Should I migrate to RDO?

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Randy Gritto » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00



I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
within.

My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?  

Any insight will be appreciated.

Randy Gritton

 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Deborah Kurat » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00


If you are thinking of migrating, think about ADO. It has a great object
model and will work against either Access or SQL Server, so you would be
ready should anything change.

good luck!
Deborah Kurata
InStep Consulting Group
InStep Technologies, Inc.
www.insteptech.com


>I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
>database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
>of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
>etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
>within.

>My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
>this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
>JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

>Any insight will be appreciated.

>Randy Gritton



 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Simon Jone » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00


RDO is NOT designed for use with Access MDB files. Some features don't work
and performance is slow.

Stick to using DAO/Jet with MDB files.

ADO is still in its infancy. The next release of Access/SQL Server 7 will
make ADO much more viable.

Regards,
Simon Jones
PC Pro Magazine

 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Craig Somber » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I would stay with DAO as it will not see any performance gains going to
RDO.

When you have a client that wants to migrate up or you feel daring, I would
move all the way up to ADO.

Just my humble opinion .....

What do I know ? .... :>

Craig

 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Asim » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00



> If you are thinking of migrating, think about ADO. It has a great object
> model and will work against either Access or SQL Server, so you would be
> ready should anything change.

> good luck!
> Deborah Kurata
> InStep Consulting Group
> InStep Technologies, Inc.

I have VB5 Prof. Version -- Can I use ADO !!????

TIA

-asim

> www.insteptech.com


> >I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
> >database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
> >of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
> >etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
> >within.

> >My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
> >this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
> >JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

> >Any insight will be appreciated.

> >Randy Gritton


 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by POST CM » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00


If you are using an Access Backend stick with DAO but if you do have a
client/server setup ie: SQL6.5 I would move to RDO or as in the other response
ADO.  RDO may look like it is not doing much better to most people becuase they
do not know how to set up the right cursors.  Read the article "Cursors Foiled
Again" in the Fall 1997 Vol7 No.11 Special Issue of Visual Basic Programmers
Journal.  You should find the information at http://www.windx.com if you do not
get the magazine.  If you do VB work it is a good mag to get.

-Clint in Arlington

 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Niels Berglun » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Yes you can!

Download the mdac.exe from MS universal dataaccess site
(www.microsoft.com/data) and off you go!!

Later...

Niels



>> If you are thinking of migrating, think about ADO. It has a great object
>> model and will work against either Access or SQL Server, so you would be
>> ready should anything change.

>> good luck!
>> Deborah Kurata
>> InStep Consulting Group
>> InStep Technologies, Inc.
>I have VB5 Prof. Version -- Can I use ADO !!????

>TIA

>-asim

>> www.insteptech.com


>> >I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
>> >database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
>> >of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
>> >etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
>> >within.

>> >My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
>> >this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
>> >JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

>> >Any insight will be appreciated.

>> >Randy Gritton


 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Jarrod Robers » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00



says...

> I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
> database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
> of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
> etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
> within.

> My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
> this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
> JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?  

> Any insight will be appreciated.

> Randy Gritton


ADO is definitely the way to go!
MS will be actively phasing out DAO and RDO once ADO has
Events. They are actively pushing ADO now and stated that
ADO and OLEDB are THE technologies they will be supporting.
Don't expect many more, if any updates to DAO/RDO . . .

I have been using ADO in Enterprise scale apps since it was released.
It has a couple of holes but they are closing fast.
All our work is strictly ADO now.
--
jarrodr (at) province (dot) com

 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Joe Garric » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00


My two cents worth:

RDO is for server databases - don't bother if you only use Access. DAO is
the "old guard" for access to Jet databases. Both are relatively mature and
stable.

ADO is the "new kid on the block". If you're building new code, it's
probably worth a look. Personally, I tend to shy away from stuff this new
for large scale applications until the technology has been around for a
couple of revs in order to avoid getting hooked into the "D.O. of the Month
Club."

Case in Point:
In the VB3 days, if you wanted e-mail in your apps, you either coded the
MAPI APIs or used the MAPIMessage and MAPISession controls. Around the
release of VB4, we got "OLE Messaging", with "ActiveX Messaging" following
close on it's heels. Now we have "Collaboration Data Objects" or something.
That's a rate of about a major rev per year.

