RDO error 429

Post by MI » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I am trying to use RDO to access a SQL db and I keep getting the message
429 - ActiveX component can't create object.  The connection was created
from Control panel, ODBC32 under Nt Workstation 4.0 sp4. The code that it
breaks on is the "Set db" line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

Dim db As rdoConnection
Dim rs As rdoResultset
Dim sSQL As String

Set db = rdoEngine.rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("Court")

sSQL = "Select * from Docket"
Set rs = db.OpenResultset(sSQL, rdoopenkeyset)

rs.MoveFirst
While Not rs.EOF
   Print rs.rdoColumns(0)
   rs.MoveNext
Wend
rs.Close
db.Close

RDO error 429

Post by Bill Slate » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Do you have VB/VS Enterprise Edition?

> Hi,
> I am trying to use RDO to access a SQL db and I keep getting the message
> 429 - ActiveX component can't create object.  The connection was created
> from Control panel, ODBC32 under Nt Workstation 4.0 sp4. The code that it
> breaks on is the "Set db" line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Brian

> Dim db As rdoConnection
> Dim rs As rdoResultset
> Dim sSQL As String

> Set db = rdoEngine.rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("Court")

> sSQL = "Select * from Docket"
> Set rs = db.OpenResultset(sSQL, rdoopenkeyset)

> rs.MoveFirst
> While Not rs.EOF
>    Print rs.rdoColumns(0)
>    rs.MoveNext
> Wend
> rs.Close
> db.Close

  bslater.vcf
< 1K Download

RDO error 429

Post by Charles Stor » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You need to declare a rdoEnvironment, fill it with rdoEngine(0) and use
rdoEnvireonment.OpenConnection
or use
DIM rdoConnection as NEW rdoConnection

>Do you have VB/VS Enterprise Edition?

>> Hi,
>> I am trying to use RDO to access a SQL db and I keep getting the message
>> 429 - ActiveX component can't create object.  The connection was created
>> from Control panel, ODBC32 under Nt Workstation 4.0 sp4. The code that it
>> breaks on is the "Set db" line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Brian

>> Dim db As rdoConnection
>> Dim rs As rdoResultset
>> Dim sSQL As String

>> Set db = rdoEngine.rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("Court")

>> sSQL = "Select * from Docket"
>> Set rs = db.OpenResultset(sSQL, rdoopenkeyset)

>> rs.MoveFirst
>> While Not rs.EOF
>>    Print rs.rdoColumns(0)
>>    rs.MoveNext
>> Wend
>> rs.Close
>> db.Close

RDO error 429

Post by MI » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> --------------C9DE482EC705FA0B0749B7C7

> Do you have VB/VS Enterprise Edition?

I've got the Professional Edition. Let me guess, throw more $ at Bill?
bg

RDO error 429

Post by MI » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> You need to declare a rdoEnvironment, fill it with rdoEngine(0) and use
> rdoEnvireonment.OpenConnection
> or use
> DIM rdoConnection as NEW rdoConnection

Bill,
Tried the Dim route but got the same message.  Technet is blind to this.
It suggested I upgrade to sp3, but after the upgrade I still get the same
message.
Brian

RDO error 429

Post by William R Highfie » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I am trying to use RDO to access a SQL db and I keep getting the message
>429 - ActiveX component can't create object.  The connection was created
>from Control panel, ODBC32 under Nt Workstation 4.0 sp4. The code that it
>breaks on is the "Set db" line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Brian

Brian hit the KB at MS this error is very well documented and happens
not only to VB but Access as well.  Pro version does not come with
RDO.  But you can get MDac from MS and try ADO.

RDO error 429

Post by Charles Stor » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>You need to declare a rdoEnvironment, fill it with rdoEngine(0) and use
>rdoEnvireonment.OpenConnection
>or use
>DIM rdoConnection as NEW rdoConnection

>>Do you have VB/VS Enterprise Edition?

>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying to use RDO to access a SQL db and I keep getting the message
>>> 429 - ActiveX component can't create object.  The connection was created
>>> from Control panel, ODBC32 under Nt Workstation 4.0 sp4. The code that
it
>>> breaks on is the "Set db" line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Brian

Try this:

Dim env as rdoEnvironment
Dim db As rdoConnection
Dim rs As rdoResultset
Dim sSQL As String

Set env=rdoEngine.rdoEnvironments(0)
Set db = env.OpenConnection(dsnName := "Court")
sSQL = "Select * from Docket"
Set rs = db.OpenResultset(sSQL, rdOpenKeyset)

rs.MoveFirst
While Not rs.EOF
    Print rs.rdoColumns(0)
    rs.MoveNext
Wend
rs.Close
db.Close

There is no reason why it sgould not work.
BTW: I changed rdoOpenKeyset to rdOpenKeyset