Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

Post by Rob McGillivra » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi there!

Since most database vendors these days are providing high-performance 16
& 32-bit drivers with rich functionality with their offerings (we've
researched Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, DB2, Interbase amongst
others...), we decided that we would develop a set of objects and
components which enable Delphi developers to access the full power of
ODBC without having to go through the BDE.

Basically, why use the BDE for generic database access when ODBC
provides the same thing.  Sure, Borland has written the BDE into their
data-aware controls - but we have done a similar thing with ODBC.

During this ODBC development/testing, we've found some interesting
things: ODBC drivers (the more recent ones, that is) are only around
7-10% slower than their native counterparts, ie. should SQL Server
DB-LIB take 1sec to process a request, it's ODBC counterpart would take
about 1.1sec.

However, we found that accessing a database using ODBC through another
driver interface (Borland's BDE and VB's JET come to mind...) proved
substantially slower.  Results were a bit erratic, but often more than
2-12 times slower than native access to the database.

Other benefits of our route include:

        Not having to depend on Borland for broad database support via
        SQL Links (and pay the associated price!)

        Not having to rely on Borland to release timeous SQL Links
        updates when new versions of your database become available

        Not having to guess whether errant database problems are caused
        by the BDE, the SQL Links driver, the ODBC driver, or a
        combination of these

        Not having to learn two interfaces (ie. BDE calls & ODBC calls),
        especially when most of your work is ODBC related

        Not having to just guess how the BDE implements ODBC
        driver-specific behaviour when things don't seem to work
        correctly

        Having full control over the power of ODBC

Although we have developed the software for our own use, we are
considering making a commercial version of our ODBC driver library
available.  Currently, we support ODBC v2.5 with support for v3.0 due
within a couple of weeks.

Is anyone out there interested in such a thing???

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rob
--

Rob McGillivray
Manager, Client/Server Software Development

Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

Post by Peter Antypa » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

If you package it in the form of components like for example
TOdbcDatabase, TOdbcTable, TOdbcQuery that emulate the same functionality
as the Borland equivalents and can work with the TDatasource components
etc, then there is good potential.

As long as they are royalty free and much cheaper than SQL Links ($1000
for unlimited distribution) I would be interested in them, seriously.

Peter Antypas

Post by Jonathan R. Tayl » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>If you package it in the form of components like for example
>TOdbcDatabase, TOdbcTable, TOdbcQuery that emulate the same functionality
>as the Borland equivalents and can work with the TDatasource components
>etc, then there is good potential.

I'd agree.  As long as you have replacement components, so I can just swictch
my existing apps over with little->no source changes, I'd be very interested.

-jonathan r. taylor
-cto, irdg, inc.
-http://www.irdg.com

Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

Post by Johannes Mittermeie » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I would be interested as well, provided that the package will be
available for a reasonable price.

The opinion quoted above never was, is not nor will it ever be
the opinion of my company!
Johannes Mittermeier       Center for Solar Energy and Hydrogen Research
                           Division 3: Energy Storage and Conversion

                           Helmholtzstr. 8, D-89081 Ulm, Germany

9530-666

Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

Post by Kyle Cord » Mon, 22 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Since most database vendors these days are providing high-performance 16
>& 32-bit drivers with rich functionality with their offerings (we've
>researched Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, DB2, Interbase amongst
>others...), we decided that we would develop a set of objects and
>components which enable Delphi developers to access the full power of
>ODBC without having to go through the BDE.

I have seen such product already available for download on CompuServe.  I
haven't tried anything like this yet, but it seems like a good idea.  The
question is, how well do they integrate with Delphi's database controls?

-Kyle

Post by Nathan Stiltne » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hi there!

>Since most database vendors these days are providing high-performance 16
>& 32-bit drivers with rich functionality with their offerings (we've
>researched Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, DB2, Interbase amongst
>others...), we decided that we would develop a set of objects and
>components which enable Delphi developers to access the full power of
>ODBC without having to go through the BDE.

>Basically, why use the BDE for generic database access when ODBC
>provides the same thing.  Sure, Borland has written the BDE into their
>data-aware controls - but we have done a similar thing with ODBC.

>During this ODBC development/testing, we've found some interesting
>things: ODBC drivers (the more recent ones, that is) are only around
>7-10% slower than their native counterparts, ie. should SQL Server
>DB-LIB take 1sec to process a request, it's ODBC counterpart would take
>about 1.1sec.