Now, any of these approaches will probably do an equally decent job of
sending a message or an attached file. For my money, I wish MS would just
settle down a bit and give me some type of messaging interface that has a
longer lifespan than my next development schedule. It's great that CDO can
now brew my morning coffee, but will it still exist at the end of the month?

The Technology of the Month Club Syndrome isn't isolated to messaging
either. How many revs per year have we had of Internet Explorer and Internet
Information Server? I'd like to see whatever's available now have something
more than a three or four month lifespan before I start writing code against
it.

Staying on the cutting edge is fine, so long as you can keep yourself off of
the bleeding edge.

     Joe


http://computingcentral.msn.com/forums/softwaredevelopment/
http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick/vbasic/


>I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
>database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
>of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
>etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
>within.

>My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
>this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
>JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

>Any insight will be appreciated.

>Randy Gritton


 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by Randy Gritto » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Thanks for the input.  I concur that the apparent lifespan of
technologies
makes staying on the cutting edge nigh on impossible unless you do
nothing
but develop software and have access to all/most of these tools and
tech-
nologies early on.

I would like to have more time and money (and disk space) to deal with a
lot
of new stuff.  But since I do this more (or less?) as a sidelight I tend
to
deal with things that I can find decent documentation on.  Can anyone
point
me to a good book on ADO (besides the MS ADO web pages).  I would like
to
see something that deals with its use apart from just web applications
-- that
is all neat and stuff but not all of us develop on/for/with SQL Server,
network servers, web servers, etc.

Randy Gritton


> My two cents worth:

> RDO is for server databases - don't bother if you only use Access. DAO is
> the "old guard" for access to Jet databases. Both are relatively mature and
> stable.

> ADO is the "new kid on the block". If you're building new code, it's
> probably worth a look. Personally, I tend to shy away from stuff this new
> for large scale applications until the technology has been around for a
> couple of revs in order to avoid getting hooked into the "D.O. of the Month
> Club."

> Case in Point:
> In the VB3 days, if you wanted e-mail in your apps, you either coded the
> MAPI APIs or used the MAPIMessage and MAPISession controls. Around the
> release of VB4, we got "OLE Messaging", with "ActiveX Messaging" following
> close on it's heels. Now we have "Collaboration Data Objects" or something.
> That's a rate of about a major rev per year.

> Now, any of these approaches will probably do an equally decent job of
> sending a message or an attached file. For my money, I wish MS would just
> settle down a bit and give me some type of messaging interface that has a
> longer lifespan than my next development schedule. It's great that CDO can
> now brew my morning coffee, but will it still exist at the end of the month?

> The Technology of the Month Club Syndrome isn't isolated to messaging
> either. How many revs per year have we had of Internet Explorer and Internet
> Information Server? I'd like to see whatever's available now have something
> more than a three or four month lifespan before I start writing code against
> it.

> Staying on the cutting edge is fine, so long as you can keep yourself off of
> the bleeding edge.

>      Joe


> http://computingcentral.msn.com/forums/softwaredevelopment/
> http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick/vbasic/


> >I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
> >database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
> >of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
> >etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
> >within.

> >My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
> >this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
> >JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

> >Any insight will be appreciated.

> >Randy Gritton


 
 
 

Should I migrate to RDO?

Post by CaMA, Inc » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>Staying on the cutting edge is fine, so long as you can keep yourself off
of
>the bleeding edge.

Amen.
 
 
 

1. Migrating from DAO to ADO/RDO

Hi,

I currently have a few programs which have been written to suit an Access
back end, but the time has now come to beef the back end up to SQL Server 7.
Can anyone point me to a painless book, site or article on migrating from
DAO to ADO or RDO ? Many other people must have done this previously so I'm
thinking that there must be quite a bit of reference material out there on
this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David.

2. Fox2.6-All of my fields won't fit in auto screen????

3. RDO Error 429 - Like to confirm if RDO available from VB Prof

4. SQL Statement for Matching Partial Strings

5. Migrate from 7.2.3 to 8.0 using Migrate Utility or Export/Import

6. Maximum length of a row in SQL Server for CE

7. RDO 1 -> RDO 2 Problem

8. Moving files??

9. (RDO) Message when I call a Store Procedure to add or update a record. (RDO)

10. RDO in VC++ 4.2: Can I create and use rdo objects without RDC ?

11. Migrating SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0

12. Migrating from MSSQL7 to MSSQL 2000