Software AG ADABAS SQL Server and ODBC with Delphi

Software AG ADABAS SQL Server and ODBC with Delphi

Post by J.P.McCrees » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

We're testing the Software AG ADABAS C SQL Server 1.3.1 on Open VMS/VAX
as a server for ADABAS ODBC 1.1.2 clients on PCs. The PCs are running
Paradox for Windows and Borland Delphi applications. We have experience
of talking to an Oracle/Rdb server on the VAX which works fine, and are
evaluating ADABAS as an alternative.

Has anyone out there used Delphi clients against an ADABAS SQL server?

Thanks - John
+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

Forbo-Lancaster Ltd.| X.400: c=GB,a=CWMAIL,p=FORBO,s=McCreesh
Lancaster, England  | Voice: +44 (0)1524 65222 Fax: +44 (0)1524 61638

Post by David Martin » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>We're testing the Software AG ADABAS C SQL Server 1.3.1 on Open VMS/VAX
>as a server for ADABAS ODBC 1.1.2 clients on PCs. The PCs are running
>Paradox for Windows and Borland Delphi applications. We have experience
>of talking to an Oracle/Rdb server on the VAX which works fine, and are
>evaluating ADABAS as an alternative.
>Has anyone out there used Delphi clients against an ADABAS SQL server?

I have. I tried recently while evaluating ADABAS D Personal Edition.
Really easy, too - All I did was set up the ODBC driver and go. Be
careful with the language translation table, though. I used the demo
databases only to find out the accented characters wouldn't display
correctly. I later found out that you have to use the 'WEurope' ANSI
to be able to use them correctly (at least that is the case with the
demo database).

The only table I couldn't connect was the 'Photos' table, but I really
didn't try hard enough.

There is not much to it - you need to set up your ODBC driver and data
source (comes with adabas), and then go to the BDE config to add the
odbc driver, and create the alias. The speed is not too bad either -
if you compare it to Oracle or Sybase.

Hope this helps,

David Martinez
Fireside Thrift

1. Need info on ADABAS by Software AG

I'm evaluating a number of databases and am considering ADABAS by
Software AG.  This database would have to support a high volume of
transactions, 50+ concurrent users and 10+ gigabytes of data.

If anyone can direct me to evaluations and/or benchmark data on this
product, I'd appreciate it.  If you have used this product, I'd like
to hear your impressions about ADABAS.

Thanks in advance.
*

*

2. NewEra: this report don't work. What's wrong?

3. Software AG: Adabas & Natural

4. Q: CTree references needed?

5. OH-COLUMBUS-117205--Adabas-COBOL-MS SQL Server-ORACLE-ADABAS/Natural Developer

6. Passing Parameters To ACCESS query

7. Information / Opinions re: Software AG products

8. excuse my disturbe, this test e-mail.

9. SOFTWARE AG - Natural Transfer Utility

10. Press: Speedware Acquires Software AG's ESPERANT

11. SOFTWARE AG

12. Information RE: Software AG?

13. Information / Opinions re: Software AG products