A couple (ok, well maybe a little more than a couple) of (beginner) questions

A couple (ok, well maybe a little more than a couple) of (beginner) questions

Post by DeLong Famil » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello, I have a few (maybe more) questions....

Internet:

1. I would like to be able to send/receive mail with a program I am
building. I know of and have the Catalyst controls, but the files about them
and how to use the controls are like binary 1s and 0s to a beginner. I need
some explanation and how to's in ENGLISH!! LOL.

2. I am also building a chat program. Again, I have the catalyst thing but
have no clue how to use it. Please help!! Anyone!!

3. I am also building a program to ping a server or IP so I can find out how
fast it is etc...Do I need to use the catalyst thing or something else? And
how do I use it?

4. I am trying to make a port protector/port scanner. I was wondering how I
make the port scanner...I mean....All this internet stuff has got me
confused. I have no clue what to do!!

General:

1. I made my own browser by cheating. I took the MSIE control and installed
it to a program. I then followed some instructions on a web site to build
the browser. In my opinion it really was a crappy thing. The reason was I
didn't know how to: Put a picture on command buttons. Like MSIE and
Netscape, the Back, Forward, etc. buttons have little pictures on it. How do
I do that? And...The way I built the browser was to take the MSIE control
and stick it into my form (browser.frm) file. When I did that, it basically
puts a screen inside a screen. The inner screen was the browser of course,
and the outside was the form. When I maximized the form, it didn't maximize
(or expand) as MSIE and Netscape do...How do I fix this?

I know I might have made a big pain and all...and I'm sorry, but I am a big
time beginner...and as you once were, you probably had the same questions,
and went through alot of stress trying to find the answers as I am. I wish
for your patience, cooperation, and support!

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. If anyone knows how to configure cgi scripts, and would willingly help

Thanks again...

1. Couple a little questions

I'm an experienced programmer with a few little
questions I was hoping some of you may answer.

How can I get ANY key from the registry ("GetSetting"
allows me access only to my own little area of the
registry)?

How can I get the current logged in username (Windows
or MS Network)?

Every "Data" object seems to have its own "Database"
object. Isn't this very inefficient? How can I make
it so that all my Data objects share one Database
object even though the online help files advise
against this? Should I do this?

Is there anyway to send GroupWise mail from VB? Are
any such controls available?

FYI I'm using VB5 & 95. Please email copies of any
posted replies.

Thank you for your help.

Univ. of Manitoba Comp. Sci.        #  Just released: Drip! (PC 386+)
C C++ Pascal Delphi Perl HTML Java  #  http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/chaos

2. VB5/ACCESS Database, can I realy not index memo fields??????????????????????????

3. a couple of beginner's questions

4. Paradox Informant

5. Couple of SQL questions...

6. SHAPE query works in Jet, not in SQL Server?

7. DTS. Couple of questions

8. event calendar database design question.

9. Couple questions 70-229

10. Couple of newbie questions

11. A couple of questions...

12. A Couple Of Index Questions

13. Couple of SQL Server/Access questions...