>However, we found that accessing a database using ODBC through another
>driver interface (Borland's BDE and VB's JET come to mind...) proved
>substantially slower.  Results were a bit erratic, but often more than
>2-12 times slower than native access to the database.

>Other benefits of our route include:

>        Not having to depend on Borland for broad database support via
>        SQL Links (and pay the associated price!)

>        Not having to rely on Borland to release timeous SQL Links
>        updates when new versions of your database become available

>        Not having to guess whether errant database problems are caused
>        by the BDE, the SQL Links driver, the ODBC driver, or a
>        combination of these

>        Not having to learn two interfaces (ie. BDE calls & ODBC calls),
>        especially when most of your work is ODBC related

>        Not having to just guess how the BDE implements ODBC
>        driver-specific behaviour when things don't seem to work
>        correctly

>        Having full control over the power of ODBC

>Although we have developed the software for our own use, we are
>considering making a commercial version of our ODBC driver library
>available.  Currently, we support ODBC v2.5 with support for v3.0 due
>within a couple of weeks.

>Is anyone out there interested in such a thing???

>Any feedback would be appreciated.

>Regards,

>Rob
>--

>Rob McGillivray
>Manager, Client/Server Software Development
>Compustat - 'Voted Top Development House in South Africa 1994'

I would be interested as well.  I'm developing a SMALL application and I
don't want to have to devote 2 disk worth of stuff just for the BDE as
well as have the user go thru their setup.

Nathan Stiltner

Post by Brad Ai » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>Since most database vendors these days are providing high-performance 16
>>& 32-bit drivers with rich functionality with their offerings (we've
>>researched Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, DB2, Interbase amongst
>>others...), we decided that we would develop a set of objects and
>>components which enable Delphi developers to access the full power of
>>ODBC without having to go through the BDE.

>I have seen such product already available for download on CompuServe.  I
>haven't tried anything like this yet, but it seems like a good idea.  The
>question is, how well do they integrate with Delphi's database controls?

This would be the Guernsey package, also referenced on the Delphi
Superpage. I've downloaded it, but not tried it yet. Note that they supply
their own DB controls, so I doubt their engine works with the existing
controls.

From what I have seen, the entire Delphi DB system is all interlinked --
all the pieces end up with hard coded references within them to
other components in the hierarchy, such that you can only work within the
system if you inherit from the Borland types. If you look at the code, it
is vast, what with the Session objects and Database objects etc. It would
seem, you have to completely follow that model, which is a shame, if all
you want is to talk to a specific simple database.

--

Senior Software Designer
Business Machine Interfaces, Inc.

Doing ODBC without BDE: Anyone Interested???

Post by Alexander N. Nickolsk » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>   If you package it in the form of components like for example
>   TOdbcDatabase, TOdbcTable, TOdbcQuery that emulate the same functionality
>   as the Borland equivalents and can work with the TDatasource components
>   etc, then there is good potential.

As for me, it will be better if you redesign all TDB... components in
'inheritance-compatible' form, i.e. so, that all their derivatives will
work OK, then I have no need in compatible Table, Query and Database
components. The reason is that Borland's data components are designed
very ugly, because all database-related features are made private.
So, if I want to change just something in component's internal
behaviour, I need to inherit ALL those fields and procedures. However,
if they were protected, I could only change what I really need.

Alexander

1. Anyone interested in doing marketing?

We are currently seeking individuals to market our Pick-based Dealer
Management System for the Powersports Industry (Mcyl, Jet ski, ATV,
power products, lawn mowers, etc). Commission only with the proven
ability to earn 60k/year or more part-time.

Reps needed for NE USA, Central USA (northern area), and Canada.

Please contact me if email with you experience in marketing/sales. This
may be done part-time.

Richard Kann
Comp-Ware Systems, Inc.

2. Sybase and Smalltalk

3. D3/BDE multi-threaded apps : Anyone done it ?

4. DTS Error !

5. Anyone interested in an alternative to JDBC-ODBC?

6. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresq ...

7. ODBC+Drivers distribution - anyone done it?

8. Logs on FAT vs NTFS??

9. Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

10. ODBC using PDOX data: anyone done it?

11. Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

12. ODBC+Drivers distribution - anyone done it?

13. Access files without ODBC or BDE