Using Package and Deployment Wizard - Didn't work

Using Package and Deployment Wizard - Didn't work

Post by troy_sigw.. » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:24:07

I have a program written in VB6 on a NT 4.0 machine.  It gets data from
2 different access databases, and writes some additional info to a 3rd
access database.  I have the program running beautifully on my machine,
no problems.  When I used the Package and Deployment wizard to create a
setup.exe file it works great.  Will install on a users machine (with
NT 4.0) fine, but when you try to execute the program you get an
error "3706 Provider cannot be found and cannot be installed".  I am
not a network guy or even a great programmer, and am really stumped.
Please help.

Here is a section of my VB6 Program that access the database if this
helps at all:

Dim dbProj As ADODB.Connection
    Set dbProj = New Connection
    dbProj.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    dbProj.Open "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51;Data Source=\\Pnrt001
\Common\Cost_Sys\db\Procure.mdb;"
    Set rsproj = New Recordset
    rsproj.Open "select Project_ID from Project where IsObsolete =
False", dbProj, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
    Set dataProjNum.RowSource = rsproj
    dataProjNum.BoundColumn = "Project_ID"
    dataProjNum.ListField = "Project_ID"

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Gecko2 » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:50:55

> Here is a section of my VB6 Program that access the database if this
> helps at all:

> Dim dbProj As ADODB.Connection
>     Set dbProj = New Connection
>     dbProj.CursorLocation = adUseClient
>     dbProj.Open "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51;Data
Source=\\Pnrt001
> \Common\Cost_Sys\db\Procure.mdb;"
>     Set rsproj = New Recordset
>     rsproj.Open "select Project_ID from Project where IsObsolete =
> False", dbProj, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
>     Set dataProjNum.RowSource = rsproj
>     dataProjNum.BoundColumn = "Project_ID"
>     dataProjNum.ListField = "Project_ID"

Two possibilities jump to mind:
1) JET isn't installed on the target machine

2) I've run into a similiar problem myself, and found that installing
the DCOM.EXE and MDAC.EXE packages from the VB6 installation CD cleared
up a lot of problems. (They aren't included in the distro by default)

I don't remember needing to go with 2) when I installed on our NT4 box,
but it was definately required when I started dropping code on older 95
and 98 machines.

Good luck.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by troy_sigw.. » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:17:07

> > Here is a section of my VB6 Program that access the database if this
> > helps at all:

> > Dim dbProj As ADODB.Connection
> >     Set dbProj = New Connection
> >     dbProj.CursorLocation = adUseClient
> >     dbProj.Open "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51;Data
> Source=\\Pnrt001
> > \Common\Cost_Sys\db\Procure.mdb;"
> >     Set rsproj = New Recordset
> >     rsproj.Open "select Project_ID from Project where IsObsolete =
> > False", dbProj, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
> >     Set dataProjNum.RowSource = rsproj
> >     dataProjNum.BoundColumn = "Project_ID"
> >     dataProjNum.ListField = "Project_ID"

> Two possibilities jump to mind:
> 1) JET isn't installed on the target machine

> 2) I've run into a similiar problem myself, and found that installing
> the DCOM.EXE and MDAC.EXE packages from the VB6 installation CD
cleared
> up a lot of problems. (They aren't included in the distro by default)

> I don't remember needing to go with 2) when I installed on our NT4
box,
> but it was definately required when I started dropping code on older
95
> and 98 machines.

> Good luck.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

How do I know if Jet is installed on the other machines.  Went to the
Data Sources (ODBC drivers) and the user shows a microsoft access
driver.  What else am I looking for?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Using Package and Deployment Wizard - Didn't work

Post by Carey » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:05:05

Goto :

http://www.microsoft.com/data/

And Download MDAC 2.6 and Jet 4.0...

?????????????????.:
Carey Bingham, B.Sc.
Senior Developer / Analyst
Ritadon Inc.

Post by troy_sigw.. » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:44:45

> Goto :

> http://www.microsoft.com/data/

> And Download MDAC 2.6 and Jet 4.0...

> ?????????????????.:
> Carey Bingham, B.Sc.
> Senior Developer / Analyst
> Ritadon Inc.

> > > Source=\\Pnrt001
IsObsolete =

> > > Two possibilities jump to mind:
> > > 1) JET isn't installed on the target machine

> > > 2) I've run into a similiar problem myself, and found that
installing
> > > the DCOM.EXE and MDAC.EXE packages from the VB6 installation CD
> > cleared
> > > up a lot of problems. (They aren't included in the distro by
default)

> > > I don't remember needing to go with 2) when I installed on our NT4
> > box,
> > > but it was definately required when I started dropping code on
older
> > 95
> > > and 98 machines.

