IDAPI.CFG - reading and writing

Post by Louis Hei » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

We are developing a system which enables the user to work on a paradox
database off his local drive or LAN or WAN.

We are faced with two possible solutions.

1. Modify the IDAPI.CFG file to change the pathnames of the respective
aliases at runtime.  If this is best...how?

2. Place a databse component on the mainform and change the aliasname
property at runtime.  The databasename will remain the same as this is
the property the TTables reference.

Has anyone been faced with a similar problem. If so is there another
way?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Post by Bernard Hamaou » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> We are developing a system which enables the user to work on a paradox
> database off his local drive or LAN or WAN.

> We are faced with two possible solutions.

> 1. Modify the IDAPI.CFG file to change the pathnames of the respective
> aliases at runtime.  If this is best...how?

> 2. Place a databse component on the mainform and change the aliasname
> property at runtime.  The databasename will remain the same as this is
> the property the TTables reference.

> Has anyone been faced with a similar problem. If so is there another
> way?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Louis,

I have many applications on Novell server.  Since I don't want to grant
them update access on IDAPI or Application directory, I store the
database alias in a INI file.

U could easely do the same by having in your INI file a Local and a
Remote Alias.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Bernard

IDAPI.CFG - reading and writing

Post by h. van der Waa » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We are developing a system which enables the user to work on a paradox
> database off his local drive or LAN or WAN.

> We are faced with two possible solutions.

> 1. Modify the IDAPI.CFG file to change the pathnames of the respective
> aliases at runtime.  If this is best...how?

> 2. Place a databse component on the mainform and change the aliasname
> property at runtime.  The databasename will remain the same as this is
> the property the TTables reference.

> Has anyone been faced with a similar problem. If so is there another
> way?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Well since installation of idapi is really great fuzz I recommend no alias
at all.
Use the database compo of the first form, or on your main form. Include
oncreate the following:

database1.close ( if not done at design time)
database1.params.clear;
database1.params.add('path=c:\yourdir');
database1.open;

IDAPI.CFG - reading and writing

Post by Paul Motye » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

What I do is close all tables, adjust the databasename parameter of all
tables then open all tables.

It works.  No aliases.

--
Paul Motyer

Croydon, Australia, 3136

> > We are developing a system which enables the user to work on a paradox
> > database off his local drive or LAN or WAN.

> > We are faced with two possible solutions.

> > 1. Modify the IDAPI.CFG file to change the pathnames of the respective
> > aliases at runtime.  If this is best...how?

> > 2. Place a databse component on the mainform and change the aliasname
> > property at runtime.  The databasename will remain the same as this is
> > the property the TTables reference.

> > Has anyone been faced with a similar problem. If so is there another
> > way?  Any help greatly appreciated.

> Well since installation of idapi is really great fuzz I recommend no
alias
> at all.
> Use the database compo of the first form, or on your main form. Include
> oncreate the following:

> database1.close ( if not done at design time)
> database1.params.clear;
> database1.params.add('path=c:\yourdir');
> database1.open;

1. ALIAS IN idapi.cfg AND PDOXWORK.CFG

EVERYTIME I START TOOLS/BDE CONFIG I SEE VERY STRANGE ALIASES SUCH AS
ACCESS / ODBC DSN : ACCESS / OPEN MODE : BLANK
RS_BTRIEVE / ODBC DSN : RS_BTRIEVE / OPEN MODE : BLANK .
SO I DELETE ALIASES WHICH I NEVER MAKE AND FILE/SAVE.

BUT NEXT TIME I OPEN IT, I CAN SEE THEM AGAIN.

ALSO WHEN TRY TO SELECT TABLE1.DATABASENAME IN OBJECT INSPECTOR,
THERE IS ERROR MESSAGE " COULD NOT FIND OBJECT " .

PLS KINDLY ADVISE WHAT IS PROBLEM AND HOW CAN I FIX IT.

ALSO PLS ADV WHAT IS PDOXWORK.CFG .

I INSTALLED INFOPOWER FEW DAYS AGO AND LOOKS LIKE AFTER THAT TIME
 I EXPERIENCE THIS KIND OF PROBLEM BUT NOT SURE.

2. Nesting Stored Procedure

3. IDAPI.CFG

4. VARIOUS-APPLICATIONS CONSULTANT

5. idapi.cfg

6. Trigger

7. Setting NET DIR in IDAPI.CFG

8. SQL*Loader -- Non-data dependent error

9. Adding and deleting ODBC drivers in the IDAPI.CFG at run time

10. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (1/1)

11. Changing IDAPI.CFG programmatically, how?

12. Using alternate IDAPI.CFG with an app

13. Pdox Win 5.0 - Idapi & Net.cfg