Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by ss sures » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me from where I could get a pure JDBC Driver for
MS-Access ?
If you have one can you give me ?

with regards
ssuresh

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Chris Lalo » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've been wondering that myself, but it looks like the answer is no. I
found this link in a different posting:

http://javanese.yoyoweb.com/JDBC/FAQ.txt

Good luck!
Chris
--
My name is Nieberding . . . <i>James</i> Nieberding

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Michael Che » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

IDS Server should be the one you are looking for. The examples are
run off a Access database. The JDBC driver is pure Java good for applets.

   http://www.idssoftware.com/

Thanks

--Michael

>Hi everybody,

>Can anyone tell me from where I could get a pure JDBC Driver for
>MS-Access ?
>If you have one can you give me ?

>with regards
>ssuresh

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Gregory J Smit » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

But suppose I want to update an Access database that resides on the
actual client machine - the IDS FAQ states that the JDBC driver cannot
run without the IDS Server - I don't understand how that fits in.  All I
want is to get directly at an Access database.

What am I missing here?

Greg

> IDS Server should be the one you are looking for. The examples are
> run off a Access database. The JDBC driver is pure Java good for
> applets.

>    http://www.idssoftware.com/

> Thanks

> --Michael

> >Hi everybody,

> >Can anyone tell me from where I could get a pure JDBC Driver for
> >MS-Access ?
> >If you have one can you give me ?

> >with regards
> >ssuresh

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Anders Bornho » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 09 Dec 1997 13:46:42 -0500, Gregory J Smith

>But suppose I want to update an Access database that resides on the
>actual client machine - the IDS FAQ states that the JDBC driver cannot
>run without the IDS Server - I don't understand how that fits in.  All I
>want is to get directly at an Access database.

>What am I missing here?

As far as I know there is no pure JDBC driver for MS Access. The
easiest way to do away with a server is to use the jdbc-odbc bridge
that is included in jdk 1.1.x. The only thing you have to do is setup
a datasource.

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Liam McCuske » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I agree.  I took a look at IDS, and wasn't impressed.  I have a similar
problem concerning Access db's.  I just need to create an applet that will
querry the database as it resides on the server - thus allowing me to simply
replace the database with a newer one of the same make when it becomes
available.  However, I have VJ++1.0 and have discovered the DAO components.
Now the problem is that these components are version 3.5, and any code that
I can find for DAO is written for version 3.0.  To make things simple, can
anyone direct me to specs on the DAO?

Liam

--
Liam McCusker

Come See Me At My Pad!!
http://www.javanet.com/~liam0218

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Jacob W. Cormie » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Are you sure that DAO will work in an applet?  It certainly won't work
in Netscape or HotJava.

If you want to be platform/browser independent, you will have to use a
middle-tier solution like Visigenic Visichannel.

--
Jacob W. Cormier
Software Test Engineer

Pure JDBC Driver for MS-Access

Post by Liam McCuske » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Well, no I'm not sure.  So I've come up with a solution to my problem that
eliminates any problem of compatability.  I've taken the database and exported it
to ASCII format and am using a Java Text "Viewer" applet to dl and search through
it.  I'm rewriting a project that I dl'ed from somewhere (I'll have to check
later for the address if anyone's interested) so that it automatically dl's a
file taken from a parameter.  I'm also using another parameter to specify how
many files that will be allowed to search through, as well as a parameter to
specify each file name.
So far I've gotten the display and functions working.  All that's left is the
parameters and search functions.
Speaking of which, I know this is off topic for this group, but could someone
give me an example of how I might take a text file of any size and search for a
given string?  I would greatly appreciate it as I've been searching through all
of the Java specs to figure this out not to mention that I'm still very much of a
novice to Java.

Thanks much for all the help.

Liam

> Are you sure that DAO will work in an applet?  It certainly won't work
> in Netscape or HotJava.

> If you want to be platform/browser independent, you will have to use a
> middle-tier solution like Visigenic Visichannel.

> > <SNIP>  However, I have VJ++1.0 and have discovered the DAO components.
> > Now the problem is that these components are version 3.5, and any code that
> > I can find for DAO is written for version 3.0.  To make things simple, can
> > anyone direct me to specs on the DAO?

> > Liam

> --
> Jacob W. Cormier
> Software Test Engineer
> SuperCede, Inc.
> Check out the "Fastest Java on the Planet" at http://www.supercede.com/
> Please remove the ".DOT" from my e-mail address to reply

--
Liam McCusker
Web Site Admin
Knight Productions