ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

Post by Farru » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello there,
               I have just purchased VB 6 pro. The ADO's features are quite
impressive. However when I connected a ADO Data Control to a Grid to pull up a
table from an mdb.(The table was about 250 meg in size-LARGE) it took 20
minutes for the program to display the records on the grid VS DAO Data control
which only takes 10 seconds to do the same thing. Does anyone know what is
going on here ?
Thanks for any suggestions

ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

Post by Craig Waddingto » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Yes, similar problems experienced here.

After reading the duawamish examples, I tried upgrading from DAO to ADO. I
noticed a huge increase in realtime, and after investigating, found that
using DAO, a call to .openrecordset took on average 7ms, while using ADO, a
call to the .open method took 280ms (thats 40 times slower!). These
measurements were taken opening the same table in an Access DB in Win98 on a
P200MMX machine.

I can only assume that when people say that ADO is quicker for the vast
majority of applications, they exclude applications where MS Access is used.

I am currently considering using both ADO and DAO in the same application -
using DAO for client-side caching (because of better real-time) and using
ADO for reading/writing to the DB (to make use of Transactions, and Shaped
cursors). Any opinions about whether this will work?

cheers,
Craig.

>Hello there,
>               I have just purchased VB 6 pro. The ADO's features are quite
>impressive. However when I connected a ADO Data Control to a Grid to pull
up a
>table from an mdb.(The table was about 250 meg in size-LARGE) it took 20
>minutes for the program to display the records on the grid VS DAO Data
control
>which only takes 10 seconds to do the same thing. Does anyone know what is
>going on here ?
>Thanks for any suggestions

1. Performance question: NULL vs '' (empty string)

Hi, a hypothetical question for you:

Will I achieve better performance if I use NULL instead of empty strings in
a given column in a table?

In other words is

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE column IS NOT NULL

faster than

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE column <> ''

Or is there no difference?

Best regards
Lee Francis Wilhelmsen

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and
practice. But, in practice, there is.

2. !SYBASE DBA - Job Opportunity - SYBASE DBA !!!

3. ADO vs DAO performance

4. TERMINAL SERVER

5. performance of DAO vs ADO

6. Serial Keys & ODBC (CLI)

7. ADO vs DAO performance

8. Is this possible, logging changes using XML

9. DAO vs ADO Performance

10. ADO: Performance Testing vs. DAO

11. Performance ADO Vs DAO

12. Char vs. Varchar - Performance issues's

13. DAO vs ADO - Newbie doesn't understand...