OLE Db Vs ADO

Post by Eric Johnso » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am currently working on a database application.  The classes that
access data, are using ODBC to access an MS Access Db or an identical Db
in SQL Server 2000.  We know we need to use a more current technology,
but which one.  What are the pros and cons of using OLE DB vs ADO.
Currently, The Data Access dll uses structures to pass data back and
forth.  We will be moving these classes into Com a Server in the next
version.  I am familiar with both data access technologies, but by no
means an expert in either.  The decision also includes climbing a
learning curve.  Not a problem, but I don't want to get to the top of
that curve to find I climbed the wrong one.  One more question, are the
sweeter abilities of ADO (.save, URL in a connection, ...) available in
OLE DB, or do they have to be coded?

Thank you

OLE Db Vs ADO

Post by John Korti » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

ADO is an API layer on top of OLE DB.  Ole Db is the core
DB access code. ADO interfaces to it.  ADO is much, much easier
to code!!! You'll find it convenient when you get into Active Directory
etc!
Quote:-----Original Message-----

I am currently working on a database application.  The classes that
access data, are using ODBC to access an MS Access Db or an identical Db
in SQL Server 2000.  We know we need to use a more current technology,
but which one.  What are the pros and cons of using OLE DB vs ADO.
Currently, The Data Access dll uses structures to pass data back and
forth.  We will be moving these classes into Com a Server in the next
version.  I am familiar with both data access technologies, but by no
means an expert in either.  The decision also includes climbing a
learning curve.  Not a problem, but I don't want to get to the top of
that curve to find I climbed the wrong one.  One more question, are the
sweeter abilities of ADO (.save, URL in a connection, ...) available in
OLE DB, or do they have to be coded?

Thank you

.

OLE Db Vs ADO

Post by Duke S » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi:

ADO is Microsoft's primier data access technology. It's designed as an
easy-to-use application interface to OLE DB. ADO is easy to use because it
exposes Automation objects that abstract the OLE DB interface. This allows
the programmer to focus on the tasks to accomplish rather than the
complexity of OLE DB.

ADO is designed to present the most commonly used feature of OLE DB.
However, if you want to use the full feature of OLE DB, for example, you
want to build a OLE DB provider, OLE DB should be used.

If you just want to access data from a database, you should use ADO.

1. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

We have a relatively large VB 5.0 (Professional Editiion)  application which
primarily accesses tabular databases using DAO.

We wish to add a simple database explorer -- a bit of code that returns a
lists of servers and databases by driver.  It would mimic the network
neighbourhood app but for SQL databases.

The standard ODBC 2.0 call is SQLBROWSECONNECT. Can anyone confirm

1. whether this can this can only be achived using VB 5.0 (Enterprise
Edition) using ODBCDIRECT services?

2. whether  ADO or OLE/DB provide high level facilities for locating drivers
and returning a list of servers and databases?

3. whether I am correct in assuming that DAO and ODBC connectivity will be
superceded by ADO and OLE/DB?

4.whether  you will be able to write applications using VB which call OLE/DB
irectly - the current spec requires C++

5. whether there is a later version of ODBC that is more suitable for VB?

6. whether there is a third party database explorer library  suitable for VB
that does this task?

Finally the current SQLDRIVERS function will return a list of drivers if
they are installed on a local machine. If drivers are located on servers
rather than locally installed does the SQLDrivers function list (locate)
these drivers as well?

2. Paradox translator/compiler

3. ADO/OLE DB vs Native vs RDO - Oracle

4. Primary key for a rarely used table.

5. ADO vs. OLE DB

6. Simple Oracle Net Security Question

7. ADO vs OLE DB.

8. Secure Finds

9. OLE DB vs. ADO

10. ADO: SQL OLE DB vs. ODBC

11. ODBC vs OLE DB (ADO)

12. ADO 2.5 vs 2.6 with SQL OLE DB provider

13. ODBC vs ADO/OLE DB