Are Oracle thin JDBC drivers 100% Java?

Post by Mike DiChiappa » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Is there anything about the Oracle JDBC drivers that makes them platform
specific?  The Oracle web site implies this is so.  When downloading the
thin drivers, they offer Solaris and Windows versions!  Why wouldn't one
driver work on all platforms?

Mike DiChiappari

Post by Bradley G. Smit » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

:>Is there anything about the Oracle JDBC drivers that makes them platform
:>specific?  The Oracle web site implies this is so.  When downloading the
:>thin drivers, they offer Solaris and Windows versions!  Why wouldn't one
:>driver work on all platforms?

   They do work on all platforms or at least OS/2 and AIX. The
Windows version is zipped, the Solaris version is a tar. And they
work in applications too, not just applets as implied by the web
text.

Brad

Bradley G. Smith
US Forest Service

Are Oracle thin JDBC drivers 100% Java?

Post by Steve Phela » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Mike,

I *think*:

1. Oracle has only *tested* them on the platforms it lists. This may have
*support* issues. This still doesn't mean the drivers won't *work* on other
OS's.

2. The drivers are 'bundled' in platform specific versions, so you can't
just download the 'pure java' driver on it's own, you also get an ODBC or
Native driver version bundled in. Of course, you just ignore the drivers you
don't want and pull out the pure java (thin) client only (that's what I
did).

Steve Phelan.

>Is there anything about the Oracle JDBC drivers that makes them platform
>specific?  The Oracle web site implies this is so.  When downloading the
>thin drivers, they offer Solaris and Windows versions!  Why wouldn't one
>driver work on all platforms?

>Mike DiChiappari

Are Oracle thin JDBC drivers 100% Java?

Post by tod » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm using the Oracle Thin JDBC drivers in a java servlet
running on Linux (Redhat 4.2).  So I'm pretty sure that
there is nothing platform specific in it.
Todd

: Is there anything about the Oracle JDBC drivers that makes them platform
: specific?  The Oracle web site implies this is so.  When downloading the
: thin drivers, they offer Solaris and Windows versions!  Why wouldn't one
: driver work on all platforms?

: Mike DiChiappari

Are Oracle thin JDBC drivers 100% Java?

Post by Craig R. McClanaha » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

The "Solaris" versus "Windows" versioning of the thin driver only deals with
the way that the release is packaged (compressed TAR versus ZIP) -- the code
of the thin driver classes is indeed the same code in both downloads.

If you use the OCI-based drivers, then of course you do have platform
dependencies because of the underlying native code libraries that are
required.

> I'm using the Oracle Thin JDBC drivers in a java servlet
> running on Linux (Redhat 4.2).  So I'm pretty sure that
> there is nothing platform specific in it.
> Todd

> : Is there anything about the Oracle JDBC drivers that makes them platform
> : specific?  The Oracle web site implies this is so.  When downloading the
> : thin drivers, they offer Solaris and Windows versions!  Why wouldn't one
> : driver work on all platforms?

> : Mike DiChiappari

1. 100% Pure Java JDBC Driver for SOLID Server

Solid Information Technology has been awarded 100% Pure Java
Certification for its JDBC driver. SOLID JDBC Driver has been
tested excessively since June; the general availability date
is October 1, 1997.

SOLID JDBC Driver is a native protocol all Java driver
(type 4) that enables connections to SOLID Server without
third party or platform dependent middle ware. The driver has
been praised for its performance and compactness - 47 kB in
size, the driver is fast to download dynamically and suitable
for true internet applications.

Find out more about SOLID JDBC Driver at:
http://www.solidtech.com/market/products/jdbc/index.htm
 and more about SOLID Server at:
http://www.solidtech.com

Solid Information Technology Ltd

Iko Rein

---------------------------------
Iko Rein
Solid Information Technology LTD
http://www.solidtech.com

2. Assert Failed

3. 100% pure Java JDBC driver for DBase files

4. reply

5. 100% Pure Java JDBC Driver for SOLID Server

6. How to move at DTS Package to another server.

7. Problem with Oracles thin JDBC Drivers - 2files.java (0/1)

8. opening dlgbox at the right record

9. Problem with Oracle thin JDBC Drivers - 2files.java (0/1)

10. Java - JDBC Oracle Thin Driver problems

11. Oracle jdbc thin driver bug in java.

12. Oracle JDBC Thin Applet + MS IE: SecurityException accessing jdbc.drivers system property

13. difference between jdbc thin and jdbc odbc driver behavior under Oracle 7.3