Data Control Vs. Recordsets

Post by Tom Igiels » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

sAs a general rule, is it more efficient to Open a database and use recordset
variables to manipulate data in an Access database, or is the data control an   equally efficient means of doing this sort of thing?  I am developing a fairly  large MDI application, and would need to have multiple data controls on every   child window to do what I need to do.  It seems to me, that opening the databaseonce up front, and creating recordset variables and using them as I need them   would be a far more efficient way of handling the task at hand?  There would    be a lot less code with the data control
 however.....Comments?
:
:

Data Control Vs. Recordsets

Post by Tom Childer » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>sAs a general rule, is it more efficient to Open a database and use recordset
>variables to manipulate data in an Access database, or is the data control an       equally efficient >means of doing this sort of thing?=

  I am developing a fairly      large MDI application, and would >need to have multiple data controls on every       child window to do what I =
need to do.  It seems to >me, that opening the database once up front, and creating recordset variables and using them as I >need th=
em would be a far more efficient way of handling the task at hand?  There would be a >lot >less code with the data control

Quote:> however.....Comments?

Use the data objects rather than the data control.  They are much more efficient and worth the extra
coding.

Tom

1. DATA Control vs Recordset Object

Is Data1.Refresh same with Data1.Recordset.Requery ???

I have a query order by country as below :
Country
----------
Belgia
Canada             * assume the record pointer is here
Indonesia

It's order like this (ascending)

when adding a new record, etc country = "Denmark"
I want the record pointer is pointing to "Denmark"

How to implement it in DBGRID ?

Note : I've tried using recordset.lastmodified property, it works
           but the data haven't refresh.( I meant not in the right order)
           like this :
           Belgia
           Canada
           Indonesia
           Denmark     * the record pointer is pointing here
           ( what I want is How to make Denmark in the right position,
             below Canada )

           If you refresh the data, its pointer is move to top record.
           I've tried save the record pointer before the refresh but it
           didn't  work.

thank;'s

Steven Hui

2. How to use variables with T-SQL

3. Data Control vs Remote Data Control (for Axx95 and VB4/32 Enterprise)

4. REPOST: Using OEM on an OpenVMS database

5. Data-Bound Vs. Non-Data-Bound Controls

6. Informix Isql Protection

7. How do I include a double quotation mark in a string variable?

8. Images Controls that load picture from a recordset without Data Control

9. Data Environment vs Data Bound Controls

10. Recordset.Close, set Recordset = Nothing vs set Recordset = Nothing

11. Problems with ADODB.Recordset objects and with the ADODC data control (recordset property) [Specificially when assigning a dynamically created RS to the RS property of the ADO data control]

12. Help ! ADO data control and standard data control