.UDL Files

Post by A.M » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:40:58

Hi,

How can i make Connection object to use an .UDL or .DSN file rather than
connection string ?

Thanks,
Ali

.UDL Files

Post by Bob Butle » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:43:09

Quote:> Hi,

> How can i make Connection object to use an .UDL or .DSN file rather
> than connection string ?

odb.connectionstring="File Name=Whatever.UDL;"
odb.open

.UDL Files

Post by A.M » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 04:51:52

Thanks for replay.
That syntax does not work in DataEnvironment connections. How can i
programmatically have dataenvironment connections to use a UDL file?

> > Hi,

> > How can i make Connection object to use an .UDL or .DSN file rather
> > than connection string ?

> odb.connectionstring="File Name=Whatever.UDL;"
> odb.open

.UDL Files

Post by Bob Butle » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 05:48:03

Quote:> Thanks for replay.
> That syntax does not work in DataEnvironment connections. How can i
> programmatically have dataenvironment connections to use a UDL file?

Sorry, I don't use the DE and my general advice would be to abandon that.

.UDL Files

Post by A.M » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 22:20:18

Could you tell me why ?
Because we are going to heavily relay on that.
Thanks,
Ali

> > Thanks for replay.
> > That syntax does not work in DataEnvironment connections. How can i
> > programmatically have dataenvironment connections to use a UDL file?

> Sorry, I don't use the DE and my general advice would be to abandon that.

.UDL Files

Post by Bob Butle » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:03:43

Quote:> Could you tell me why ?
> Because we are going to heavily relay on that.

The DE is a thin wrapper around ADO and gets you very little over using ADO
directly.  I could never figure out any value to it except at design time
since it'd let me do some simple queries and view the table layouts.

It's also not going to be supported beyond VB6 so it's definitely a dead end
approach.

1. ADO and UDL files - Does ADO cache UDL?

Hello,

I read in the Bill Vaughn book, ADO Examples and Best Practices, that after
an ADO connection object uses a UDL file for it's connectionstring, it somehow
caches the file so it doesn't have to go to the file system each time a new
connection is opened using the same file. He didn't go into much detail and I
haven't been able to find any other documentation about this to support his
claim. In a DevelopMentor class I attended in August 2000, Ted Pattison
suggested the same, but mentioned only that he had heard this was the case and
hadn't yet researched it to find out if it was true.

In an article on ExtremeTech.com, it is said that, "File DSNs are especially
slow and not at all recommended for high-traffic sites because of the way the
files are handled -- each transaction requires that the file be opened,
read/written, closed, and republished to the data provider."

Can anyone confirm whether or not ADO does indeed cache UDL files and if so,
include a link to some documentation? Other than Bill's book, I haven't found
any documentation to support the caching claim.

The ExtremeTech article can be found here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1034%2526a%253D15262%...
3D6%2526ap%253D7,00.asp

Thank you!

- Anthony

2. how do I get this into proper databases?

3. Open UDL File from C++

4. Problems with Decimal Places

5. OLEDB Remote Connection Setup Via UDL File

6. importing a database

7. Cannot create UDL File

8. How to use UDL files???

9. How to connect to SQL Server database using .udl-file

10. Conection ID Error using .UDL files

11. Getting an error when setting up a UDL file

12. Determine if UDL file is used for Datasource via VB.