Looking for Chat-solution working over firewalls

Looking for Chat-solution working over firewalls

Post by Jens Albe » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello !

I'm looking for a chat solution, which also works over firewalls. I searched in
www.developer.com and java.sun.com and found a lot of chat-solutions, but as
far as I know it is not sure that they work if your are sitting behind a
firewall which only allows http and https as protocols.

Most chat-applications work with their own socket communication. This will be
filtered out by the most company-owned firewalls.

If anybody knows a chat product which works with firewalls (e.g. with
HTTP-Tunneling, etc) or knows you to write the java program for doing this,
please send me a mail or answer this message.

Thanks for your help !

Post by Robert Uomi » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hello !

>I'm looking for a chat solution, which also works over firewalls. I searched in
>www.developer.com and java.sun.com and found a lot of chat-solutions, but as
>far as I know it is not sure that they work if your are sitting behind a
>firewall which only allows http and https as protocols.

>Most chat-applications work with their own socket communication. This will be
>filtered out by the most company-owned firewalls.

>If anybody knows a chat product which works with firewalls (e.g. with
>HTTP-Tunneling, etc) or knows you to write the java program for doing this,
>please send me a mail or answer this message.

>Thanks for your help !

The JDC Chat applet works through firewalls, as I recall, and the source is available from Sun
(or at least was, the last time I downloaded it)

Bob
--
Robert Uomini
The Fractal Images Company (http://www.fractals.com)

Looking for Chat-solution working over firewalls

Post by Frank Hoehne » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Wenn's auch ein strukturieter Chat sein darf :
  http://www.jconference.de

Frank H?hnel

> Hello !

> I'm looking for a chat solution, which also works over firewalls. I searched in
> www.developer.com and java.sun.com and found a lot of chat-solutions, but as
> far as I know it is not sure that they work if your are sitting behind a
> firewall which only allows http and https as protocols.

> Most chat-applications work with their own socket communication. This will be
> filtered out by the most company-owned firewalls.

> If anybody knows a chat product which works with firewalls (e.g. with
> HTTP-Tunneling, etc) or knows you to write the java program for doing this,
> please send me a mail or answer this message.

> Thanks for your help !

Looking for Chat-solution working over firewalls

Post by Fabio Hiroyuki Yamai » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I don't know if you want a "ready-to-use" aplication or not, but I'll tel you
anyway. Just a reminder, this is NO kind of adverti*t.

My company also has a firewall. I use the AOL Instant Messenger to communicate
faster with our partners. It uses HTTPS, so I can go through the firewall without
problems.

Again, this is NOT an adverti*t. I'm not even a subscriber to the AOL. I just
use their AOL Instant Messenger system as an alternative to e-mail.

Good luck.

--

- x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x -

Fabio Hiroyuki Yamaia
Amazon Technologies Co.
phone #: +1 (972) 205-8221
fax #  : +1 (972) 205-5919

- x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x -

Looking for Chat-solution working over firewalls

Post by Sergei Haramundani » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

After the previous replies, if you are still stuck, I wrote a TCP/IP point-to-point
serverless chat program that supports specifying a proxy server. If that is a
solution for you, let me know. However, I am not distributing the sources.

> Hello !

> I'm looking for a chat solution, which also works over firewalls. I searched in
> www.developer.com and java.sun.com and found a lot of chat-solutions, but as
> far as I know it is not sure that they work if your are sitting behind a
> firewall which only allows http and https as protocols.

> Most chat-applications work with their own socket communication. This will be
> filtered out by the most company-owned firewalls.

> If anybody knows a chat product which works with firewalls (e.g. with
> HTTP-Tunneling, etc) or knows you to write the java program for doing this,
> please send me a mail or answer this message.

> Thanks for your help !

Looking for Chat-solution working over firewalls

Post by Buck » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The JDC Chat sounds like a good idea, but what if I want a Java application
that works with existing chat software? Say for instance I want to use ICQ
at work and get around the network firewall. Since I can specify what socket
ICQ communicates to, couldn't I write a Java applet that can make a bridge
between the host and ICQ network. I'm kind of new to client/server
programming so I may have no idea what I'm talking about. Does this sound
possible to anyone?

1. Firewalls: Solutions Anyone?

What are the options for having a firewall program and proxy server
on the port which is used for communications between PowerBuilder or Access
clients across the internet to a Sybase Server behind a firewall?

The systems programmers at my site want to implement S/Key,
a BellCore non-reusable password mechanism...the concept and
dialog between the client and proxy server is similar to other products
like SecurID, Secure Net, and Enigma Card.

Mechanism: Client accesses the firewall, the firewall challenges,
the client must respond with the correct string, the firewall then lets the
communication proceed as normal.  Having the communication between
client and server encrypted after this initial dialog would also be
desirable. Of course, we would like to implement this using free or fairly
inexpensive tools.

Any available Open Server apps available, products available, etc?
Thanks for your suggestions in this regard...Seth
--
Seth Perlman  Unix/Sybase Consultaant
6000 Rusk Avenue

2. DRI - Multiple Databases

3. Looking for a solution building in oracle 8.16 could use ideas/solutions

4. EXPLAIN PLAN differences

5. Looking for VFP5 chat buddy...

6. FM Modem Prefs - Help Help!

7. Looking for a Developer chat area

8. Multiple Calls for Stored Procedures

9. September PASS Chat - Learn about SQL Server 2000 - www.sqlpass.org/chat.cfm

10. SQL Server Chat: Working with Developers and SQL Server, sponsored by SSWUG

11. PROB: Looking for a better solution to this SQL problem

12. Looking Out for Practical Solution - Help Please