VB4 Visigenic 32Bit ODBC driver connecting to Oracle 7

VB4 Visigenic 32Bit ODBC driver connecting to Oracle 7

Post by Jim Wabl » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Here is my configuration:

Windows 95, Visual Basic 4.0 Professional Edition, SQL*NET 1.1, ORACLE7
TCP/IP

I would like to connect to an Oracle 7 database using VB4 and the
Visigenic 32bit ODBC driver.

Question 1:  Is it possible?
Microsoft TechSupport says that Oracle has not released the required
files?

Question 2:  What IS required?
Is a certain rev of SQL*NET required?
Is a certain rev of Support files required?

Visigenic faxed me a 4 page document on how to get it working.
It required using REGEDIT to make changes!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim Wable.

VB4 Visigenic 32Bit ODBC driver connecting to Oracle 7

Post by Phil Peruc » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Here is my configuration:

>Windows 95, Visual Basic 4.0 Professional Edition, SQL*NET 1.1, ORACLE7
>TCP/IP

>I would like to connect to an Oracle 7 database using VB4 and the
>Visigenic 32bit ODBC driver.

>Question 1:  Is it possible?
>Microsoft TechSupport says that Oracle has not released the required
>files?

Hmmmm - SO helpful, those MS folks....

Quote:

>Question 2:  What IS required?
>Is a certain rev of SQL*NET required?
>Is a certain rev of Support files required?

>Visigenic faxed me a 4 page document on how to get it working.
>It required using REGEDIT to make changes!!!

Someone posted a fix on the comp.*.oracle newsgroup a couple times -
I just saw it again yesterday.  HEY WAIT... I got it...
Here is his posting:

------------------- Begin ------------------

I think he's referring to my post.  Here's the gist of it:

First, I'll assume that you have installed some sort of SQL*Net under
Windows 95. I have SQL*Net 1.x installed. I have not tried this solution
with SQL*Net 2.x but I received email from someone that did try and said
it will _not_ work...

The docs that come with VB 4.0 state that the Visigenic driver will be
installed if 3 DLLs are present on the system:

    ORANT71.DLL
    SQLNTTT.DLL
    CORENT23.DLL

I put those on the Windows 95 machine, but that just let me install the
driver -- it still did not work, though.  Then I discovered that when the
driver loads on NT, it also loads a DLL named SQLTCPNT.DLL.  The whole
problem with the Visigenic driver is that it wants a 32-bit implementation
of SQL*Net.  It seems that the SQLTCPNT.DLL file _is_ the 32-bit SQL*Net
driver.  I copied that file over to my Windows 95 machine and now it works
just fine.

Gary

--------------------
Gary Weinstein

--------------------- end ----------------------

 "Visit the Hydrologic Information Center at http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/~hic"

1. Visigenic ODBC 32bit driver

I am getting the following message when installing Visigenic's ODBC
driver for Oracle. "The setup routines for the Visigenic Oracle7 ODBC
driver could not be loaded.  You may be low on memory and need to quit a
few applications".  Does anybody know what is wrong?  I am running this
on a Windows 95 machine where SQL*Net is installed on a networked
drive.  Thanks in advance,

-Greg

2. SQL 7.0 Sort Order

3. Problem using VB 4.0, RDO 1.0b, Visigenic 32bit ODBC and ORacle 7.2

4. I need install-help file for Oracle web application server 3.0 for NT .

5. ODBC Connect to ORacle 7.1 with VB4.0 (32bit)

6. Bug #712: Documentation Section 3.4 Binary

7. Visigenic's ODBC driver question (VB4.0)

8. ADO could not find specified provider - missing a dll?

9. Connecting to Oracle via Oracle ODBC driver from VB4

10. visigenic ODBC driver error for Oracle ?

11. ODBC to Oracle via supplied Visigenic drivers

12. Problems with Visigenic Oracle ODBC driver?

13. VB4-32bit/Win95 Oracle ODBC problems.