Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Manish Gupt » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Why do users want reports?

I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them a
cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
we are.

Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
se, with the product.  Just a preference.

Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
opinion or comparison they can offer?

Manish

Post by Scott Michel » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Why do users want reports?

>I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
>Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
>want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them
>cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
>be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

>I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
>really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
>are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

>But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
>we are.

>Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
>UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
>se, with the product.  Just a preference.

>Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
>opinion or comparison they can offer?

>Manish

I'm pretty much of the opinion that the idea of a paperless office, with
only a few exceptions, is only a myth.  People like the idea of being able
to hold a report in their hands.  They like to scrutinize the results and
scribble all over the reports as they do.  So, all you can do is learn to
live with it.

As to what reporting tool do I like.  Well, Crystal is definitely not my
favorite.  I personally think Crystal is one of the worst programs I've ever
seen.  What I can't figure out is why its so popular.  We're currently using
6.0 and I'd rather switch to something else.  I tried out a demo of Active
Reports a while back and it seemed to be nice.  Since I'm in the middle of a
large project I can't even think of switching right now.

Scott

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Denis Gorshko » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I used Crystal for the last 5 years. It is not the best tool, but it seems
to be
very popular. There is lot's of organizations using it. It has momentum.
After a while one learns how to workaround Crystal's shortcomings.

I would suggest: use Crystal for simple reports that do not require
complicated formatting. For complex reports where you do not want to be in
full control
explore other tools.

Denis Gorshkov
Mobi-Sys Software Group Inc.
Try VMake - our  VB multiproject build tool at:
www.mobi-sys.com

>Why do users want reports?

>I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
>Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
>want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them
>cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
>be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

>I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
>really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
>are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

>But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
>we are.

>Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
>UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
>se, with the product.  Just a preference.

>Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
>opinion or comparison they can offer?

>Manish

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Rodolfo Gonzale » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've been using Crystal for the last year and a half, but before that, I was
programming on Visual Fox... and all I can tell you is that I'VE EVEN TRIED
TO CREAT REPORTS ON VFP TO SIMPLIFY MY WORK. Its VERY MUCH intresting why
Microsoft hasn't put a bit of an effort to come out with a descent Reporting
tool for VB.. I love programming on VB, but definatley, I'd better stay with
VFP's Report designer....

But what to do??????????  THAT is the question... what's the point of crying
out loud all this stuff if we don't get REALLY heard....

And the worst part of it is that there's only ActiveReports and Crystal
Reports to which we can turn to... And you know what's the biggest problem
of all???? They don't com with full Access 2000 support (I mean Jet 4 / DAO
3.6).

Quote:> Why do users want reports?

Post by Shaun Taylo » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Why do users want reports?

>I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
>Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
>want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them
>cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
>be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

>I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
>really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
>are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

>But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
>we are.

>Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
>UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
>se, with the product.  Just a preference.

>Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
>opinion or comparison they can offer?

>Manish

I personally hate crystal, but I am probably in a group of 1. I find that
compared to the graphing and reporting available in Access all the VB
equivalents are really poor. As far as the customer is concerned they can
have what they they pay for! Understand what it is they require and you will
understand that they are not stupid, they always have a real need.

regards
Shaun

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Manish Gupt » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I think that in the midst of all the coding, debugging, testing, etc. of
your applications, many of you may have completely missed the --->humor<---
that was [supposed to be] apparent in my original message.

Obviously people need reports.  Geez...

In any case, now that that's cleared up, any feedback on Active Reports?

Manish

> >Why do users want reports?

> >I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
> >Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
> >want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send
them
> >cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that
just
> >be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

> >I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
> >really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
> >are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

> >But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So,
here
> >we are.

> >Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY
AND
> >UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
> >se, with the product.  Just a preference.

> >Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
> >opinion or comparison they can offer?

> >Manish

> I personally hate crystal, but I am probably in a group of 1. I find that
> compared to the graphing and reporting available in Access all the VB
> equivalents are really poor. As far as the customer is concerned they can
> have what they they pay for! Understand what it is they require and you
will
> understand that they are not stupid, they always have a real need.

> regards
> Shaun

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Mark Fawcet » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Active Reports!!

>Why do users want reports?

>I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
>Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
>want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them
>cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
>be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

>I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
>really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
>are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

>But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
>we are.

>Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
>UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
>se, with the product.  Just a preference.

>Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
>opinion or comparison they can offer?

