The "year 2000 bug"

Post by Johnn » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to handle the "year 2000 bug" in Delphi, I can't
seem to find any date formats in the BDE.

Also If I wrote an application in Delphi 2.0, can I compile it to run
under Win3.1 or do I have to revert back to Delphi 1.0 and recompile.

Last question is How do I handle Foxpro dbase files using Delphi. I
would also like to be able to update the Foxpro files. Thanks anyone
for any help.

Regards to all,

The "year 2000 bug"

Post by Paul E. Jon » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Does anyone know how to handle the "year 2000 bug" in Delphi, I can't
>seem to find any date formats in the BDE.

What bug?  It seems to work fine for me.  If you're seeing only 2 digits for
the year, you can change Window's "Regional Settings" in control panel or put
code in like this:

  ShortDateFormat := 'MM/dd/yyyy';

which overrides Windows defaults

Quote:

>Also If I wrote an application in Delphi 2.0, can I compile it to run
>under Win3.1 or do I have to revert back to Delphi 1.0 and recompile.

You'll have to revert to Delphi 1.0.

Quote:

>Last question is How do I handle Foxpro dbase files using Delphi. I
>would also like to be able to update the Foxpro files. Thanks anyone
>for any help.

You'll have to use an ODBC driver for FoxPro, supplied with your FoxPro
software.

Paul

--
// Paul E. Jones

// PGP public key available by e-mail or my WWW page
// "These are my opinions.  They might not be much, but they're all mine!"

The "year 2000 bug"

Post by Mike Johns » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

#Does anyone know how to handle the "year 2000 bug" in Delphi, I can't

#seem to find any date formats in the BDE.

#Also If I wrote an application in Delphi 2.0, can I compile it to run

#under Win3.1 or do I have to revert back to Delphi 1.0 and recompile.

#Last question is How do I handle Foxpro dbase files using Delphi. I
#would also like to be able to update the Foxpro files. Thanks anyone
#for any help.

#Regards to all,

Have you tried reproducing this 'bug' yet using Paradox or dBase?  My
guess is that you will not be able to.  This is a media-induced-
ferver-be-scared-people-because-the-world-is-going-to-fall-apart-in-the-
21st-century bug.  Most of the problems are going to be found with
legacy system created back in the 50's-70's (some of my father's best
work will be affected).

I do not think you can access Foxpro database files directly.  There
is a product that can, though I cannot remember the name of it.  Or
you can access ODBC; have ODBC do the work of reading the Foxpro
database information.

Mike

The "year 2000 bug"

Post by Allen J. Friedm » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: #Does anyone know how to handle the "year 2000 bug" in Delphi
[ snip ... ]

: Have you tried reproducing this 'bug' yet using Paradox or dBase?  My
: guess is that you will not be able to.  This is a media-induced-
: ferver-be-scared-people-because-the-world-is-going-to-fall-apart-in-the-
: 21st-century bug.  Most of the problems are going to be found with
: legacy system created back in the 50's-70's (some of my father's best
: work will be affected).

Granted that dBase and Paradox store the full 4 digits of a year, there
is still a lot to worry about between now and 12/31/99.

Try this:  set the date on your PC to 12/31/99 and the time 11:58 pm.
Wait five minutes, and re-check the date.  It will say something
re-assuring like "1/1/00".  Now save a file and check its date: Surprise!

Even if you can be absolutely certain that you've never used a code of
"99" or "00"  to signify "year unknown", you can be pretty sure that
someone else has, and that s/he  may have worked for your credit card
company, your bank, the motor vehicle registry, or your customer's
accounts payable department.

Allen

The "year 2000 bug"

Post by Stefan Paeto » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to handle the "year 2000 bug" in Delphi, I can't
> seem to find any date formats in the BDE.

> Also If I wrote an application in Delphi 2.0, can I compile it to run
> under Win3.1 or do I have to revert back to Delphi 1.0 and recompile.

> Last question is How do I handle Foxpro dbase files using Delphi. I
> would also like to be able to update the Foxpro files. Thanks anyone
> for any help.

> Regards to all,

Well Johnny,

I checked the Delphi 1.0 stuff out and found out that with the calendar control you
are able to go back to about 100 AD or forward to something like 4000 AD. Anyway, just
take a look at the TDateTime vairable type, perhaps you might find something there

Regards

Stefan Paetow
the author of The Missing Link

=   THE MISSING LINK - YOUR LINK TO 1001  =
=          LOCATIONS IN THE WORLD         =
= includes DELPHI CENTRAL, the Delphi Hub =
=         started on 8 February 1996      =

=         for queries and suggestions     =

The "year 2000 bug"

Post by David Nottag » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Try this:  set the date on your PC to 12/31/99 and the time 11:58 pm.
>Wait five minutes, and re-check the date.  It will say something
>re-assuring like "1/1/00".  Now save a file and check its date: Surprise!

I tried this, and my file's date is 1-1-00, which is correct. Now what?

Dave

1. YEAR 2000 "BUG": IMPACT ON DATABASES AND DBM

I am looking for information regarding the Year 2000 problem and its
impact on databases of any kind. If members of this NG have specific
examples of the impact of the Y2K problem on a particular type of
database, please forward the message to me at

The information is being used for two purposes:

1) a white paper for a graduate business class
2) "grist for the mill" as the University and the Libraries (for whom
I work) will have to deal with this "fun" problem too.

thanks in advance

Matt Bovee
University of Kansas

2. Forms in V8 and V5 interchangable?

3. Year-2000 "Year" dictionary: Universe

4. System Error 116.6.0

5. year 2000 "certification"

6. APT rules question

8. HELP!!! How to use 2 or more files as the data source?

9. SQL Query To Establish Consecutive "Years"

10. How to make a "decimal"-field to an "integer"-field

11. "."and ","

12. The+instruction+at+"0x1f90db9b"+referenced+memory+at+"0x7fa03794"+The+memory+cou

13. The ""string""