URGENT HELP NEEDED - Report Generation

Post by S.T. Wo » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

I've no idea about how to create a report using VB DataReport.  I tried to
display information from several commands (and sub-commands) but seems VB
DataReport doesn't accept multiple data source, no matter it's bound at design
time or run time.  Someone recommend Crystal Report or Active Report.  Are
they free of charge ?  Or is there any workaround ?

Any help will be much appreciated !

Thank you very much !

Sincerely,
ST Wong

--

URGENT HELP NEEDED - Report Generation

Post by Brian Mowbra » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I use Crystal Reports 8, and feel it offers a wide range or reporting
capability and is very powerful. For simple reports I would stick to the
Data Report to keep distribution simple.

Crystal Reports 4.5 or 5 ships with VB I think if you choose that route.

Brian Mowbray

> Hi there,

> I've no idea about how to create a report using VB DataReport.  I tried to
> display information from several commands (and sub-commands) but seems VB
> DataReport doesn't accept multiple data source, no matter it's bound at
design
> time or run time.  Someone recommend Crystal Report or Active Report.  Are
> they free of charge ?  Or is there any workaround ?

> Any help will be much appreciated !

> Thank you very much !

> Sincerely,
> ST Wong

> --

1. URGENT : Generation of Reports

Hi,

FROM A DESPERATE PERSON

First of all, I would like to thank everybody who has helped me before.

Please HELP me if you can as I'm a newbie in VB, Microsoft Access and
crystal reports. I'm getting very desperate as I'm left with one week to
complete my project.

I'm using MDB database and I've now finished with the database access.
But now, the problem lies with the speed while printing selected
database records.

I've currently using Crystal reports 2.0 that comes with VB 3.0. I've
created a crystal report custom control on my form. I've generated the
following record selection criteria in VB.
        CrystalRpt.ReportFileName = "k:\project1\rpt1.rpt" 'name of rpt
        CrystalRpt.SelectionFormula = "{CUST.DATE} >= Date(1996,09,01)"
        CrystalRpt.UserName = "irene" 'db is secured
        CrystalRpt.Password = "irene"
        CrystalRpt.DataFiles(0) = "K:\project1\cust.mdb" 'db to use
        CrystalRpt.Destination = 1  'to printer
        CrystalRpt.Action = 1

CUST.DATE is a field in CUST table which is indexed. This table also
consists of two other indexes. This table is very big and has more than
60000 records. I've set the use <indexes for speed> option in crystal
reports. This database is stored in a network drive. Apart from this,
this database also has another two tables which holds around the same
number of records.

The problem is : crystal reports takes more than 10minutes to select
records from Sep 1996 onwards. What I can see on the screen is it check
from the 1st record to the last record in the table? Why? I've already
supplied the index for date? Why it takes so long here but in VB, this
can be done in a few seconds. This selection time is absolutely out. Is
crystal report slow???? So what can I do? I thought of using VB printer
object, but that'll be very tedious and time consuming (This report also
requires to calculate total amount of money spent, etc under each
customer categories).

Any suggestions? Should I still continue to use crystal reports? Is
there any third party report printing s/w that will solve my problem? Or
is Microsoft Access report function difficult to learn? How long will it
takes normally for a totally new person? What do VB programmers normally
use for report generation?

--

Cheers,
Irene

My Homepage :           http://home.pacific.net.sg/~irene

:-))))))))) Have a nice day

2. d3 linux with redhat 6.0 vs redhat 5.2

3. Need Urgent Help with Visual FoxPro Report!

4. view long text in sql 2k??

5. Urgent Help Needed on Reporting

6. D3 and Delphi

7. Urgent help needed for report writing

8. Need Urgent Help in Creating Reports.

9. Urgent Help Needed : Delphi / Crystal Reports

10. Need "Report Generation" Utility

11. I need report generation advice!

12. Help report generation & data grouping