ADO Recordset field entry

Post by Rob » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi..I want my program to recognize an entry in a database column. The column
is called "Image" and has a number of file names but not in  every cell as some of
these cells have no entries at all. The entries are names of .jpg files that I give the
user a choice of viewing if it is in the record looked at.
how do I set the recordset object to identify if the record has an entry in this column?
I was looking along the line of...

 If rs.recordset.fields("image") = "" then etc..etc

Icant get it to work because I would expect that it sees some entries in this column therefore
the "" becomes false. I need it to see the empty cell.

Any help would be appreciated......Rob

ADO Recordset field entry

Post by Jaso » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Rob,

Try looking at the IsNull Command this may help you

HTH
Jason

Hi..I want my program to recognize an entry in a database column. The column
is called "Image" and has a number of file names but not in  every cell as
some of
these cells have no entries at all. The entries are names of .jpg files that
I give the
user a choice of viewing if it is in the record looked at.
how do I set the recordset object to identify if the record has an entry in
this column?
I was looking along the line of...

 If rs.recordset.fields("image") = "" then etc..etc

Icant get it to work because I would expect that it sees some entries in
this column therefore
the "" becomes false. I need it to see the empty cell.

Any help would be appreciated......Rob

ADO Recordset field entry

Post by Robb » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Yes, ideally you will need to check both for "" and Null.

>Rob,

>Try looking at the IsNull Command this may help you

>HTH
>Jason

>Hi..I want my program to recognize an entry in a database column. The
column
>is called "Image" and has a number of file names but not in  every cell as
>some of
>these cells have no entries at all. The entries are names of .jpg files
that
>I give the
>user a choice of viewing if it is in the record looked at.
>how do I set the recordset object to identify if the record has an entry in
>this column?
>I was looking along the line of...

> If rs.recordset.fields("image") = "" then etc..etc

>Icant get it to work because I would expect that it sees some entries in
>this column therefore
>the "" becomes false. I need it to see the empty cell.

>Any help would be appreciated......Rob

1. Coping Master table field entry to Detail table field entry

I have a law enforcement evidence tracking application which is made up of
a Master table (where the suspect personal address, citation number, etc.
information is entered) and then a detail table (where the seized equipment
articles are entered).

I use a citation number (L-01111) as the primary key field to link the two.
 When I arrive at the detail table to enter the numerous items I manually
enter the same citation number from the Master table (while adding a 001)
incrementally to each additional item (example - L-0111-001 as the first
item, then L-0111-002 as the second, and so on.  These become evidence tag
numbers for inventory purposes).

Is there a way to have the detail table copy the citation number
automatically from the Master table  "CitNo#"  field down into the detail
table "CitNo#"  field, and additionally add (if possible) the needed "-001"
behind that number?   The problem is I have officers put evidence tag
numbers of all descriptions in this field of the detail table and I'd like
to control that and have the application automatically enter the needed
sequence without need for officer entry in this field.

Thanks for any help you could spare me with this problem.

2. Fixing error ORA-06571

3. ADO Finding Highest Number in ADO Recordset field?

4. ORACLES ROWNUM

5. ADO DataCombo list field has duplicate entries

6. crash after desc cmd on linked tbl

7. coded entry over password entry field

8. Insert value to identity column

9. Open ADO recordset on another ADO recordset - possible?

10. NText field exception in ADO recordset

11. Help:Editing field values of an ADO recordset returned from SQL SP

12. MDX field name in ADO recordset filter property

13. Wrong Identity field returned from an ADO Recordset quering SQL - Causes