Help: copy memo field from one table to another field

Post by Chuck Hal » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I want to copy memo field from tableA to memo field tableB. But the
> field name of source memo field is determined at runtime. So I use
> "FieldByName(variable).asstring" to get the value in that memo field.
> ('variable' is determined as runtime). However I don't how to copy
> that memo field data to another table.

> Showing "TableA.FieldByName(variable).asstring" gives me "(memo)",
> rather than the content. Besides, the following coding fails at
> runtime:
>         "TableB.FieldByName('Memo').asstring := ...."
> Besides, "Assign" method of "TField" require parameter type of a
> "TPersistent" object !? (from online help: procedure Assign(Source:
> TPersistent);)

> Would anyone help me? Please email me some advice. Thanks in advance.

> Regards,
> Mephist

Mephist:
Use two dbmemo components - they could be hidden (visible=false), if
desired.
     DBmemo2.Lines.Assign(DBmemo1.lines);

You MAY even be able to set the new field directly equal to the existing
one (i.e., without ".asstring"):

TableB.FieldByName('Memo'):=TableA.FieldByName(memoname);

1. Copying logical fields to a memo field in one database

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this.

I have a table with numerous logical fields and a couple of memo fields. What
I'd like to do is this:

When someone enters a false logical in a field, that field name will be added
to one of the memo fields.

I've got a form for users to enter the data, so I'm thinking that that can be
designed to do the job, but I'm not sure exactly how. I am a OPAL beginner, but
don't let that scare you away from suggesting code.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Anything will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Parameter in a TSQL view

3. Help Help Need to copy a field from one table into another table

4. does bcp handle large files (over 2 gig)?

5. insert data from one field in one table to another field in another table

6. problem with mdac and W2k

7. Copy data from string field to memo field

8. Setup

9. merge alpha field into one memo field

10. What is the syntax for copy a memo to a database memo field

11. how to copy a db to another db table by table and field by field

12. Script and Copy from one field to another field (Same database, different layout)

13. ### COPYING A MEMO FIELD BETWEEN TABLES