Business Rules Extraction

Post by Charle » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:28:49

I have a fairly robust appliation that I need I am contemplating rewriting
in VB 6.0.   Problem is that there is NO documentation and no one know every
thing that this system now does.

There are tools on the market that extract business rules from mainframe
legacy code, but does anyone know of a tool that will read the code and
extract business rules from VB code?

Business Rules Extraction

Post by Thierr » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:10:53

Quote:> I have a fairly robust appliation that I need I am contemplating rewriting
> in VB 6.0.   Problem is that there is NO documentation and no one know
every
> thing that this system now does.

> There are tools on the market that extract business rules from mainframe
> legacy code, but does anyone know of a tool that will read the code and
> extract business rules from VB code?

Tools to extract business rules (i.e. the meaning of the code), I guess no.
But for extracting, browsing and understanding the code's structure (in two
words, "reverse-engineering"), the only ones I know are CAST products
(http://www.castsoftware.com/) and they seem to be good as I heard (I only
had the chance to use the database-related products), although they're quite
expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thierry C.

Business Rules Extraction

Post by mark » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:39:09

> > I have a fairly robust appliation that I need I am contemplating rewriting
> > in VB 6.0.   Problem is that there is NO documentation and no one know
>  every
> > thing that this system now does.

> > There are tools on the market that extract business rules from mainframe
> > legacy code, but does anyone know of a tool that will read the code and
> > extract business rules from VB code?

> Tools to extract business rules (i.e. the meaning of the code), I guess no.
> But for extracting, browsing and understanding the code's structure (in two
> words, "reverse-engineering"), the only ones I know are CAST products
> (http://www.castsoftware.com/) and they seem to be good as I heard (I only
> had the chance to use the database-related products), although they're quite
> expensive.

> Hope this helps.

If you have the source code there are some ways of extracting variable
lists, procedure names etc that you can then use as a 'check' sheet to
see that you know what may be happening.

Quote:

> Thierry C.

1. COBOL BUSINESS RULE EXTRACTION TOOL

in the process of converting COBOL  main frame systems to client/server
platforms.  we have found a tool that extracts business rules ( the knowledge
and expertise imbedded in COBOL programs.)

The tool is call CODE PROSPECTOR.

CODE PROSPECTOR runs in windows on any windows based pc.  Source code
 files are downloaded to your pc where CODE PROSPECTOR can access them.

CODE PROSPECTOR  can extract business rules from COBOL/CICS/TELON source
programs.

CODE PROSPECTOR can create a business rule databases  which can
be imported into POWERBUILDER or VISUAL BASIC.

We found CODE PROSPECTOR to be an excellent tool for redeveloping
main frame systems to client/server technology.

CODE PROSPECTOR  has saved us an enourmous amount of time which would have
been required to extract the business rules manually.

If  you think this product can help you out, give the vendor a call

at  507-645-9325

or  write

FARPOINT SYSTEMS, INC.
1815 Buchanan CT. Suite 1
Northfield, Mn.  55057

2. rst.Open "SELECT" vs "EXEC proc"

3. How do I enforce this business rule?

4. charindex

5. Business Rules in stored procedures

6. Macintosh client for SQL 7

7. Best tool for Business Rules Server

8. Modify an Item in a Synchronous event sink?

9. Business rules/Constraints firinng sequence

10. Business Rules Repository

11. data checks on business rules

12. Business rules and Triggers

13. Defining dynamic sets of business rules