Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by Paul Wats » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Is vb5 the way to go????..I am planning to devellop a vb bussines data
base product using only simple basic procedures.... what SCARES me is
I keep hearing installation horror stories, that win 98 won't let you
install this product cos it's using the same files.. an expert seems
to be needed for the client to over these and similar problems.
As this is suppose to be a low priced product there is no
salesman/expert factored in to cover this...

ARE MY FEARS REASONABLE??? this is the question
any help would be much appreciated.

Brendan

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by tripp » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

i never had any problems with VB5 and Win98

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by Dennis Withe » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Use Delphi, you will be allot happier.

Quote:> Is vb5 the way to go????..I am planning to devellop a vb bussines data
> base product using only simple basic procedures.... what SCARES me is
> I keep hearing installation horror stories, that win 98 won't let you
> install this product cos it's using the same files.. an expert seems
> to be needed for the client to over these and similar problems.
> As this is suppose to be a low priced product there is no
> salesman/expert factored in to cover this...

> ARE MY FEARS REASONABLE??? this is the question
> any help would be much appreciated.

> Brendan

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by ay.. » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Use Delphi, you will be allot happier.

Paper and pencil, when used properly, are the safest choice.

> > Is vb5 the way to go????..I am planning to devellop a vb
> > bussines data base product using only simple basic procedures....
> > what SCARES me is I keep hearing installation horror stories, that
> > win 98 won't let you
> > install this product cos it's using the same files.. an expert seems
> > to be needed for the client to over these and similar problems.
> > As this is suppose to be a low priced product there is no
> > salesman/expert factored in to cover this...

> > ARE MY FEARS REASONABLE??? this is the question
> > any help would be much appreciated.

> > Brendan

-Amos Yung

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by Mick O'Rourk » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I tried to stay with the quill and ink, but had too many problems plucking
the geese!!
Mick O'Rourke

>Paper and pencil, when used properly, are the safest choice.

>> > ARE MY FEARS REASONABLE??? this is the question
>> > any help would be much appreciated.

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by KVSGROUP LT » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Your 'horror stories' must stem from bad programming practices rather then
any flaws or bad design within VB5.0.
Installation problems are not insurmountable. In my opinion VB5.0 is THE
product to use for business applications.

'A bad workman always blames his tools'

Post by Peter Maa » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Your 'horror stories' must stem from bad programming practices rather then
> any flaws or bad design within VB5.0.
> Installation problems are not insurmountable. In my opinion VB5.0 is THE
> product to use for business applications.

Alright, we have to do a VB business application. We currently have the problem that the VB OLE control doesn't allow copying the contents of an Access OLE field to clipboard if the OLE server responsible for the content is not installed. This was possible with the MS Access application we currently have to rewrite.

I have scanned several newsgroups, knowledge bases and the like. Right now I am digging into the Win32 and OLE API originally written in C/C++. I see lots of Declare statements with strange translations of function signatures from C/C++ to VB. I ask myself: If plain VB is not enough to do my work, wouldn't it be better to use C++ from the beginning? I guess your answer is: to do tasks in Visual C++ is harder and takes longer because it isn't as visual as VB. Right, but then you should take look at C++Builder which is true Visual (like VB) and delivers C++ power. My experience is: for plain database front ends MS Access is the best tool, but if you need flexibility you should avoid VB because for plain database work it isn't as good as MS Access and for the rest it is outperformed by Delphi and C++Builder.

Finally my question: do you know how to solve the above mentioned problem in VB?

Regards, Peter.

Peter Maas, m+r infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by ink » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Strange - with me it was the other way round...

>I used Delphi for some time, that's why I use VB.

>> Use Delphi, you will be allot happier.

Is VB5 the way to go? horror stories

Post by ramdane0 » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have been through hell, with this problem, it's simple the Setup Wizard
or call it the Setup from Microsoft, will make you lose sleep and clients.

Use InstallShield or Wise and you will never have to worry again.

> Is vb5 the way to go????..I am planning to devellop a vb bussines data
> base product using only simple basic procedures.... what SCARES me is
> I keep hearing installation horror stories, that win 98 won't let you
> install this product cos it's using the same files.. an expert seems
> to be needed for the client to over these and similar problems.
> As this is suppose to be a low priced product there is no
> salesman/expert factored in to cover this...

> ARE MY FEARS REASONABLE??? this is the question
> any help would be much appreciated.

> Brendan

1. SP1 horror stories...

Has anyone experienced weird results mixing SP1 machines?  I installed SP1
on my machine that I use to remotly administer my OLAP server, then
installed SP1 on my OLAP server.  I had intermittant problems connecting to
the OLAP server and building/scheduling cubes, even after SP1 was installed
on both machines.

I eventually backed off and uninstalled MS OLAP Services on both machines
and then re-installed OLAP without SP1.  Since then I've had problems with
corrupt cubes and botched builds.  I'm afraid to re-install SP1, but I don't
know what else to do.  It's a production SQL 6.5 server, so if I hose the
machine I'm toast.

Any ideas or similar horror stories?

Thanks,

Jason Burton

2. Questions on using ODBC.

3. Just Logic recommendations/horror stories

4. Error while writing to multi-table database...

5. SQL 6.5 SP5a Horror Stories...?

6. ++ Object//Component '98 ++

7. Metadata and ETL Horror Stories

8. SQL Error, Asyncronous

9. Horror Story - RD Support!

10. Tech Support Horror Stories (Crescent)

11. DBA Horror Stories

12. Are there any D3 B-Tree Horror Stories?

13. Resync , Identity, Join Horror Story