an SQL query to oracle via OLE DB it
contained
> a function written in oracle. VB sent a run time error saying that
function
> is an unrecognized column name. the same happened in delphi (same ora
error
> even). the solution was to place the owner name infront of the call to the
> function (select [owner].[functionname)...), but i didn't need to do that
in
> SQL navigator, the query worked without the use of owner scope.

> what's really interesting is that I've had similar problem not just with
VB
> but with  magic and it's connection with SQL server 7. simple query failed
> when SQL server declared that the tables as unknown to it. it was solved
by
> prefixing the owner name to the tables. magic does not use OLE db(VB) or
> ODBC(Delphi) but it's own gateway.

> what's the commonality here?

1. #Temp tables scope....Need practical suggestions, not bookish

Hi,
According to BOL, a #Temp table is removed, when the connection is closed to
SQL Server. But I m experiencing an opposite behaviour.
From my Qey Analyzer, I m executing a SP, which creates a #Temp table. So
when I execute another SP, that #Temp table is not visible, it gives the
error Invalid object name '#Temp' table name.
Is there anybody who could just explain the real situation ??????

Regards:

Joga Singh

2. Updating variables using a With statement.

3. How to SET options for a scope before executing in that scope?

4. 11i apps training

5. Session-scope variables

6. Building dynaset depending on boolean field

7. Parameter Scope Question

8. Paradox 9 Distribution Expert not recognizing last disk

9. Scope and automated querying

10. Boolean Full-Text searches and Field Scope

11. DB scope with system SPs and INFORMATION_SCHEMA views

12. Table Variable Scope

13. Scope of Deleted table in Trigger