Addnew works but doesn't...

Post by Derek M. Smit » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have a vb4 - 16bit app that accesses an MS SQL Server via ODBC as an
attached table to an Access 2.0 database file.  When I call an addnew,
the edit mode changes to add, but when I assign my values and issue the
update command, I get an error that says "Update without Addnew or Edit".
 I have another app that is set up the same way, and the AddNew works
fine.

Any insight on why the addnew isn't working?  It typically gives a 'No
current record' error when I try to look at the values I just assigned to
the fields.  All my ODBC table permissions are ok.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Smith

Addnew works but doesn't...

Post by MAIN » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have never been able to get AddNew to work.
I have had to write ExecuteSQL statements to add records, then refresh the
RDO.

Hope this helps
Corey Lapka

> I have a vb4 - 16bit app that accesses an MS SQL Server via ODBC as an
> attached table to an Access 2.0 database file.  When I call an addnew,
> the edit mode changes to add, but when I assign my values and issue the
> update command, I get an error that says "Update without Addnew or Edit".
>  I have another app that is set up the same way, and the AddNew works
> fine.

> Any insight on why the addnew isn't working?  It typically gives a 'No
> current record' error when I try to look at the values I just assigned to
> the fields.  All my ODBC table permissions are ok.

> Thanks in advance,

> Derek Smith

Addnew works but doesn't...

Post by Timothy Sebrin » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I've encountered this same problem many times,
but I've always realized that it was my mistake, and that
I had an Update or AddNew or whatever inside a loop or if statement,
causing them not to be executed when they should be.  Other than
that, every VB4.0 16-bit Addnew i've used has worked fine.

Tim Sebring
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~tsebring