You're the man, man !!!

Post by Giovanni Machad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Steve.

I've watching you're answers in a Delphi newsgroup and realized you know D4
as deeply as I will never know it.

Well, I'm a begginer in D4 and trying to change from my ClipperSaurus-Rex to
D4. But, for me, D4 have some dark points I can't understand.

Is it possible I send you some of this points and you help me ?
If it's not, I'll not bother you anymore, I promiss.

Best regards
Giovanni

PS : Sorry about my terrible english, I'm Brazilian.

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Giovanni Machad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sorry Liz,
I wanted to mail Steve, but pressed the wrong button and posted into the
newsgroup :-}
Ops...

[]s
Giovanni

Post by Steve Koters » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:10:06 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>I've watching you're answers in a Delphi newsgroup and realized you know D4
>as deeply as I will never know it.

Well, thank you. But I must say that while I participate in these
newsgroups on my own initiative, my skills with Delphi are due to working
here at Borland. I joined the team initially as part of Developer Support
just as Delphi 1 was about to be released. I have been working with Delphi
here in some capacity since then, now in Technical Publications.

Quote:>Well, I'm a begginer in D4 and trying to change from my ClipperSaurus-Rex to
>D4. But, for me, D4 have some dark points I can't understand.

>Is it possible I send you some of this points and you help me ?
>If it's not, I'll not bother you anymore, I promiss.

One of the great benefits of asking and answering technical questions in
newsgroups versus by e-mail is that many people get to see the
conversation. Thus many people can participate, adding their own
perspective, and many people have the opportunity to learn something new.
With e-mail, though, only the two people participating in the private
conversation benefit. So I encourage you to post questions whenever you
need help, when you do not understand something, or when you have
discovered some spiffy new thing. But I really prefer that they be here in
the newsgroup. Thanks.

Steve Koterski                               "You may already be a loser."
Felton, CA                                      -- Form letter received by
                                                   Rodney Dangerfield

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Steve Koters » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I aspire one day to be view such as Steve

Thanks. I try.

Steve Koterski                               "You may already be a loser."
Felton, CA                                      -- Form letter received by
                                                   Rodney Dangerfield

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Giovanni Machad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, Steve ( or somebody whose wants to help me) :

Once more you made me see something I didn't realize yet.
Then can you answer these questions ?

1) Using a table, with the primary index 'COSTUMER_CODE', with the fields
COSTUMER_CODE, COSTUMER_NAME, COSTUMER_PHONE and COSTUMER_CONTACT. I know
how to use the Findkey metodh ( or property, I don't know ) . But, suppose I
have one secondary index file ( called INDEX ) with two order keys,
COSTUMER_CODE and COSTUMER_NAME. How do I change the order of the table ?
Somebody told me I should use table1.IndexName:='INDEX', but it doesen't
seem to work.

2) Supose I have a table with the folowing fields : Code, Name, Country,
Phone and Debit ( this last, a money type ). How do I subtotalize this
report by country ? I know I must use a Query component, but how ?

3) The first module of my application requests the user password. That
password is validated in a Table of users, wich has the acess permition os
each user ( who can do what in the system ). I would like to define some
variables in that first module and use them along the execution of the
applicattion. Just like a did in CLipper, publishing a variable and just
using it in any other module.

Best regards
Giovanni

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Liz Kimb » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

No sweat.. I still have the aspiration to be viewed such as he

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:12:52 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>Sorry Liz,
>I wanted to mail Steve, but pressed the wrong button and posted into the
>newsgroup :-}
>Ops...

>[]s
>Giovanni

>>I aspire one day to be view such as Steve

>>On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:10:06 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>>>Hi Steve.

>>>I've watching you're answers in a Delphi newsgroup and realized you know
>D4
>>>as deeply as I will never know it.

>>>Well, I'm a begginer in D4 and trying to change from my ClipperSaurus-Rex
>>>D4. But, for me, D4 have some dark points I can't understand.

>>>Is it possible I send you some of this points and you help me ?
>>>If it's not, I'll not bother you anymore, I promiss.

>>>Best regards
>>>Giovanni

>>>PS : Sorry about my terrible english, I'm Brazilian.

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Steve Koters » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:07:18 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>1) Using a table, with the primary index 'COSTUMER_CODE', with the fields
>COSTUMER_CODE, COSTUMER_NAME, COSTUMER_PHONE and COSTUMER_CONTACT. I know
>how to use the Findkey metodh ( or property, I don't know ) . But, suppose I
>have one secondary index file ( called INDEX ) with two order keys,
>COSTUMER_CODE and COSTUMER_NAME. How do I change the order of the table ?
>Somebody told me I should use table1.IndexName:='INDEX', but it doesen't
>seem to work.

In what specific way is it not working? Are you getting an error? If so,
what exception type? What error message? If not, then how is it not
working?

Which part is not working? Setting the TTable.IndexName property to the
name of the index? Or the subsequent use of an index-based search method?

What is the database type? Local or remote? Accessed through the BDE, ODBC,
a third-party replacement database engine, or ... ?

Quote:>2) Supose I have a table with the folowing fields : Code, Name, Country,
>Phone and Debit ( this last, a money type ). How do I subtotalize this
>report by country ? I know I must use a Query component, but how ?

To total the value of a column, use the SQL function SUM on that column. To
then make the totalling occur once for each logical group of rows, add a
GROUP BY clause the the SQL statement, the clause specifying the column on
which the subtotalling is to be based. The grouping column also needs to
appear in the SELECT clause of the SQL statement. For example:

  SELECT Country, SUM(Debit)
  FROM YourTable
  GROUP BY Country

Quote:>3) The first module of my application requests the user password. That
>password is validated in a Table of users, wich has the acess permition os
>each user ( who can do what in the system ). I would like to define some
>variables in that first module and use them along the execution of the
>applicattion. Just like a did in CLipper, publishing a variable and just
>using it in any other module.

