Binding Collection Error - Field not Updatable

Binding Collection Error - Field not Updatable

Post by David C. Barbe » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:26:50

I'm using a Data Grid 6.0 SP5 (ODBDC) control to display the results of an
Access 2K query through an ADODC control.  I'm also using bound text boxes
to the ADODC control for user and programmatic updating.  My problems are
two:

1:    The Data Grid control is not displaying values for the key fields of
my Access table.  Other fields display correctly, but not the three fields
of the composite key.  Those data grid fields remain blank  I have used the
Retrieve Fields function several times on the Data Grid to ensure that I
have the correct field names there with no effect on the problem.

2:    Using a Data Combo (ODBDC) control and bound text controls result in a
"Binding Collection Error" message box popping up and saying "Field not
Updateable, Bound Property <name>, Field Name <name>" the moment I add a new
record and attempt to put values in these key fields.  The property and
field name appear correct, but will not let me place my data in these key
fields.  Two of the fields are Foreign Keys, but even when I removed the
relationships to make the table standalone, the problem remained.

Note that executing the addnew method to the recordset does add a new row to
the Data Grid, and non-key fields are inserted correctly.  But the moment
any key field is attempted to be updated, the Binding Collection Error box
pops up.

The deadline on the project is fast approaching.  I would appreciate any
assistance on what is happening here.

    *David*

Binding Collection Error - Field not Updatable

Post by David C. Barbe » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:08:33

I'm still looking for help on this issue.  Neither MSDN Library nor the MS
Knowledge base seem to have anything to say about this message box and
error.

    *David*

Quote:> I'm using a Data Grid 6.0 SP5 (ODBDC) control to display the results of an
> Access 2K query through an ADODC control.  I'm also using bound text boxes
> to the ADODC control for user and programmatic updating.  My problems are
> two:

> 1:    The Data Grid control is not displaying values for the key fields of
> my Access table.  Other fields display correctly, but not the three fields
> of the composite key.  Those data grid fields remain blank  I have used
the
> Retrieve Fields function several times on the Data Grid to ensure that I
> have the correct field names there with no effect on the problem.

> 2:    Using a Data Combo (ODBDC) control and bound text controls result in
> "Binding Collection Error" message box popping up and saying "Field not
> Updateable, Bound Property <name>, Field Name <name>" the moment I add a
new
> record and attempt to put values in these key fields.  The property and
> field name appear correct, but will not let me place my data in these key
> fields.  Two of the fields are Foreign Keys, but even when I removed the
> relationships to make the table standalone, the problem remained.

> Note that executing the addnew method to the recordset does add a new row
> the Data Grid, and non-key fields are inserted correctly.  But the moment
> any key field is attempted to be updated, the Binding Collection Error box
> pops up.

> The deadline on the project is fast approaching.  I would appreciate any
> assistance on what is happening here.

>     *David*

1. OCI: Binding collections (varray), Ora 1008: not all variables bound

Hi,
I,ve got a stored procedure, which takes a varray as parameter:

create or replace type tp_person as object
(
        pid             number,
        name            varchar2(20),
        vorname         varchar2(20),
        strasse         varchar2(20),
        ort             varchar2(20),
);
/
create or replace type va_person AS varray(100) of tp_person;
/
procedure list(person out va_person) is
begin
        select
                cast(multiset(
                        select value(tb)
                        from ov_person tb)
                        as va_person)
                into
                        person
                from
                        dual;
end;
/ (Thanks to T.Kyte)

Now I want to call this procedure from an OCI program:

static text *listStmtTxt = (text *) "BEGIN\
                                        pkg_person.list(:DATA);\
                                        END;";

OCIStmtPrepare(...)
OCIDefineByPos(...,(ub4)1,...)
OCIDescribeAny(...)
OCIAttrGet(..., (ub4) OCI_HTYPE_DESCRIBE,..., (ub4)OCI_ATTR_PARAM,...)
OCIAttrGet(..., (ub4) OCI_DTYPE_PARAM,... (ub4)OCI_ATTR_REF_TDO,...)
OCIObjectPin(...)

OCIDefineObject(...)
OCIDefineArrayOfStruct(...)

OCIStmtExecute(...) returns "Ora 1008: not all variables bound".

Who knows, what I forgot.
Does anybody have a chunk of sample code for this purpose?

TIA,
Joerg Blaese

2. SQL Server professional from Toronto is seeking a full-time/contract position

3. Field not Updateable error using bound data control

4. Executing DOS programs from dBase IV

5. Binding Collection Error

6. Implementing Bookmarks

7. Backward Conversion of Reports VFP -> FPW

8. Binding Collection Error - Help?

9. Binding Collection Error