Help: need simple Java database for open source project

Help: need simple Java database for open source project

Post by Adam Ierymenk » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am searching for a simple Java database for inclusion
with an open source project I am writing in Java.

It needs to be:

- 100% Java... there is a Java interface to gdbm but that is
  not a 100% Java implementation of gdbm, just an
  interface to the binary gdbm libraries.
- Implement at least a simple key/field searchable database
  that is fast and can handle millions of records.  Something
  cool like persistent objects (I have seen a few of these)
  would be OK but not really necessary.  Something that
  implements the capabilities of the old gdbm/dbm libraries
  under Unix would be ideal.
- Small and simple... The only open-source one I found is
  Groove Java Database which looks cool but requires so
  many different support packages that it looks somewhat
  cumbersome.  I am looking for something that I can either
  pack up simply in the same .jar file as my project or that
  I can include as only one support .jar file.

It should be preferably open-source, but if not then it needs
to at least have a license that will allow me to distribute it
in binary form with my application (provided I also include
a copy of it's copyright).

I have found something called Jeevan, but it's license seems
to prohibit it's third-party distribution even for free.  Other
than it's license Jeevan would be perfect, but it doesn't look
like I can legally use it.  :(

I have, like I said, found Groovy Java Database but it looks
too large and cumbersome and requires too many support
packages.

I have found a Java implementation of dBase databases, but
it looks a bit too simple and incomplete and also has a strange
license.

I have found big things like SQL servers implemented in
Java but these are just too big for what I want.  I want
something small.

Like I said above, the ideal thing would be a simple btree-
type database in 100% Java having capabilities similar to
the old gdbm/dbm libraries available on most Unix boxes.

Can anyone help?  Does anything like this exist?

Thanks.

Help: need simple Java database for open source project

Post by Andrej Rippic » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Borland's JBuilder 3.0 comes with a small, pure Java relational
database.
best regards, Andrej.

> I am searching for a simple Java database for inclusion
> with an open source project I am writing in Java.

> It needs to be:

> - 100% Java... there is a Java interface to gdbm but that is
>   not a 100% Java implementation of gdbm, just an
>   interface to the binary gdbm libraries.
> - Implement at least a simple key/field searchable database
>   that is fast and can handle millions of records.  Something
>   cool like persistent objects (I have seen a few of these)
>   would be OK but not really necessary.  Something that
>   implements the capabilities of the old gdbm/dbm libraries
>   under Unix would be ideal.
> - Small and simple... The only open-source one I found is
>   Groove Java Database which looks cool but requires so
>   many different support packages that it looks somewhat
>   cumbersome.  I am looking for something that I can either
>   pack up simply in the same .jar file as my project or that
>   I can include as only one support .jar file.

> It should be preferably open-source, but if not then it needs
> to at least have a license that will allow me to distribute it
> in binary form with my application (provided I also include
> a copy of it's copyright).

> I have found something called Jeevan, but it's license seems
> to prohibit it's third-party distribution even for free.  Other
> than it's license Jeevan would be perfect, but it doesn't look
> like I can legally use it.  :(

> I have, like I said, found Groovy Java Database but it looks
> too large and cumbersome and requires too many support
> packages.

> I have found a Java implementation of dBase databases, but
> it looks a bit too simple and incomplete and also has a strange
> license.

> I have found big things like SQL servers implemented in
> Java but these are just too big for what I want.  I want
> something small.

> Like I said above, the ideal thing would be a simple btree-
> type database in 100% Java having capabilities similar to
> the old gdbm/dbm libraries available on most Unix boxes.

> Can anyone help?  Does anything like this exist?

> Thanks.

Help: need simple Java database for open source project

Post by Luc Saint-Eli » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Adam,

You may want to have a look at hsql

See the JDBC section at http://www.interpasnet.com/JSS

Quote:>I am searching for a simple Java database for inclusion
>with an open source project I am writing in Java.

>It needs to be:
>[...]
>It should be preferably open-source, but if not then it needs
>to at least have a license that will allow me to distribute it
>in binary form with my application (provided I also include
>a copy of it's copyright).

| Luc Saint-Elie                                 |                                  |

|  Java Server Side  Open Source technologies    |
|       http://www.interpasnet.com/JSS           |

1. Needed Java programmers for open source project

Hi,

I am starting an open-source project called 'DB Watch' which monitors
enterprise databases and it's performance. I have over 6 years of
experience in managing enterprise databases. I did a market research
of all the currently available tools and found out :

1) The commercial tools from vendors like BMC, Quest are very
expensive.

2) There are no open source / free tools for databases. I could lot of
tools for UNIX , network monitoring etc but i could not find a tool
for databases which work across databases.

3) There is a lot of demand from database professionals for an open
source DB monitoring tool.

I looking for Developers to join me in this project. The project is
going to be developed in JAVA.

Thanks
Preet

PROJECT SUMMARY
DB Watch is an open-source cross-platform solution to manage
e-business availability. DB Watch allows you to keep a watchful eye on
your database environment, enabling you to monitor and maintain system
availability, reliability, and performance.

A poorly designed or poorly performing application can have a
significant operational and financial impact, such as poor customer
service, a reduction in brand equity or significant lost revenue.

DBWatch consists of two modules - DBWatch Alerts (DBALERTS) and
DBWatch Performance Monitor (PERFMON)

DB Watch works with popular databases like Oracle,SQL Server, DB2,
MySQL etc on Linux,Solaris and Windows.

DB Watch is designed for use by DBAs, application developers, and
system programmers, in both application development and production
environments.

2. MDAC 2.5 - ACCESS 2000 problems...

3. Java, O-R mapping, open source projects

4. Problem with 2000 year in vb sql query

5. Interesting open source projects (Java, JDBC)

6. SQL 2000/SP2

7. Java O-R mapping tools, object persistence, open source projects

8. ANN: New website - MYFILEFORMATS.COM !!!

9. Java, O-R mapping, open source projects

10. consultants need for open source olap project for school system

11. HELP WANTED: Open Source Consultant Programmer wanted for quick project

12. Smyle - a highly reliable open source database written in Java

13. Jacob: open source Java (TM) database and IDE