>Manish

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Jack » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I really hate Crystal Reports. I tried using it to connect to a hierarchical
recordset created in the DataEnvironment and I found myself pulling my hair
trying to get it to work! Finally, I decided to trash Crystal Reports and
just use the Microsoft Data Report designer. I know that it lacks many
features but its simplicity is what I enjoy most about it. No more beating
around the bush trying to get it to work with other Microsoft technologies.

Quote:> Why do users want reports?

> I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
> Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
> want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them
> cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
> be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

> I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
> really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
> are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

> But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So,
here
> we are.

> Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
> UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
> se, with the product.  Just a preference.

> Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
> opinion or comparison they can offer?

> Manish

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by William R Highfie » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:04:36 -0700, "Manish Gupta"

microsoft.public.vb.database:

Quote:>Why do users want reports?

<snip>
They are funny that way.

Quote:

>Manish

        Man all the negativity with Crystal Reports.  You all must be
using Access and CR right?  I have only been using CR 6 for about 5
months and I find it's not the reporting tool that's the problem it's
that data source.  I use it with SQL Server 6.5/7.0 and have created
some weekly production analysis reports for this very report intensive
company.   All of the calculations are done by the server and only the
raw data comes back. I will admit that some features suck but I have
always have found ways of getting around them.

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Jack » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Check out the latest Maintenance Release.

Quote:> Crystal Reports frustration #483948294

Post by Manish Gupt » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Crystal Reports frustration #483948294

Support for Jet 4 / ADO 3.6?  Myth?  Reality?

Or quite simply...

Pipe dream?

Manish

Quote:> Why do users want reports?

> I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
> Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
> want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them
> cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
> be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

> I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
> really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
> are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

> But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So,
here
> we are.

> Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
> UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
> se, with the product.  Just a preference.

> Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
> opinion or comparison they can offer?

> Manish

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by AndrĂ© Poisso » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Go with Active Reports, it is great. ( I have it)

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Manish Gupt » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Jack,

I spent considerable time on their website looking for exactly that.  I am
using Crystal Reports 7.  On their website, I can find nothing that relates
to DAO 3.6 support for Crystal 7.  In fact there's no maintenance release at
all for Crystal 7 -- only a bunch of Delphi/Borland VCL's and some other
miscellaneous stuff. Do you know what the name (or link address) of the file
is?

Manish

> Check out the latest Maintenance Release.

> > Crystal Reports frustration #483948294

> > Support for Jet 4 / ADO 3.6?  Myth?  Reality?

> > Or quite simply...

> > Pipe dream?

> > Manish

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by Manish Gupt » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Jack,

Nevermind...I found 'em under the "Database drivers" section...duh!

Thanks...I'll give it a try...

Manish

> Jack,

> I spent considerable time on their website looking for exactly that.  I am
> using Crystal Reports 7.  On their website, I can find nothing that
relates
> to DAO 3.6 support for Crystal 7.  In fact there's no maintenance release
at
> all for Crystal 7 -- only a bunch of Delphi/Borland VCL's and some other
> miscellaneous stuff. Do you know what the name (or link address) of the
file
> is?

> Manish

> > Check out the latest Maintenance Release.

> > > Crystal Reports frustration #483948294

> > > Support for Jet 4 / ADO 3.6?  Myth?  Reality?

> > > Or quite simply...

> > > Pipe dream?

> > > Manish

Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Post by John Rychte » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I used CR with VB 4.0 and shortly after DataDymanic released Active Reports
I purchased it. The main 2 reasons:
    - Speed
    - VB syntax

The only thing I'm missing from CR is variety of export filter. AR Reports
support only PDF, RTF and Text formats. According to Technical Support,
Excel export filter will be available soon. AR bundle itself very nicely
with VB development environment, support ADO, RDO, DAO, Unbound mode,
subreport, multicolumn report, ASP support. You can place ActiveX controls
such as MSChart, MSGrid etc on the report. Number VB samples and printed
manual really allows you to use this product immediately after installation.
But to really appreciate what this tool can do, you will need to accustom
yourself with this Object structure, methods, events and properties,
something you have to do with every ActiveX control you use no matter if it
is DAO, DBGrid or AR.

I mentioned about 2 reasons I bought AR but there is one more reason I would
recommend this product and that is Technical Support. They are very good and
very FAST, never had to wait more then day for a working solution to my
problems. Up to now, I developed number of projects (VB5 & VB 6) with AR
reports as well as DLL modules. All works great and fast. BTW, those DLL
modules replaced all CR in one of my client program and since implementation
about 6 months ago there were no reports of any problems.

I also like to say that I'm not in any way affiliated with DataDymanic, I am
a user who purchase this product, paid over $500 CAN but in my opinion,
money well spent.

Regards
John Rychter