IDAPI config at runtime

Post by Brad Stevenso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I'm quite new at using Delphi, so pleae bear with me if this seems like a
silly question.

Here's the scenario: I'm using Delphi (16 bit) to connect to MS Access
databases.
Currently to connect to a database I have to use the MS ODBC manager to
create a driver and then use the BDE configuration utility to modify the
IDAPI so I can 'see' this data source from within Delphi at design time.

We would like to start distributing this application to our customers, but
don't want them to have to go through all of this trouble. Is there any way
to allow users to select the *.mdb file they would like to open (at
run-time). ie: is there any api to the BDE configuration utility so I can
create ODBC drivers 'on the fly'?

Thanks,

Brad.

IDAPI config at runtime

Post by KT95 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The 16bit odbc connection information is kept in the c:\windows\odbc.ini

User selects the MDB file, then you programmatically change the [?????]
section of the ini (keyword DATABASE) to the mdb
--
Remove NOSPAM. from email

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm quite new at using Delphi, so pleae bear with me if this seems like a
> silly question.

> Here's the scenario: I'm using Delphi (16 bit) to connect to MS Access
> databases.
> Currently to connect to a database I have to use the MS ODBC manager to
> create a driver and then use the BDE configuration utility to modify the
> IDAPI so I can 'see' this data source from within Delphi at design time.

> We would like to start distributing this application to our customers,
but
> don't want them to have to go through all of this trouble. Is there any
way
> to allow users to select the *.mdb file they would like to open (at
> run-time). ie: is there any api to the BDE configuration utility so I can
> create ODBC drivers 'on the fly'?

> Thanks,

> Brad.

1. BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS

Following is the test query

tableName | field Name             |
          | CHECK as TO someName   |

Start your Paradox for Windows. Choose Help|About. Press I. Internal
build will be displayed. Then there will be words "lego:" followed
by a date. If that date is from 1994, you are OK. But if you installed
Delphi or latest release of Novel Office or Quatro Pro, that date
might be from 1995. That's the version of IDAPI the BUG is in. Here
is how it goes...

In above query we have used word "TO". It is not a key word. I called
Borland's Tech Support line paying $2/min and they confirmed it's not.

Above query works fine. But if your "lego" date (i.e. IDAPI build) meets
above criteria, you will get an error message saying "AS must be followed
by a name of field in the ANSWER table". Whether you some thing after
TO or not, DOES NOT MATTER.

Called Borland many times about it but the guys there wouldn't believe
me as it works on any copy of Paradox. Finally I asked them to try it
on a machine which had DELPHI installed on it after Paradox and thus
had a "lego:" date of Feb/95. It was confirmed and registered.

regards,
--nasir

2. Can a stored procedures result set be used as a derived table?

3. IDAPI Config Problem

4. Trouble connectin to DB from executable

5. Why does my IDAPI config keep changing??

6. DTS Designer question

7. Need IDAPI config help

8. Where to Get Paradox Training???

9. IDAPI Config with Paradox 5 & WFW311

10. Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

11. pgsql/config config.guess config.sub

12. IDAPI and RUNTIME problems

13. Setting just the Server Property in the BDE Config file at runtime