Java Stored Procedures...any thoughts?

Post by Michael P. McCutcheo » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Our organization is thinking about using Java stored procedures in Oracle 8i
because we don't have enough PL/SQL people, and the Java (middle tier)
developers want to take things into their own hands.  We need to do this
because we have a lot of database intensive work that might be better done
on the back end.

Questions:

1) What do you need to create and deploy a Java stored procedure (i.e. Do
you need the JDeveloper package from Oracle, or can you just use the JDK and
a text editor?)

2) What are your experiences with using Java Stored Procedures?  Good, bad,
ugly?

3) Are there any advantages to using Java Stored Procedures over PL/SQL
stored procedures?

4) Is the API the for stored procedures the same as the JDBC API?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (please copy my
email when responding to the newsgroup).

Mike

Java Stored Procedures...any thoughts?

Post by Alan Boldoc » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:59:24

Don't know about Oracle but maybe similar to DB2?

Quote:> Our organization is thinking about using Java stored procedures in Oracle
8i
> because we don't have enough PL/SQL people, and the Java (middle tier)
> developers want to take things into their own hands.  We need to do this
> because we have a lot of database intensive work that might be better done
> on the back end.

> Questions:

> 1) What do you need to create and deploy a Java stored procedure (i.e. Do
> you need the JDeveloper package from Oracle, or can you just use the JDK
and
> a text editor?)

Yes you can you standard JDK stuff, The only difference from standard JDBC
code is that when running as a Stored Procedure the connection URL is to
Default, the
connection overheads are reduced.

Quote:

> 2) What are your experiences with using Java Stored Procedures?  Good,
bad,
> ugly?

Great! They are a really good way of "pushing" the workload into the
Database
depending on where your largest load is. You  need to ask yourself where is
most load? Where is most power? Where is the power best used? where can the
power be split? Ie we run WebSphere split between several PC's and the DB
running on a powerfull AIX machine. I can "move" the load from the
Application
Servers and into the Database by doing several things
1, rather than have a complex bean structure for Enterties I can push them
into
the database in stored procedures,
2, I can move the load between AppServers
3, I can simply make and EJB that moves the load "closer" to the database.

Quote:

> 3) Are there any advantages to using Java Stored Procedures over PL/SQL
> stored procedures?

Well for me Understanding how to write them really :-) I don't like PL/SQL
but if you do know PL/SQL its probably quicker execution as it is native to
Oracle. But these days with the machine speeds around now speed isn't a
problem with Java anymore.

Quote:> 4) Is the API the for stored procedures the same as the JDBC API?

Yes!

Quote:> Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (please copy my
> email when responding to the newsgroup).

Why don't you read your possible replies to the stuff you post.
Quote:

> Mike

1. Java Stored Procedures...any thoughts?

[...]

2. Programmers, Web Developers, Network Admin Needed Now!! Top Pay! 9138

3. Calling a Java Stored Procedure from another Java Stored Stored Procedure

4. Error 21 - Sybase System 11.0.3

5. Gettting SQL0751N trying to call java stored procedure from a java stored procedure

6. CFP 1991 Computer Science for Environmental Protection Conf.

7. Calling Java Stored Procedure from SQL Stored Procedure

8. pager setup

9. Calling Java code on disc from a Java Stored Procedure

10. Debugging Java Stored Procs in Stored Procedure Builder

11. External Procedure or Java Stored Procedure

12. ---JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA---

13. Stored Procedures and java