Problems with Data Access

Post by Sged » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I got two big problems, I hope someone canb help.

1., I'm using Delphi 1 (16-bit) under Windows NT 3.51. The only
ODBC-driver that works for accessing an ACCESS database (via BDE) is the
32-bit ACCESS driver for Access 7.0 (I'm using an ACCESS 2.0 table,
though). Now, if I want to install my BDE app on Windows 95, Win 3.11 or
other, it doesn't work with no ODBC driver. All other ODBC-drivers deliver
the message : EDBEngine Error..... Invalid configuration parameter. Alias.

2., Why doesn't the DBGrid Scrollbar move correctly. If I'm on the first
record, the scrollbar is on the top, if I'm on the last record, it moves
to the bottom, anywhere else it stays in the middle and doesn't move, when
I'm moving through the records.

Thank you in advance !
Ramin

Problems with Data Access

Post by Machie » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> 2., Why doesn't the DBGrid Scrollbar move correctly. If I'm on the first
> record, the scrollbar is on the top, if I'm on the last record, it moves
> to the bottom, anywhere else it stays in the middle and doesn't move,
when
> I'm moving through the records.

This is the 'normal' behaviour of a DBGrid. I don't know why borland
choose for it. In the DBD they don't use it.
You can see this behaviour as Previous or next page.

Machiel.

Problems with Data Access

Post by Bryan Kelle » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I got two big problems, I hope someone canb help.

> 1., I'm using Delphi 1 (16-bit) under Windows NT 3.51. The only
> ODBC-driver that works for accessing an ACCESS database (via BDE) is the
> 32-bit ACCESS driver for Access 7.0 (I'm using an ACCESS 2.0 table,
> though). Now, if I want to install my BDE app on Windows 95, Win 3.11 or
> other, it doesn't work with no ODBC driver. All other ODBC-drivers deliver
> the message : EDBEngine Error..... Invalid configuration parameter. Alias.

> --- snipped ---

Here's my experience with ODBC and Delphi (please correct me if I'm wrong):

-From NT and Delphi 1, you can use either 16 or 32 bit ODBC. In Win 95 or Windows 3.1,
you're stuck with 16-bit ODBC only.

-From Delphi 2, it's 32-bit ODBC only.

-Bryan

Problems with Data Access

Post by Bryan Kelle » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> This is the 'normal' behaviour of a DBGrid. I don't know why borland
> choose for it. In the DBD they don't use it.
> You can see this behaviour as Previous or next page.

> Machiel.

I think the scrollbar acts like this because when going against a large SQL cursor, you
don't really know where you are relative to the last record because not all of the
records have been fetched. Records are fetched as needed as you scroll up or down.
Against a Paradox table you could make the scrollbar act normally, and I've seen a 3rd
party product that does make it act normally, but against Paradox tables only.

I suppose you could estimate where in the cursor you are by doing a count to start, then
counting the number of records fetched. I think it would get pretty complicated though,
and you'd pay a little in performance.

-Bryan

Problems with Data Access

Post by Joe Hea » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi, I got two big problems, I hope someone canb help.

>1., I'm using Delphi 1 (16-bit) under Windows NT 3.51. The only
>ODBC-driver that works for accessing an ACCESS database (via BDE) is the
>32-bit ACCESS driver for Access 7.0 (I'm using an ACCESS 2.0 table,
>though). Now, if I want to install my BDE app on Windows 95, Win 3.11 or
>other, it doesn't work with no ODBC driver. All other ODBC-drivers deliver
>the message : EDBEngine Error..... Invalid configuration parameter. Alias.

>2., Why doesn't the DBGrid Scrollbar move correctly. If I'm on the first
>record, the scrollbar is on the top, if I'm on the last record, it moves
>to the bottom, anywhere else it stays in the middle and doesn't move, when
>I'm moving through the records.

>Thank you in advance !
>Ramin

First, post only one q per message, you'll get better results.

You need to get ahold of the latest 16-bit odbc 2.0 drivers f
rom microsoft.  I get them from my MSDN L2 subscription.

They will showup in your ODBC Admin as

"MS Access 7.0 Database( Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb))"

I believe they can also be dug out of the Microsoft Web set.

Any of the others, such as the ones that start their
descriptions with 'Access...' will fail.
--
Joe Healy - Tampa / St Petersburg FL

Problems with Data Access

Post by Nick Liristi » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi, I got two big problems, I hope someone canb help.

> > 1., I'm using Delphi 1 (16-bit) under Windows NT 3.51. The only
> > ODBC-driver that works for accessing an ACCESS database (via BDE) is the
> > 32-bit ACCESS driver for Access 7.0 (I'm using an ACCESS 2.0 table,
> > though). Now, if I want to install my BDE app on Windows 95, Win 3.11 or
> > other, it doesn't work with no ODBC driver. All other ODBC-drivers deliver
> > the message : EDBEngine Error..... Invalid configuration parameter. Alias.

> > --- snipped ---

> Here's my experience with ODBC and Delphi (please correct me if I'm wrong):

> -From NT and Delphi 1, you can use either 16 or 32 bit ODBC. In Win 95 or Windows 3.1,
> you're stuck with 16-bit ODBC only.

> -From Delphi 2, it's 32-bit ODBC only.

> -Bryan

You are right for the most part.

Quote:> -From NT and Delphi 1, you can use either 16 or 32 bit ODBC.*** That's right
> In Win 95 or Windows 3.1, you're stuck with 16-bit ODBC only.

*** You are stuck with 16-bit ODBC only under Win 3.1x. For WIN95 you
    should use the 32bit ODBC drivers.

Quote:> -From Delphi 2, it's 32-bit ODBC only.*** That's right

Problems with Data Access

Post by Jens Ba » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> 2., Why doesn't the DBGrid Scrollbar move correctly. If I'm on the first
>> record, the scrollbar is on the top, if I'm on the last record, it moves
>> to the bottom, anywhere else it stays in the middle and doesn't move,
>> when I'm moving through the records.

>This is the 'normal' behaviour of a DBGrid. I don't know why borland
>choose for it.

I don't know if this is the correct reason, but I have a hunch that it works
that way, because it is only possible to get a record number for Paradox
tables, and so they didn't implement the record number functionality in the
TTable class. And since the record number functionality isn't there, the
TDBGrid doesn't display it's scrollbar properly. Just a guess.

CUL8R dude!                       \|/

Jens  +=======================oOO=(_)=OOo=======================+

      | FidoNet         2:235/142     OS2Net          81:445/49 |
      | VirNet          9:451/238     Fax     +45 - 3537 - 7006 |
      +=========================================================+

1. Problems in Data Access From VB

Can someone solve these problems ??
1. I have entered a function in ACCESS MDB. Writing a query accessing this
    function works fine in ACCESS, but accessing it through VB gives an
undefined
    function error.
    Also if I write the same function in VB prog. and try to access this
Query, it gives
    the same error.

2. How do I do compacting of MDB file through ADO (Data provider is Jet 4.0)

Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

2. enumerate records

3. Problems with Data Access

4. Installing SQL 7 Server

5. Problem with Data Access - File Not Found

6. stringgrid

7. Problem with Data Access from Visual Basic 6 to Informix 7.30

8. Looking for a programmer with exp. in DB2/2

9. Data Type Problem accessing Btrieve (MBF) data type

10. JDBC Beta Program for multi database data access ( CONNX Access all your enterprise data using JDBC)