> > > Good luck.

> > > Sent via Deja.com
> > > http://www.deja.com/

> > How do I know if Jet is installed on the other machines.  Went to
the
> > Data Sources (ODBC drivers) and the user shows a microsoft access
> > driver.  What else am I looking for?

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Well apparantly there is a conflict with different versions of the
mdac_type.exe file.  When I use the version with VB, I get an error,
when I use a version that was included with my AutoCAD 2000 CD (I think
it has version 2.0), everything works fine.

I guess this is why I stick to programming for myself and not for the
masses, sigh.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Gecko2 » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:33:02

> Well apparantly there is a conflict with different versions of the
> mdac_type.exe file.  When I use the version with VB, I get an error,
> when I use a version that was included with my AutoCAD 2000 CD (I
think
> it has version 2.0), everything works fine.

Yeah, the previous post didn't mention it, but be very cautious mixing
versions of anything MS produces.

The easiest way to tell if JET is already installed on a machine is to
look for a copy of Access (it can't run without it).

Quote:> I guess this is why I stick to programming for myself and not for the
> masses, sigh.

VB has long had some hangups to overcome for making distributable
programs (prior to VB5 it was huge runtime DLLs, and constantly
changing OLE specs and runtimes, and here lately, there are many other
separate packages to consider), and the *vast* majority of VB
development is strictly in-house. (Since the developer actually has
control over the configuration of the machines the code will eventually
run on, and is of course on sight to be able to diagnose bugs with live
data and all.)

Not that you can't write code for general consumption, but there are
definately gremlins in the works just waiting for the chance to spoil
your day.

Good luck though...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Using Package and Deployment Wizard - Didn't work

Post by Chris Newma » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:47:58

Hi

I had similar issued and just got the MDAC 2.6 down and the JET - installed
MDAC FIRST then JET and it is quite happy now.

Windows ME and Windows 2000 dont need JET4.0 for the program to work.

Also, MDAC 2.6 doesnt contain Jet 4.0.

Chris Newman

> > Well apparantly there is a conflict with different versions of the
> > mdac_type.exe file.  When I use the version with VB, I get an error,
> > when I use a version that was included with my AutoCAD 2000 CD (I
> think
> > it has version 2.0), everything works fine.

> Yeah, the previous post didn't mention it, but be very cautious mixing
> versions of anything MS produces.

> The easiest way to tell if JET is already installed on a machine is to
> look for a copy of Access (it can't run without it).

> > I guess this is why I stick to programming for myself and not for the
> > masses, sigh.
> VB has long had some hangups to overcome for making distributable
> programs (prior to VB5 it was huge runtime DLLs, and constantly
> changing OLE specs and runtimes, and here lately, there are many other
> separate packages to consider), and the *vast* majority of VB
> development is strictly in-house. (Since the developer actually has
> control over the configuration of the machines the code will eventually
> run on, and is of course on sight to be able to diagnose bugs with live
> data and all.)

> Not that you can't write code for general consumption, but there are
> definately gremlins in the works just waiting for the chance to spoil
> your day.

> Good luck though...

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. Package and Deployment Wizard doesn't work with Data Environment Report

Christopher,

I think the problem may well be that the package and deployment program does
not pick up on the required file MSDERUN.DLL.

This file will be installed on your machine with VB and would explain why
the executable works on your machine.

Rerun the Package and Deployment wizard and on one of the screens you get
the opportunity to add a file manually.

Find MSDERUN.DLL and add it.

Make sure it registers on the client machine aswell.

Cheers,
Neil

I created the sample Data Report that is outlined in MSDN under VB98,
"Creating a
Simple Report".  I then ran the Package and Deployment Wizard on the project
that
I had just created.  I tested the setup file on three computers, mine being
one
of them.  The executable works on my computer, but not on the others.  Does
anyone have an idea why?

2. D3 superQpointers

3. Oninit didn't work fine and I don't know why

4. Ensuring there is always a field with a 0 value in a table

5. Package and Deployment Wizard Error 743

6. Dumping the Transaction Log

7. Package&Deployment wizard problem

8. SQLMail,POP3,Outlook2K & still problems

9. Package and deployment wizard

10. MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

11. Package & Deployment Wizard Problem

12. package and deployment wizard

13. Package & Deployment Wizard with SQL2000