Post by Guillermo Gómez Valcárce » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Environment: VC++ 6.0, NT 4.0

I try to develop with CDaoDatabase the next situation:
I'm developing an application with Visual C++ 6.0 that has to load thousands
(even more than 100000) of rows from a text file (one row per line, with a
delimiter-character between fields), and add them to an existing .mdb access
database. The main problem is the time because my ODBC version of
application use 40 hours to load the database. If you read one record at a
time from the text file, and add it to the database, then no matter what
technology you're using: it's too slow. I found a Visual Basic instruction
that makes what I want: "TransferText", but there's nothing like that in
DAO, OLE DB nor ADO. So, I guess I've got to simulate it.

    The faster results I've obtained were with CDAODatabase objects, but I
still had to incorporate record-by-record in my database. Is there any way
to load many records at a time? It doesn't matter if I add records
one-by-one, but I want them to be written to disk in blocks.

    I need something like the BCP (Bulk Copy Program) utility of SQLServer
but for Microsoft Access
Any sugestions?
Thanks in advance.

1. Creating a Database using scripts, and loading initial data from text files

Creating a Database using scripts, and loading initial data from text files:
I would like to know the correct/easier/automatic way of doing the
following:

1. I want to create a new database from the scripts generated from an
existing database.
2. I want to import/load data into some of these tables from text files.

My method is this:
1. Create a new database using Enterprise Mgr.
2. Open the script file in SQL Query Analyzer and run it to create tables,
triggers, etc.
3. Open the DTS Wizard from Enterprise Mgr to import data from text files.

Is there a better and efficient way of doing this?
Thanks!

2. OO4O

3. How to load data from .mdb(Access)

4. Disk Uitilisation

5. SQL Newbie - Problems with loading data from access to sql database

6. [Java]

7. How to import a tab delimited text file into my Access MDB

8. ODBC through frame-relay

9. How can i access the data from the text file in Databases format with log extension

10. using Java to transfer data from a text file into an Access database

11. Merging Text File (csv) into existing Database (mdb)

12. times problem between asp+access mdb

13. time problem between asp+access mdb