To create a variable that is global to the application, add a new unit and
define all such variables in the Interface section of that unit. For
example, a global variable named GlobalVar:

  unit Unit2;

  interface

  var
    GlobalVar: Integer;

  implementation

  end.

Any other unit that then includes this unit in its Uses section will then
be able to "see" the variable, set its value, and get its value.

Steve Koterski                               "You may already be a loser."
Felton, CA                                      -- Form letter received by
                                                   Rodney Dangerfield

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Giovanni Machad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:07:18 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>>1) Using a table, with the primary index 'COSTUMER_CODE', with the fields
>>COSTUMER_CODE, COSTUMER_NAME, COSTUMER_PHONE and COSTUMER_CONTACT. I know
>>how to use the Findkey metodh ( or property, I don't know ) . But, suppose
>>have one secondary index file ( called INDEX ) with two order keys,
>>COSTUMER_CODE and COSTUMER_NAME. How do I change the order of the table ?
>>Somebody told me I should use table1.IndexName:='INDEX', but it doesen't
>>seem to work.

>In what specific way is it not working? Are you getting an error? If so,
>what exception type? What error message? If not, then how is it not
>working?

This index file INDEX has two order keys, COSTUMER_CODE and COSTUMER_NAME,
ok ? I don't know how to change that order. O posted a button in the form to
alternate that orders. I tryied to use the folowing in the event on click of
the button :

Table1.Close;

if Table1.IndexFieldNames='COSTUMER_CODE' then
   Table1.IndexFieldNames:=COSTUMER_NAME';
else
    Table1.IndexFieldNames:=COSTUMER_CODE';

Table1.Open;
Table1.Setkey;

When I click to change the order to COSTUMER_NAME occurs an error "No index
for field COSTUMER_NAME". Why do this occur, if there's an index in the file
INDEX ? This funniest about it is that : when a look the field names in the
OI, I see "COSTUMER_CODE;COSTUMER_CODE". I just don't understand !!!!  Yet
...    :-)

Quote:>What is the database type? Local or remote? Accessed through the BDE, ODBC,
>a third-party replacement database engine, or ... ?

It's a paradoxx table, using BDE...

This rest of the answer worked ok...

10x Steve

I know you wouldn't let me down...

Giovanni

You're the man, man !!!

Post by Steve Koters » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:28:27 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>>On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:07:18 -0300, "Giovanni Machado"

>>>1) Using a table, with the primary index 'COSTUMER_CODE', with the fields
>>>COSTUMER_CODE, COSTUMER_NAME, COSTUMER_PHONE and COSTUMER_CONTACT. I know
>>>how to use the Findkey metodh ( or property, I don't know ) . But, suppose
>>>have one secondary index file ( called INDEX ) with two order keys,
>>>COSTUMER_CODE and COSTUMER_NAME. How do I change the order of the table ?
>>>Somebody told me I should use table1.IndexName:='INDEX', but it doesen't
>>>seem to work.

>>In what specific way is it not working? Are you getting an error? If so,
>>what exception type? What error message? If not, then how is it not
>>working?

>This index file INDEX has two order keys, COSTUMER_CODE and COSTUMER_NAME,
>ok ? I don't know how to change that order. O posted a button in the form to
>alternate that orders. I tryied to use the folowing in the event on click of
>the button :

>Table1.Close;

>if Table1.IndexFieldNames='COSTUMER_CODE' then
>   Table1.IndexFieldNames:=COSTUMER_NAME';
>else
>    Table1.IndexFieldNames:=COSTUMER_CODE';

>Table1.Open;
>Table1.Setkey;

>When I click to change the order to COSTUMER_NAME occurs an error "No index
>for field COSTUMER_NAME". Why do this occur, if there's an index in the file
>INDEX ? This funniest about it is that : when a look the field names in the
>OI, I see "COSTUMER_CODE;COSTUMER_CODE". I just don't understand !!!!  Yet
>...    :-)

Your original question was about the TTable.IndexName property. In the
above citation, though, you indicate you are using the
TTable.IndexFieldNames property. These two properties are not the same,
serve different purposes, and IndexFieldNames is not applicable to all
database types.

Only use the IndexFieldNames property with SQL tables (InterBase, Sybase,
Oracle, etc.). For local table types (Paradox, dBASE, FoxPro), use the
IndexName properties to serve this purpose. When working with an SQL table,
you can specify a list of fields in IndexFieldNames for which there is no
index with the same fields and in the same order. The ordering of the
background SQL for the dataset is simply changed to reflect this. But the
same cannot be done with local table types. For local table types, this
ordering must be done by indexes and there _must_ be an index that matches
the list of multiple fields in the IndexFieldNames property.

In this specific case, you have an index based on the COSTUMER_CODE and
COSTUMER_NAME fields (in that order). However, you do not have one based on
the COSTUMER_NAME and COSTUMER_CODE fields (in that order). To get the
alternate ordering you desire, you would need another index, one based on
the COSTUMER_NAME and COSTUMER_CODE fields (in that order).

Steve Koterski                               "You may already be a loser."
Felton, CA                                      -- Form letter received by
                                                   Rodney Dangerfield

1. Man oh Man - Need VB Help for Using Access Databases

Anyone with coding to use Databases from Access with VB for Excel - or anyone
with a copy  of VB 5 they want to unload - please elt me know at

I am writing a company program for POS and accounting...simple item...but need
to use Access for the Databse and Storage... please help.

Craig

2. Per gli appassionati di PC

3. Poor man's event alerter

4. TimesTen -- Subdaemon Error Pls Help