distributing applications on CD-ROM

Post by Martin Wirsin » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I want to distributa a Delphi application unsing the BDE on CD-ROM.  Is
there a way to install the BDE without using its install programme and
without offending Borland's BDE distribution policies.

There might also be some other things to be carefull with when running a
database application diretly from CD-ROM.  For instance I can imagine
that I have to make sure that BDE does not try to write in the database.

I would appreciate any tips.
--

1. Distributing Sql Server databases on CD-ROM

I need to distribute my application in a "kiosk" mode.  I'm able to attach
and detach the database on CD-ROM.  I have the workaround for NT's
"scatter-read" bug.  But now, I can only attach the database if the CD-ROM's
driveletter is the same driveletter as driveletter it was last stored on.
This is because complete paths to all files the database uses, are stored in
the database (Dumb, dumb, DUMB).

I know I can create a database as a read-only, CD-distributable.  My problem
is my database is already created, and there's no information on the MSDN
(or anywhere else for that matter) that tells me how I can convert my
database to one that I can distribute.

Has anyone dealt with this problem?  I've been working on it on and off for
several months and I'm getting pretty frustrated (so is my boss).

I'm using ADO/VB, if that helps.

TIA

John Reynolds

2. "Bit" Fields all FALSE after INNER JOIN

3. Is there any database working with CD-ROM(CD-R,CD-RW)

4. Question about #import method for ado

5. distributing Delphi apps on CD-ROM

6. BUILD YOUR OWN C`A.B,L,E B,O`X...FREE C`A.B,L.E`............. 5942

7. Distributing on CD-ROM = downsizing?

8. Global Variable & Parameterized Query

9. Multimedia Database Application on CD ROM

10. HowTo start a Web application from CD-ROM

11. Running a VB4 application accessing JET DB without installation (from CD-ROM)

12. transporting my ASP application to CD-ROM

13. Cannot alter PDX-Table on HD if Application is on CD-ROM