Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

Post by Ben Firshma » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:38:38

I am a beginner with VB, so please do not get annoyed about my stupid
questions (if they are - I'm not sure)...

I have Access 2000 & VB6. I am creating a database program (with VB6) to
store peoples names in an Access database. From what I have found,
Access 2000 database are not compatible with VB6. It says 'format not
recognised' when trying to access the Access file. When I load the VB
samples on Access it says 'old format - design cannot be changed' or
something like that.
AAAHHH!!! Help me!!

If any kind body out there could help me with my database, that would be
great (take out 'nospam' from my address).

With great thanks;

Ben
--
                                   :-) BEN (-:

Post by deb » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:22:15

> I am a beginner with VB, so please do not get annoyed about my stupid
> questions (if they are - I'm not sure)...

> I have Access 2000 & VB6. I am creating a database program (with VB6) to
> store peoples names in an Access database. From what I have found,
> Access 2000 database are not compatible with VB6. It says 'format not
> recognised' when trying to access the Access file. When I load the VB
> samples on Access it says 'old format - design cannot be changed' or
> something like that.
> AAAHHH!!! Help me!!

> If any kind body out there could help me with my database, that would be
> great (take out 'nospam' from my address).

> With great thanks;

> Ben

hello ben,
im french so scuse my english...
your question is no stupid!!
i was a beginner in vb too few weeks ago..
and i met the same problem!
you are right vb6 and access 2000 are not compatible so you have to
convert your database ta the format 1997 of access! this version is
recognized by vb6 and you could after this execute your program....

i wish that i brought you help...

kisses...

deborah

Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

Post by jim » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:35:47

Download service pack 5 from ms site and access 2000 databases can be read
from vb 6.

hope it helps...

Jim

Quote:> I am a beginner with VB, so please do not get annoyed about my stupid
> questions (if they are - I'm not sure)...

> I have Access 2000 & VB6. I am creating a database program (with VB6) to
> store peoples names in an Access database. From what I have found,
> Access 2000 database are not compatible with VB6. It says 'format not
> recognised' when trying to access the Access file. When I load the VB
> samples on Access it says 'old format - design cannot be changed' or
> something like that.
> AAAHHH!!! Help me!!

> If any kind body out there could help me with my database, that would be
> great (take out 'nospam' from my address).

> With great thanks;

> Ben
> --
>                                    :-) BEN (-:

Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

Post by Terry Austi » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:31:05

VB 6 uses Access 97 by default. To use an Access 2000 database,
you need to install MDAC 2.6 (Access 97 is MDAC 2.5). The
best way is to install Service Pack 5, which you can get at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/

It's not a small download, but it's worth it.

You can also download the MDAC 2.6 SDK from:

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm

(You'll want the Jet 4 service pack, too).

Then, if you're going to use the Package & Deployment
Wizard to distribute your application to other computers,
go to

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q217754

and make sure it is distributing MDAC 2.6.

(I believe that SP5 does all this for you automatically.)

If you still have problems, try

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255986
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q240377

Terry Austin

Post by Joe » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:22:54

> I am a beginner with VB, so please do not get annoyed about my stupid
> questions (if they are - I'm not sure)...

> I have Access 2000 & VB6. I am creating a database program (with VB6) to
> store peoples names in an Access database. From what I have found,
> Access 2000 database are not compatible with VB6. It says 'format not
> recognised' when trying to access the Access file. When I load the VB
> samples on Access it says 'old format - design cannot be changed' or
> something like that.

VB6 Service Pack 5 should include Access 200x compatibility.  Also make
sure you have the latest version of the Jet 4.0 and DAO 3.6 DLLs.  Jet
4.0 Service Pack 5 and Visual Sabotage 6.0 Service Pack 5 are most likely
separate downloads:

 URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;Q282010

 URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/updates/sp/vs6/sp5/defaul...

(This shouldn't infect your machine with .NET, despite the alarming logo
in the upper left corner...)

You might also need to modify your existing projects to reference the
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library instead of DAO 3.x.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Got Thetans? <http://www.xenu.net/>

Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

Post by Ben Firshma » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:09:30

Thanks everyone for the help - It's working now.

Big download, it took the whole of yesterday to download!!

Thanks a load...

Ben
--
                                    :-) BEN (-:
Remove 'nospam' to reply...

Database Problems (Beginner's stupid questions)

Post by Ben Firshma » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:11:59

Quote:>Thanks everyone for the help - It's working now.

>Big download, it took the whole of yesterday to download!!

>Thanks a load...

>Ben

Ahh!! I have used the data form wizard and it comes up with an error
message saying...
Data error event hit err: No value given for one or more required
parameters.
...when I try to load the form I just made with the wizard. The form
loads fine but there is no data in the table.
AHHH!!! What does it mean! What have I done wrong??!!

Thanks a load!

Ben
--
                                   :-) BEN (-:

Post by Joe » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:18:20

> Ahh!! I have used the data form wizard and it comes up with an error
> message saying...
> Data error event hit err: No value given for one or more required
> parameters.
> ...when I try to load the form I just made with the wizard. The form
> loads fine but there is no data in the table.
> AHHH!!! What does it mean! What have I done wrong??!!

Some of those tools must have updated versions that can work with
Jet 4.0 MDBs, or perhaps their source code is included under the
samples directory?  I remember this being the case with "VisData"
way back when...

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check! <http://www.xenu.net/>

1. Database names - Prob'ly a stupid question...

Hi,

Assume I have a database called base1 on a test server. I have a more
recent version of the database on a production server (Lets call this
base2). I place a copy of base2 in the same directory as the base1, and
then swap the names of the two files (i.e base2 becomes base1 and vice-
versa).

Now, I've just done this, and everything seems to work fine - SQL
doesn't seem to have noticed that the database has changed.

It strikes me though that this just doesn't sound like it would be
reliable... Somewhere down the line something will go wrong.

Can anyone confirm that this is a silly idea, or (better) that isn't so
silly...

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. DMO ImportData and UpdateStatistics

3. (Stupid?) Question (Beginner)

4. Pick Basic Editor recommendations for Universe for NT

5. VB3/Access 2.0 Stupid Beginner Question

6. General Design Question- Advice sought.

7. Stupid Beginner Question?

8. Is this been supported by SQL Server???

9. VB3/Access 2.0 Stupid Beginner Question

10. beginner's Question: linking email to field in database

11. Beginner's question re sharing a database

12. Beginner's question on creating database

13. Stupid answers to stupid questions?