URGENT! VB6, ADO deployment

Post by Ian Wriggleswort » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm getting fairly desperate with the following problem and wondered if
anyone had any suggestions :-

I have a VB6 app which is working on a test server which is running SQL6.5
(sp4) and NT4(sp4). The program uses ADO 2 and everything works fine.

I then moved my app to the live client machines and server but got error
about Object could not be found (tablename) when trying to retreive the
first result set from the server. I then re-pointed the live client machines
back to the test server and everything worked fine.

I've checked the the same software and Service Packs are loaded on the Live
server and someone suggested that I should load the ADO 2 software which I
did with no changes.

Other ODBC applications can run against the live server so its not the link
between client and server. As it works against the Test server I suspect
that something is either not running or missing from the Live Server.

All the documentation I read from Microsoft makes no mention of what exactly
needs to be running on the SQL Server box. Does any one have any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian.

URGENT! VB6, ADO deployment

Post by jomo » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I'm getting fairly desperate with the following problem and wondered
if
>anyone had any suggestions :-

>I have a VB6 app which is working on a test server which is running
SQL6.5
>(sp4) and NT4(sp4). The program uses ADO 2 and everything works fine.

>I then moved my app to the live client machines and server but got
error
>about Object could not be found (tablename) when trying to retreive

the

I've seen similar problems with SQL Server many times over the years.
Usually it is caused by something in the server setup, i.e. with
permissions, code pages, or the like.  I've also seen problems caused
when ISQL was used to run create table scripts, and missing or
incorrect characters such as parentheses or spaces in the wrong places
were not flagged by sql server, and the table was created.  SQL Server
was able to use the table, but Access couldn't see it when trying to
attach to it.  There are a lot of quirky little problems like that
with 6.5.  Another one I ran into occured when using BCP.  A client
used BCP to dump huge tables from a 3090 into SQL server tables.  BCP
in 6.5 has a bug in it that causes it to ignore field widths.  It
would put 40 character char strings into 30 character fields.  Even
worse, SQL server (or rather, ISQL) would display the entire 40
characters.  But if you tried to retrieve the field as an attached
table from Access, you'd get a page fault every time.

I love Microsoft.

NOT !!

jdm

1. Problem in deployment of VB6 prog using ADO

I am trying to deploy a program which utilies ADO, using VB6
Professional.

When running setup on another computer the following error messages come
up:

   Unable to load file c:\program files\common files\system\OLE
DB\msdado.dll to register it

followed by:

    Unable to register library c:\program files\common files\system\OLE
DB\msdado.dll. The operation is
completed successfully.

When running the program and trying to access the database, the
following error occurs:

    Runtime error "429"
    ActiveX component can't create object

Has anyone got any ideas about why this is happening. I would really
appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

John Clamp

2. DTS and Remote/Linked Servers

3. Deployment of Ado based Vb6 Application

4. Is the 7.00.623 the latest release of SQL 7 ? Is that the comercial version ???

5. VB6 / ADO Deployment

6. Creating a fixed length record in Progress v7.3

7. Deployment of a VB6 program using ADO

8. HELP: Error message 0706-729: libmenu.a not a XCOFF object.

9. Urgent !!!! Help with VB6/ADO

10. Urgent : VB6 ADO Connecting to SQL 6.5

11. Urgent: Update Oracle disconnected recordset using ADO 2.6 and VB6

12. ADO VB6 PROBLEM URGENT

13. VB6 Setup and Deployment