HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Joshu » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:12:18

He, please help...
I create an application to access Oracle Database:
Host: MYORADB1
IP: 10.10.10.5
Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
User: myuser
Pass: mypass

I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already added to
my Service Name: SERV1,
so I create connection string:
"Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
The connection was sucess.

I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client, how to
write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and pass.

Thanks in advance.
joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Roy Fin » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:37:04

joshua

you can not do that.

for a client to access the oracle database on a remote server, that client
machine must have oracle client software installed and configured.

regards
roy fine

Quote:> He, please help...
> I create an application to access Oracle Database:
> Host: MYORADB1
> IP: 10.10.10.5
> Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
> User: myuser
> Pass: mypass

> I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already added to
> my Service Name: SERV1,
> so I create connection string:
> "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
> The connection was sucess.

> I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client, how to
> write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and pass.

> Thanks in advance.
> joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Mike Collie » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 01:18:14

It is probably too late now... if you need to connect to servers without the
client side installations, and you don't mind using client side cursor
locations, you can use remote services such as RDS which require the extra
installation on the server instead.

This is handy if you are deploying an application that needs a small
download size (or whatever your reason may be).

Hope this helps in the future.
--
Michael Collier
www.adoanywhere.com

Quote:> He, please help...
> I create an application to access Oracle Database:
> Host: MYORADB1
> IP: 10.10.10.5
> Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
> User: myuser
> Pass: mypass

> I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already added
> my Service Name: SERV1,
> so I create connection string:
> "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
> The connection was sucess.

> I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client, how
> write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and
pass.

> Thanks in advance.
> joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Joshu » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:40:18

I use string:

"Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};
Server=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =
SERV1)(PORT = 1524))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MYSID)));
UID=myuser;
PWD=mypass"

Its running (only on the server with Oracle Client installed).

If we want to DEPLOY our installation package into another who does not has
Oracle Client installet on it, How do we package the oracle client, or any
other thing to make the computer able to comunicate with Oracle Server?

thanks in adv.

reg.
josh

> It is probably too late now... if you need to connect to servers without
the
> client side installations, and you don't mind using client side cursor
> locations, you can use remote services such as RDS which require the extra
> installation on the server instead.

> This is handy if you are deploying an application that needs a small
> download size (or whatever your reason may be).

> Hope this helps in the future.
> --
> Michael Collier
> www.adoanywhere.com
> ADO Inspection Tools
> --

> > He, please help...
> > I create an application to access Oracle Database:
> > Host: MYORADB1
> > IP: 10.10.10.5
> > Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
> > User: myuser
> > Pass: mypass

> > I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already added
> > my Service Name: SERV1,
> > so I create connection string:
> > "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
> > The connection was sucess.

> > I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client,
how
> > write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and
> pass.

> > Thanks in advance.
> > joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Roy Fin » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:06:28

Joshua

you may want to consider placing all of you database access code into an ActiveX
component, and installing that client either on the database server or some
server machine that has Oracle Client software installed (i.e. Sql*Net or Net8).
Then it's a rather straight forward process to register the component during
normal application deployment.

Please note that doing such does not relax any of the Oracle Client License
requirements.

Also, you may want to consider switching to a native oledb provider.  Both
MSDAORA and OraOLEDB.Oracle are noticeably more efficient than the ODBC wrapper.

best regards,
roy fine

Quote:> He, please help...
> I create an application to access Oracle Database:
> Host: MYORADB1
> IP: 10.10.10.5
> Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
> User: myuser
> Pass: mypass

> I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already added to
> my Service Name: SERV1,
> so I create connection string:
> "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
> The connection was sucess.

> I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client, how to
> write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and pass.

> Thanks in advance.
> joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Joshu » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:39:37

Roy,

Can we do REPACKAGE the VB Application using Oracle Software Packager ?

Reg,
joshua

> Joshua

> you may want to consider placing all of you database access code into an
ActiveX
> component, and installing that client either on the database server or
some
> server machine that has Oracle Client software installed (i.e. Sql*Net or
Net8).
> Then it's a rather straight forward process to register the component
during
> normal application deployment.

> Please note that doing such does not relax any of the Oracle Client
License
> requirements.

> Also, you may want to consider switching to a native oledb provider.  Both
> MSDAORA and OraOLEDB.Oracle are noticeably more efficient than the ODBC
wrapper.

> best regards,
> roy fine

> > He, please help...
> > I create an application to access Oracle Database:
> > Host: MYORADB1
> > IP: 10.10.10.5
> > Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
> > User: myuser
> > Pass: mypass

> > I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already added
> > my Service Name: SERV1,
> > so I create connection string:
> > "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"
> > The connection was sucess.

> > I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client,
how to
> > write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and
pass.

> > Thanks in advance.
> > joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Mike Collie » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 21:19:36

Quote:> If we want to DEPLOY our installation package into another who does not
has
> Oracle Client installet on it, How do we package the oracle client

Sorry, I don't know how to include the Oracle client in a distribution disk.
I have only ever used it in-house.

