help - "data source name not found"

Post by David Leisne » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have created a web application that uses ASP on the front end, which calls
VB functions that read and write to an Access database.

Everything works great when the VB DLL is in run mode, but after it is
compiled, I am getting the following message in the Event Viewer when trying
to connect to the Access database via ODBC:

"Data source name not found and no default driver specified from Microsoft
OLE DB Provider for ODBC drivers."

I have already created the ODBC data source (under System DSN).

Here is the relevant code from the DLL:

Dim Conn As ADODB.Connection

Set Conn = New ADODB.Connection
Conn.Open "webdb"  //////////this is where it is blowing up

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Post by Jim in Clevelan » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I have created a web application that uses ASP on the front end, which calls
> VB functions that read and write to an Access database.

> Everything works great when the VB DLL is in run mode, but after it is
> compiled, I am getting the following message in the Event Viewer when trying
> to connect to the Access database via ODBC:

> "Data source name not found and no default driver specified from Microsoft
> OLE DB Provider for ODBC drivers."

> I have already created the ODBC data source (under System DSN).

> Here is the relevant code from the DLL:

> Dim Conn As ADODB.Connection

> Set Conn = New ADODB.Connection
> Conn.Open "webdb"  //////////this is where it is blowing up

(not cross-posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion)

From http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm#DSN

  oConn.Open "DSN=AdvWorks;" & _
   "UID=Admin;" & _
   "PWD=;"

  Note, starting with MDAC 2.1 you will no longer be able to put just
  a DSN name in. You must put the DSN tag, plus the UID and
  PWD tags in the connection string.

Sounds like this might be relevant?
--
Jim in Cleveland
If you're writing to me, in my address

1. "Data source not found" message

Hi,

after applying Service Pack 3, my NT service, which until then worked just
fine, started reporting the following message "Data source name not found
and no default driver specified". I know that the SP installs ODBC 3.0, but
one would think that a SP wouldn't break existing (and working)
applications. Also tried to remove/reinstall my system data source using
the ODBC CPL applet, but the error persists.

I use MSVC 4.2 and the data source is an Access database. Do I really,
really have to install new database drivers (I _dont_ want to!), or is
there any way of getting around this?

Many thanks,

// Johan Nilsson

2. max recordsets using a single ado connection

3. "Data source name too long" exception

4. ANN: Online Certificate Program in Data Mining

5. Performance Monitor: "Computer Name Not Found"

6. Progress/Perm/Relo/Chicago

7. "DataSource" data member not found

8. Update Grams

9. "Could not find data access library"

10. "not data found" error in replication

11. Help with "File Not Found" error

12. "Alias xxxx not found" HELP

13. HELP: "Variable xyz not found"