Changes to Display values w/o changing database values

Changes to Display values w/o changing database values

Post by EC Drive » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a way I can perform a operation on a a display value in
a Datagrid without having it change the underlying database.  Using the
Datagrid, I am displaying data in English units (feet) and need the ability
to convert the display values to Metric (meters) without changing the
database.
  Could this be done with some kind format command or am I looking at a lot
more coding than that?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Jim in Clevelan » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know of a way I can perform a operation on a a display value in
> a Datagrid without having it change the underlying database.  Using the
> Datagrid, I am displaying data in English units (feet) and need the ability
> to convert the display values to Metric (meters) without changing the
> database.
>   Could this be done with some kind format command or am I looking at a lot
> more coding than that?

Couldn't you do this in the SQL that retrieves the recordset:

SELECT SomeField, AnotherField, (Length * 0.3048) AS MetricLength
FROM...

--
Jim in Cleveland
If you're writing to me, in my address

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?"
     - Nick Lowe

1. changing value of current record not displayed

Is there a easy way to change the  value of a field  of current record that
is not used in current form while many other fields of  the same record are
being displayed ? Let's say a table has field1, field2, field3, field4, ...
There are  three labelled fields  on the  currently opened  form  that  are
attached  to field1, field2,  and field3.  Value  of  field3  has just been
changed but not posted.  Now I  want to change the  value of field4 because
value of  field3  just change to a special value but field4 doesn't have an
object in the  form that  is  attached to  it. So  how do I change field4's
value without posting any change to the underlined table ?

2. How can I add an input mask for a field?

3. value lists and check boxes, automatically changing values

4. DAO 3.6 and FindFirst Method (Error 3251)

5. Trigger, how to change a value in record that is being inserted or changed

6. using Bound Connections

7. Check if value changed from Default value

8. ******NY/NJ-DATA MODELERS/LOGICAL/PHYSICAL-WANTED******

9. changing values to "no value"

10. running app when value changes in DataBase

11. Change values for only one record in a database

12. change value in database