VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

Post by Mike Bissene » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi everybody,
I am going to build a data base application in visual basic. At the
moment we have VB5. But I've heard that this summer a new version (6) of
VB was released, including changes in the database engine. Now , I need
to know:
- are ADO and DAO compatible?
- do I have to rewrite code when passing from DAO(vb5) to ADO(vb6)?
- is there a wizard for upgrading from DAO to ADO
- whether I should buy VB6 and start immediately with ADO; is it worth
buying a new version of vb5?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Bissener

VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

Post by Robert Zolko » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I upgraded VB5 to VB6.  BTW you can still use DAO but ADO is much better,
easier and faster in my experience.  If you understand DAO, you will have no
problem altering your code to work with ADO.  but the benefits after you do
are very much worthwhile.

Hopefully much of your code is written to allow for easy changes to the
database code....   :)

Kind regards,

Robert Zolkos

>Hi everybody,
>I am going to build a data base application in visual basic. At the
>moment we have VB5. But I've heard that this summer a new version (6) of
>VB was released, including changes in the database engine. Now , I need
>to know:
>- are ADO and DAO compatible?
>- do I have to rewrite code when passing from DAO(vb5) to ADO(vb6)?
>- is there a wizard for upgrading from DAO to ADO
>- whether I should buy VB6 and start immediately with ADO; is it worth
>buying a new version of vb5?

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike Bissener

VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

Post by Luc Segui » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have upgraded 2 project in DAO from VB5 to VB6. When upgraded, I had
touble with the DAO object. so i decided to change it all to ADO.

I had to modified my code. I figured that I lost around two week to come to
the same functionality as i was in VB5 (for two Project). You will have to
learn the new way to declare you access to your database and new ADO object,
property etc... Still, I believe that all this was worth it.

PS: do not use DAO and ADO in the same project, because they d'ont work well
together. This come from my own experience and from a article in August '98
in MSDN.

>Hi everybody,
>I am going to build a data base application in visual basic. At the
>moment we have VB5. But I've heard that this summer a new version (6) of
>VB was released, including changes in the database engine. Now , I need
>to know:
>- are ADO and DAO compatible?
>- do I have to rewrite code when passing from DAO(vb5) to ADO(vb6)?
>- is there a wizard for upgrading from DAO to ADO
>- whether I should buy VB6 and start immediately with ADO; is it worth
>buying a new version of vb5?

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike Bissener

VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

Post by < » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

It  depends what kind of database you are using also.
I *believe* it is the case that DAO is STILL faster in accessing a Jet
database (at least I'm sure
that's what the guy said at the Mastering VB5 course I took this summer),
however for
the sake of software perpetuation, if you can take the small difference ADO
would be much
nicer to develop with.  DAO tends to be slower in accessing remote data,
something to do with
it having to call the RDO layer for those calls.  DAO is like a wrapper for
access to Jet database
functionality and RDO functionality.  So there's a bit of a performance hit
for remote data.  ( At
least this is how it was explained to me at this course. )
    And I don't believe (correct me somebody if I'm wrong) that ADO does NOT
support
calls such as the CompactDatabase method for compacting a Jet database
(which DAO does).
 So I believe that you need to use DAO for that.  And if you're developing
anything that uses a Jet database....you're
probably going to want to get at the CompactDatabase and if one exists the
RepairDatabase
methods....cuz we all know how reliable Access is once you start fillin' it
up and dumping it out.  :-))

By the way.... you can write in RDO in Visual Basic 5.0.   It is VERY
similar to ADO by the looks of it, but I'm sure
ADO must have some kind of perk over using RDO.   I have used RDO
extensively and have found that it works
great for making remote data calls such as stored procs, etc.

Mark

>Hi everybody,
>I am going to build a data base application in visual basic. At the
>moment we have VB5. But I've heard that this summer a new version (6) of
>VB was released, including changes in the database engine. Now , I need
>to know:
>- are ADO and DAO compatible?
>- do I have to rewrite code when passing from DAO(vb5) to ADO(vb6)?
>- is there a wizard for upgrading from DAO to ADO
>- whether I should buy VB6 and start immediately with ADO; is it worth
>buying a new version of vb5?

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike Bissener

1. DAO synthax in VB6 VS VB5

Dear all,

We have an importnat decisioon to take, as keeping our
huge VB5 application or moving it to VB6.

Problem we have is that our application is using
Datacontrol, and it is not compatible with Access2000, we
found a trick on a microsoft document but nonw I wonder if
it is not better to move to VB 6.
If we move does the dao synthax in vb5 is same as in vb6?
We try to minimize changes and test

Thanks for your answer

2. OCI and LOBs

3. VB4 vs. VB5 vs VB6 for database applications

4. Looking for Developers

5. ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

6. Sending e-mails

7. ADO vs DAO vs RDO

8. Access vs SQL

9. DAO 3.6 vs DAO 3.5 (VB6.0 sp3)

10. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

11. Using ADO Recordsets with MS-Access Forms (ADO vs DAO)

12. Please help - DAO, ADO, VB5 & VB6

13. Wild cards in SQL: vb6 ADO versus vb5 DAO