Quote:>or any
> other thing to make the computer able to comunicate with Oracle Server?

The other option to client side installs is to use something like RDS. This
requires a web server installed on the network hosting Oracle. The web
server RDS service will handle calls between oracle and the remote ADO
clients. This would require you to redesign your application since ADO and
RDS force you to use Client-Side cursors and Batch-Optimistic locking, you
also lose the ADO Connection Object (and transaction method). If these
features do not suit you, then continue with your current plan of
distributing the Oracle client. If on the other hand you are using client
side cursors and batch optimistic locking, your application will be able to
use RDS. This is just another option, and I would only pursue it if
distributing the client installation was something you had to really avoid.

--
Michael Collier
www.adoanywhere.com

> I use string:

> "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};
> Server=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =
> SERV1)(PORT = 1524))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MYSID)));
> UID=myuser;
> PWD=mypass"

> Its running (only on the server with Oracle Client installed).

> If we want to DEPLOY our installation package into another who does not
has
> Oracle Client installet on it, How do we package the oracle client, or any
> other thing to make the computer able to comunicate with Oracle Server?

> thanks in adv.

> reg.
> josh

> > It is probably too late now... if you need to connect to servers without
> the
> > client side installations, and you don't mind using client side cursor
> > locations, you can use remote services such as RDS which require the
extra
> > installation on the server instead.

> > This is handy if you are deploying an application that needs a small
> > download size (or whatever your reason may be).

> > Hope this helps in the future.
> > --
> > Michael Collier
> > www.adoanywhere.com
> > ADO Inspection Tools
> > --

> > > He, please help...
> > > I create an application to access Oracle Database:
> > > Host: MYORADB1
> > > IP: 10.10.10.5
> > > Port: 1524, instead the default 1521
> > > User: myuser
> > > Pass: mypass

> > > I have Oracle Client on my PC and the server configuration already
added
> > > my Service Name: SERV1,
> > > so I create connection string:
> > > "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for

Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"

Quote:> > > The connection was sucess.

> > > I want to deploye my application to another PC without Oracle Client,
> how
> > > write the connection string, so it will describe host, port, user and
> > pass.

> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > joshua

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Joshu » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 17:00:30

Mike,

It sounds more complicated than I tought....
Do you have any idea to deploy easily to the user's PC with least user
interaction (bundling Oracle Client into the Application Package)

Thanks in advance mike...

joshua

> [...]

without
> > the
> > > client side installations, and you don't mind using client side cursor
> > > locations, you can use remote services such as RDS which require the
> extra
> > > installation on the server instead.

> > > This is handy if you are deploying an application that needs a small
> > > download size (or whatever your reason may be).

> > > Hope this helps in the future.
> > > --
> > > Michael Collier
> > > www.adoanywhere.com
> > > ADO Inspection Tools
> > > --

> added
> Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"

Client,
> > how
> > > pass.

HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

Post by Mike Collie » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 00:14:00

As I mentioned before, I don't know how to bundle the Oracle client CD into
an install package. The complex part of my answer was based on a different
method of coding so you can forget about that for now.

I try to avoid creating a single set-up that includes both my application
and database installs for various reasons.

To create a separate package for the Oracle client check the Oracle
documentation for "Redistributable" items.

--
Michael Collier
www.adoanywhere.com

> [...]

=
> > > SERV1)(PORT = 1524))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MYSID)));
> > > UID=myuser;
> > > PWD=mypass"

> > > Its running (only on the server with Oracle Client installed).

> > > If we want to DEPLOY our installation package into another who does
not
> > has
> > > Oracle Client installet on it, How do we package the oracle client, or
> any
> > > other thing to make the computer able to comunicate with Oracle
Server?

> > > thanks in adv.

> > > reg.
> > > josh

> without
> > > the
> > extra

> > added
> > Oracle};SERVER=SERV1;UID=myuser;PWD=mypass"

1. Can ADO connect to Oracle without Oracle client???

I am writing a small VB6 application that will be run on all the PCs
in our office.  All these clients will be accessing an Oracle 8i
database.  Is there anyway I can connect to an Oracle database using
ADO without having to install the Oracle client on every machine?  If
so what connection string would use need?  Installing the Oracle
client is not an option since these machines are close to their
storage capacities already.  Thanks!

Ted

2. DBPATH Parameter value

3. Connecting Oracle 8i from NT Client without ODBC

4. Execute a SQL Server 7.0 SET (T-SQL) statement

5. Oracle connection without Oracle client

6. ODBC Question

7. VB6 Oracle Connection without installing Oracle Client..

8. Can't use Insert Update Delete in User-Defined Function

9. HELP: ADO to Oracle connection without Oracle Client

10. VB6 Oracle Connection without installing Oracle Client..

11. VB 5.0 application connecting Oracle database without ODBC ?

12. How can I use oci driver on client machine without install oracle client

13. Question about using Oracle Client to connect Oracle 9i DB (window version)?Thank you