Q: Interbase Performance

Post by Charles L » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

One of our clients' systems is currently a set of Foxpro databases and
we've been using Apollo along with Delphi.  The system is getting large
though and we're going to be moving it to client/server soon.  My
question is this, how's Interbase's performance compared with other
servers?  Since it's Borland's own server, is its connection with Delphi
smoother, and faster, than with other servers?

Thanks for any info.

Q: Interbase Performance

Post by Bryan Kelle » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> One of our clients' systems is currently a set of Foxpro databases and
> we've been using Apollo along with Delphi.  The system is getting large
> though and we're going to be moving it to client/server soon.  My
> question is this, how's Interbase's performance compared with other
> servers?  Since it's Borland's own server, is its connection with Delphi
> smoother, and faster, than with other servers?

> Thanks for any info.

One of the biggest advantages to using Interbase in your situation is
that Interbase Server needs minimal administration. It would make the
transition from local (no administration) to client/server (sometimes
requires a full-time staff) a lot smoother. Also, Interbase client
connectivity is built into the BDE, so you don't need to install
separate client utilities to connect to the DB server. Finally,
Interbase Server is a no-brainer to install and is very
resource-friendly.

If you need to support databases in the terabyte range with thousands of
concurrent users over a WAN, I'd go with Oracle or Informix. Interbase
is more of a "workgroup" server.

My company is doing the same thing - leaving FoxPro and going C/S for
all of our products. For our clients who don't have a DB server, we're
going to re-sell them Interbase. (That is, if Borland will return our
calls!) We'll use Local Interbase for single-user desktop systems.

-Bryan

1. Help -- Interbase Performance moving from paradox --> Interbase

I have an application written that maintains a binary tree structure in a
paradox table. Each node in the tree has a nodeID, leftNode, RightNode and
Parent node.

I use a couple of recursive functions to navigate the tree. The functions
make use of the TTable's findKey method to move up and down the branches of
the tree.

I am starting to capture a lot of data in the database. I have constructed
the same table structure in Interbase and set up the functions to run on
the Interbase database. I imported the paradox data to the Interbase
database.

An identical call to the same routien on the same data takes approx 2
seconds to execute under the paradox table but 16 seconds to execute under
Interbase..

I am new to Interbase... Can anyone give me any pointers??

Thanks
Guy Vandenberg

please e-mail response (remove * from e-mail address)

2. development experiences with Foxpro 2.0 multiuser applications

3. INTERBASE PERFORMANCE

4. ADO+SHAPE+Oracle

5. performance comparison with Interbase

6. Export data from SQLServer2000 to Access2000

7. Local Interbase performance

8. How to stop FMPro from accessing modem?

9. INTERBASE 4.2 performance problems

10. Interbase - performance comparisions???

11. Interbase, performance and data-aware controls

12. Interbase performance HELP!

13. performance comparison with Interbase