Newbie has various SQL questions

Post by Shaun Planide » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to develop an application that can connect to a SQL
database.
I am a newbie to SQL so please bare with me.

1)    Do I need SQL 7.0 Server installed on my network in order to
access a SQL database?  ie. Access 97 is not required to use an Access
97 database.  If not, then what do you use as the 'Server=' value in the
connection string?

2)    Is it possible to create a SQL database so that only my
application can access it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Shaun Planiden

Newbie has various SQL questions

Post by Andik Yuliant » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 14:28:35

You can assigne connect string in run time by reading from reqistry or INI
file.
Although it's possible to develop without SQL server installed, you can
compile your App and make it EXE. But you'll get error when running it.
E.q.:
Set Conn=new connection
Conn.Open ConnectString ' <--- Where connect string value come from?

Quote:> Hello,

> I am trying to develop an application that can connect to a SQL
> database.
> I am a newbie to SQL so please bare with me.

> 1)    Do I need SQL 7.0 Server installed on my network in order to
> access a SQL database?  ie. Access 97 is not required to use an Access
> 97 database.  If not, then what do you use as the 'Server=' value in the
> connection string?

> 2)    Is it possible to create a SQL database so that only my
> application can access it?

> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Shaun Planiden

Newbie has various SQL questions

Post by Stag » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> 1)    Do I need SQL 7.0 Server installed on my network in order to
> access a SQL database?  ie. Access 97 is not required to use an Access
> 97 database.  If not, then what do you use as the 'Server=' value in the
> connection string?

You would need either SQL Server or MSDE on your network or on your local
machine to "serve" you the data. Client/Server databases require both
components to work.

Quote:> 2)    Is it possible to create a SQL database so that only my
> application can access it?

Yes, by using the security features of user name and password.

SP

Newbie has various SQL questions

Post by Laura N Meyerovic » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

1. You do not need SQL server 7.0 "on your network"  you do need SQL server
driver on your PC (usually there from some other installation like
mdac_typ).

2. You cannot limit the database by application.  You can limit it by your
application users, or you can create a generic id, and hardcode password in
your application.

--
Laura Meyerovich
Magnet Systems

Visual Basic, MS Access, Crystal Reports, SQL Server, and ASP independent
consultant.
Development, system integration, database design and data conversions.