What database to use

Post by Trond Nyl?kke » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

Help I have programming in VB3 and VB4, and now we are planing to get a
database
we have looked at oracle but it is rather expensiv, so I wonder what the
bestchoise is.
The database wil have 70 000 records and 5 user''s.

Trond.

What database to use

Post by t. smit » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

> Help I have programming in VB3 and VB4, and now we are planing to get a
> database
> we have looked at oracle but it is rather expensiv, so I wonder what the
> bestchoise is.
> The database wil have 70 000 records and 5 user''s.

> Trond.

  You are using VB...the Access database is considered a 'native'
database for VB..I am currently using a database of about
300,000-400,000 records, about 7.5megabytes in size...it is fast and
reliable..using VB5 and DAO3.5.  This is an access database.
You dont really need to buy any database prodcuts if you just create the
db in code using VB..however, for developement, if you choose to use
Access, then you'll want the access97, which is avaialbe for $99.95 on
the store shelves.
We have been using this db with 2 users with no problem...the
performance with more sers is unknonwn to me. On Micro$oft website, the
official claim is that Access/JET is good for 25-50 users. The largest
db size recommended in Access is 128Meg.
FWIW
-- thomas--

=====================================

What database to use

Post by Keith Benedic » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Take a look at Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.X.  It's reasonably priced and
reliable.
--
Keith Benedict
Software Engineer

*** My reply email address is mangled to cut down on the

US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer / modem / printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.  Sec. 227
(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti*t
to such equipment.  Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the
aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual
monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.

Quote:> Help I have programming in VB3 and VB4, and now we are planing to get a
> database
> we have looked at oracle but it is rather expensiv, so I wonder what the
> bestchoise is.
> The database wil have 70 000 records and 5 user''s.

> Trond.

What database to use

Post by Hank Meyn » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

> Help I have programming in VB3 and VB4, and now we are planing to get a
> database
> we have looked at oracle but it is rather expensiv, so I wonder what the
> bestchoise is.
> The database wil have 70 000 records and 5 user''s.

> Trond.

I have used VB5 with Access. It is easy, fast and seems to work good. It
also very cheap. Also, VB DAO makes it real easy to write apps using
Access.
Hank Meyne

MortgageFlex Systems, Inc.           904-356-2490 ext.350
2100 Barnett Center,                 904-356-1099 fax
50 N. Laura St.                      http://www.mortgageflex.com

1. using access databases by using ODBC

hi everyone...
I just need some help on my project..i hope someone can help...
what my problem is I want to reach to Access database from data control
by using ODBC...I had a few tries but was unsuccessful...they were ended
with the message telling me:
"you can not use ODBC to import from, expert to or link an external MS
Access or ISAM database table to your database!"
I need urgent help...if anyone knows what is wrong here?and also how we
can do this then please give a hand.
looking forward for your reply.
thanks in advance!
cem

2. psql produces core dump

3. Failed SQL7 to SQL2000 database copy using copy database wizard

4. SQL*NET Questions

5. Database Corruption using slightly different database versions

6. Predicting table values with Microsoft's data mining algorithms

7. client/server database transactions using ASP

8. Tracing Non-unix connected user in sysprocesses

9. Exchange data between two databases without using a ##table

10. Which Devices a database is using

11. DATABASE IMPORT USING DTS

12. How to copy a record to a clone database by using SQL